Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 1 Post By JeffDenver
  • 3 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 1 Post By tony bag o donuts
  • 1 Post By robtncqe
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Do you agree? Iphone 5 Photo quality is better than Nexus 4

My Wife has iPhone 5. I can clearly see that the photos she taken on her phone is far better then mine .

I compared the specs and they all look the same, any idea. Hope I am missing something

Default Re: Do you agree? Iphone 5 Photo quality is better than Nexus 4

I have iphone 4 and nexus 4 and I must admit that photos taken on iphone are much better especially with front camera. That is uncomparable with nexus 4. And iphone 5 can have only better than that.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

All 8mp cameras are not created equally. Megapixels is only a small part of the equation that makes a camera what it is. There is a reason you can buy a 16mp point and shoot camera for like $50.
    Thanked by:

I don't own an iPhone 5, so I can't compare it to that, but I do think that my EVO (the original) takes better photos than the N4. One reason is because I'm self-employed, and I deposit a lot of checks using my bank's mobile app. With the EVO, I never had to retake a photo of a check. With the N4, the app rejects about half of the photos. Sometimes I have to take three or four photos before the app says it's good enough.

I have both, love the Nexus 4 for many reasons but camera isn't one of them. The iPhone 5 camera spanks it and the Nexus 4 camera is behind other Android phones as well. iPhone 5 camera is better than the Note 2 and S4 as well especially in low light. Well the S4 camera is good everything but low light compared to the iPhone 5.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

I came from a 4s... I find the nexus to take as good a pic as my 4s... but really feel the 4s pics were consistently better than the nexus. it doesnt focus and measure light as well as the iphone imo. it doesnt compare to an iphone 5

Global Posts
    2,266 Global Posts
    ROM
    Clean ROM

The iPhone Just has a better camera, there really isn't much more to it. The iPhone has one of the best cameras on the market

- VZW GS4 -

Global Posts
    100 Global Posts

The iPhone 5 absolutely destroys the Nexus 4 in the camera department.

With that being said. The nexus still shoots pretty good pictures and since I'm no pro photographer and most of my pics end up in g+ and Facebook ****ty resolution I'm totally fine with it.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by shortduck View Post
    My Wife has iPhone 5. I can clearly see that the photos she taken on her phone is far better then mine .

I compared the specs and they all look the same, any idea. Hope I am missing something
    The specs mean nothing. Quality matters more. A high quality 5MP camera is far more desirable than a 13MP camera with crappy quality.

The iPhone 5 probably does have better quality, but not as much as you'd think. It is not that the iPhone 5 is all that great, it is that the Nexus 4 has a mediocre camera for it's generation. The nexus 4 does do some stuff better (it's macro mode is far better IMO), but the iPhone 5 has much better low light support. The nexus seems to have a lot less noise than iPhone cameras as well.

Also, Apple is notorious for tweaking their photos immediately after taking them. Their software ups the saturation and contrast to give the illusion of a better image. But it is at the cost of detail. It is exactly the same stuff you can do in photoshop, except that the iPhone applies it immediately. All else being equal, I would prefer an image that was untouched that I could photoshop myself.

Here is an older thread on the subject.
    Nexus 4 vs iPhone 4S / 5 camera

It is not huge loss of face regardless for the Nexus 4...Cameras have always been an iPhone strong point. For a phone to be as good or better than the latest iPhone for the camera is a very big deal.
    Citizen Coyote likes this.

Global Posts
    548 Global Posts

While I don't have have a nexus I have a iphone 5 and s4. The iphone 5 spanks it in low light but any thing else the s4 wins with clarity. The 5 is one of the best camera phones but the s4 is a tad better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,945 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Take a look at some sample shots with the nexus 4. Many of these are quite good.
    Photos Taken With Your Nexus 4 Camera!

Also, there is one thing the iPhone 5 can't do that the nexus 4 can; Photospheres. And Photospheres are awesome.

ROM
    4.1.2 stock JB

well if you know how to take pictures... quality doesn't really make that much of a difference. The main thing in the picture is the subject and if u have skills you can take pretty good picture where details of quality just not the main point.

Who cares if the camera is better on the iPhone, the rest of it sucks.

Don't have the Iphone, so I can't comment on that, but for me so far, which software you use makes all the difference... and for which situation too. There are low light cam apps and HDR too... all sorts of options out there to play with that go beyond what the native cam app gives you. That said, I think I read a rumor of the next Android version to have a seriously upgraded native cam app.

Global Posts
    796 Global Posts

Can it be the software too? If yes, hopefully 4.3 will have a fix for that.

Yes.

Because Apple pays Sony and Kodak (or whoever owns Kodak's patents now) a boat load of money to use their software to process the raw data the camera hardware captures. Google doesn't, and uses only freely redistributable software to process the same data.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    taylorz_412, mr_nobody and rupam95 like this.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

What The Beard said...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    rupam95 likes this.

There is no doubt that in my usage with both devices that iphone 5 takes much better pictures than Nexus 4.
    Moto X 32GB Pure, iPhone 6 Plus Unlocked, OnePlus One (64GB),Xperia Z2, LG G3, Lumia 925 8.1 Cyan, Nexus 5 (32GB), Moto X (32GB), Lumia 1020, Google Edition S4, Galaxy S4 (32GB), S4 Active, Nexus 4, Note 2, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note (ATT), Galaxy Note Intl., Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, Nexus S, Atrix 2, Atrix, Galaxy S1 Captivate, Nexus 7 (32GB), iPad 4, Dell Venue Pro 8, iPad Air 2

Megapixels is only a small part of the equation that makes a camera what it is.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by robtncqe View Post
    Megapixels is only a small part of the equation that makes a camera what it is.http://www.gqrg.info/5m.jpg
    Yep! I shoot with 10 mp dslr's but my sensor is small, so bad shooting in low light.
    Anything honestly above 8-12mp for a camera is just good IMHO when cropping in tight to a photo.
    Resident Ringtone Maker

Global Posts
    7,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    BB JB

Quote Originally Posted by planoman View Post
    There is no doubt that in my usage with both devices that iphone 5 takes much better pictures than Nexus 4.
    Wife has iphone 4s. Son's have had every ipod touch since the beginning of time The ipod touch4 and 5 and even the iphone 4s take the best quality photos IMHO.

I get amazed at some of the pics my wife can output with her HTC One X, but it goes beyond just point and shoot. Most people couldn't take a really good quality pic no matter which phone you give them.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Camera wise: Lumia 920 > iPhone > Most Android. I've used them all and that's my opinion. I have a Nexus 4 now.

Posted via Android Central App