OMG! Just Ordered my New Nexus 4 Excited and Nervous at the same time. New to Android.

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
After several long weeks of non-stop researching I finally went ahead and finalized my order through the Google Play store for my Nexus 4 (Black). I have been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and finally making the switch to Android (I still love my iPad mini though :D)

I'm excited and nervous because I'm second guessing whether I made the right choice by going with the Nexus 4. I'm leaving behind my iPhone 4, which I'm sure the Nexus will be at least twice as fast so not worried so much about that but stepping out of the Apple Eco-system here as far as Apps, Support and warranty is a bit frightening. The reviews I've read have been mostly positive for the Nexus 4 so I'm hoping to keep it for a few years but just worried what happens when something goes wrong. I'm so used to just going into an Apple Store and having my options.

Its daunting but I'm still excited for the change and the new device. I hope I don't kick myself later for not getting the HTC One instead. But Price point on device was critical as I'm trying to save money off my monthly bill by switching to T-Mobile $30 a month. AT&T was killing me with $75 a month in a family plan.

Thanks for listening. I'll update the forums with my first impressions once I get my hands on the device and be on the look out for lots of questions from this new Android User.

Mikey

dnryon

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
You should not be nervous. You made the right choice. The Google ecosystem is much better anyway. Apple just tries to lock you in.
Congratulations. White or black edition?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
After several long weeks of non-stop researching I finally went ahead and finalized my order through the Google Play store for my Nexus 4 (Black). I have been an iPhone user for the last 5 years and finally making the switch to Android (I still love my iPad mini though :D)

I'm excited and nervous because I'm second guessing whether I made the right choice by going with the Nexus 4. I'm leaving behind my iPhone 4, which I'm sure the Nexus will be at least twice as fast so not worried so much about that but stepping out of the Apple Eco-system here as far as Apps, Support and warranty is a bit frightening. The reviews I've read have been mostly positive for the Nexus 4 so I'm hoping to keep it for a few years but just worried what happens when something goes wrong. I'm so used to just going into an Apple Store and having my options.

Its daunting but I'm still excited for the change and the new device. I hope I don't kick myself later for not getting the HTC One instead. But Price point on device was critical as I'm trying to save money off my monthly bill by switching to T-Mobile $30 a month. AT&T was killing me with $75 a month in a family plan.

Thanks for listening. I'll update the forums with my first impressions once I get my hands on the device and be on the look out for lots of questions from this new Android User.

Mikey

Congratulations. Welcome to the world of Android. You'll never look back and won't miss a thing.

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to getting my N4. I got the Black one with the free black bumper they are offering in the Play store. I wanted the White one and was excited when the announced it but I think the black looks slick and classy and polished and I like that the sides are rubberized and not plastic like the white one.

Question: I ordered it just a bit ago and it says shipping by June 6th. Why so long to ship? Anyone else just order one recently?

Mikey

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to getting my N4. I got the Black one with the free black bumper they are offering in the Play store. I wanted the White one and was excited when the announced it but I think the black looks slick and classy and polished and I like that the sides are rubberized and not plastic like the white one.

Question: I ordered it just a bit ago and it says shipping by June 6th. Why so long to ship? Anyone else just order one recently?

Mikey

I ordered mine a couple of weeks ago and had it within 3 days of ordering it.

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

Mikey

Don't know why they state the ship date so far out. My ship date stated like a week out, but ended up shipping in 24 hours, and it was on my doorstep within 3 days of odering. Word of advice, if you are going prepaid with Tmobile, you might want to consider paying the extra for expedited shipping for your sim. I did standard shipping, which is 5 - 8 business days, but it took the full 8 business days, so it was like 2 weeks! There was no way to track it either so I went kind of nuts waiting.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site

Mikey

Be happy you weren't here in the first few months, when people were waiting weeks or more for their phone. But then, if you're a long-term iPhone user, you may be used to that, too. :)

Only piece of advice I can give you is this: remember that Android is not iOS. If you're married to certain features of iOS, like how it handles notifications, you may be disappointed by the various Android solutions to imitate that. Don't give up! Don't try to make your Nexus a duplicate of iOS. Instead, embrace what's different and explore new ways of looking at things. You may just find an app that works better for you than stock Android or iOS. That's the beauty of Android.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Mikey

Welcome to the forums!
This may help: http://forums.androidcentral.com/general-help-how/137252-apple-users-guide-android.html

I agree with coyote...keep an open mind about it. It is a new OS, it will take time to adjust.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Word of advice, if you are going prepaid with Tmobile, you might want to consider paying the extra for expedited shipping for your sim. I did standard shipping, which is 5 - 8 business days, but it took the full 8 business days, so it was like 2 weeks! There was no way to track it either so I went kind of nuts waiting.

Wow I can imagine how that felt! I had a prepaid T-Mobile phone for awhile so I already had a SIM. Actually I exchanged it at a T-Mobile store because it was a regular size SIM, and I needed the Micro SIM.

Just today I saw that my local Walmart has T-Mobile SIMs on the shelf. To the OP, if you're going with T-Mobile, check your local Walmart before ordering online. IIRC it cost $40, including a refill card for $30, so basically $10 for the SIM card.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
LOL! I was paying $92 with Verizon...and that was not unlimited everything like on T-Mobile.

I always recommend that iPeople go to a Nexus device first. The UI will be consistent like on the iPhone, and it will always be fast and well supported. The Nexus 4 will be getting OS updates years after HTC has forgotten about the One and moved on. The Galaxy Nexus has the same version of Android that my nexus 4 has right now, with all the same features...how likely is it that the One will have the latest version of Android 18 months from now? My last phone was an HTC Rezound and I have come to despise Sense. HTC's support was just awful as well.

The Nexus 4 does not have the best Hardware on Android right now (The One has more internal memory, a better camera, and nice front-facing speakers). But it is better than the best iPhone in every way except maybe the camera. Awesome display, fast CPU, NFC support, and all the latest toys the OS has to offer (Photosphere is aweome and I use it all the time).

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...I always recommend that iPeople go to a Nexus device first. The UI will be consistent...

Good point. The GF has a Galaxy S II on T-Mo since the tail end of Gingerbread. She got it all set up and found where everything is. Then it got updated to Ice Cream Sandwich. I helped her do the manual update and "Waaah - everything changed!" She got it all set up and found where everything is. Then it got updated to Jelly Bean. I helped her do the manual update and "Waaah - everything changed!"

Signed,
Yon Yonson

justmikey

May 22, 2013
Visit site
Still waiting for delivery. It says out for delivery since 6am and it's now 8:45pm!!!
I just called UPS to make sure they are still coming and she said they would but might be late. I've never gotten a UPS package after 7pm so lets hope she's right the wait is killing me!

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Still waiting for delivery. It says out for delivery since 6am and it's now 8:45pm!!!
I just called UPS to make sure they are still coming and she said they would but might be late. I've never gotten a UPS package after 7pm so lets hope she's right the wait is killing me!

Did u get it??

Sent from my Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2