5/22/13 No Data -T-Mobile Washington DC

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have the $70 prepaid plan with T-Mobile and currently have no data (but phone and Text are working fine). This problem started the morning, and the bill is paid :).

So far I've tried:

Toggle Mobile network
Reset APN
Reset Preferred Network Name
Reboot
Hard Reset to Cyanogenmod 10.1
Flashed a clean version of the stock rom (JB 4.1.1)

I've also gone to the T-Mobile store where they reset data services on their end and told me that several "prepaid towers are down".

Has anyone else had an issue with Data? Did you get a similarly frustrating response? If you have any other steps that may help, I'll try those as well.

EDIT:

I neglected to mention that I am able to connect to the web enough to download the splash page saying that I have no data. I've cleared my browser history and cache in addition to the hard reset and reflashed rom. If network services were down, I wouldn't be able to get to this page would I?

View attachment 69154

UPDATE

In case anyone else has this problem, NO level of T-Mobile rep was able to solve this, but they switched me to a no contract post paid plan. This seems to be working (but I'll reserve judgement for a few hours. I also got a credit for the data that I didn't receive.
Thank you,
NB

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Sorry i cant actually help you but "prepaid towers are down" thats a good one.. As if they have separate towers for each type of service. It amazes me how people like that still have jobs. These "reps" are supposed to be representing the company. I think a lot of them are there just for a paycheck.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was pretty peeved after that bit of customer service magic. They say that it's going to be fixed "In 72 hours" which was an obvious ploy to get me out of the store and hope that the problem fixes itself.

I guess I'm going to have to look for a new carrier. This is unacceptable.

nb

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I was pretty peeved after that bit of customer service magic. They say that it's going to be fixed "In 72 hours" which was an obvious ploy to get me out of the store and hope that the problem fixes itself.

I guess I'm going to have to look for a new carrier. This is unacceptable.

nb

They did this in NYC too. They claimed prepaid services were being "upgraded". They were not. They have very poor speeds and just took half the upload bandwidth and put it into the download so both sucked. See more here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-hspa-getting-slower-slower-anyone-else.html

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
They did this in NYC too. They claimed prepaid services were being "upgraded". They were not. They have very poor speeds and just took half the upload bandwidth and put it into the download so both sucked. See more here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...e-hspa-getting-slower-slower-anyone-else.html

Yeah, this was my initial thought, but it's not that I'm not getting data. It's that my personal data services don't work. My apologies I didn't clarify that.

The screenshot below is the splash page that comes up if I try to go on the internet. It downloads new every time ( I cleared history and cache in addition to the hard reset), so I know that I am getting data. T-Mobile just can't figure out how to give me what I paid for. That's what's actually getting me angry. If I thought that towers were down, or that my phone was broken, then I could deal with it. But, the phone is working enough to download this message.

Screenshot_2013-05-22-11-03-32.png

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Sorry i cant actually help you but "prepaid towers are down" thats a good one.. As if they have separate towers for each type of service. It amazes me how people like that still have jobs. These "reps" are supposed to be representing the company. I think a lot of them are there just for a paycheck.

I got confirmation today that all towers in the area are up and running. I was right in thinking that the CS rep was just blowing smoke. I'm still no closer to a fix though.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, this was my initial thought, but it's not that I'm not getting data. It's that my personal data services don't work. My apologies I didn't clarify that.

The screenshot below is the splash page that comes up if I try to go on the internet. It downloads new every time ( I cleared history and cache in addition to the hard reset), so I know that I am getting data. T-Mobile just can't figure out how to give me what I paid for. That's what's actually getting me angry. If I thought that towers were down, or that my phone was broken, then I could deal with it. But, the phone is working enough to download this message.

View attachment 69154

That is exactly what happened in NYC. It was only for 12 hours but they told me it was because they were upgrading prepaid plans.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
That is exactly what happened in NYC. It was only for 12 hours but they told me it was because they were upgrading prepaid plans.

Thanks. It's been 42 hours since I noticed, but it could have been longer since I'm on WiFi at home.

Was the issue city wide?

I guess I should take solace that neither of my phones are broken.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Android Central Forums

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Thanks. It's been 42 hours since I noticed, but it could have been longer since I'm on WiFi at home.

Was the issue city wide?

I guess I should take solace that neither of my phones are broken.

don't know if it was City wide but call T-Mobile again. they said they HAD to have my phone back working correctly within 48 hours guaranteed. so call them and let them know it's beyond that.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
don't know if it was City wide but call T-Mobile again. they said they HAD to have my phone back working correctly within 48 hours guaranteed. so call them and let them know it's beyond that.

They told me it would be fixed within 72 hours, but that was around 12 hours in to the problem.

I'll try that though.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

They still couldn't fix it, but they switched me to a no contract post paid plan that costs a little less due to my employer's discount. I also got a credit for the data that I didn't receive.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Is this new plan still no-data?

So far, data is working on the new plan, but my old number hasn't ported over yet. I'll hold full judgement until that happens.

The service rep at the T-mobile store was actually pretty great, even though she couldn't figure out what the original problem was. She switched me over no charge, got me a 12% monthly discount from my employer, and refunded the portion of service that I didn't receive.

She was knowledgeable, energetic, and nice...Of course she's quitting on Thursday. :-/

NB

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay