gMail update

fletch007

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Updated this morning and no categories? I have an HTC One, anyone else having this issue? Kind of torn about it, seems like some people really don't like the whole categories thing. I'd like to give it a try though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

mamutarka

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Categories are on mobile gmail only if you have them enabled on your desktop gmail, afaik

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Updated this morning and no categories? I have an HTC One, anyone else having this issue? Kind of torn about it, seems like some people really don't like the whole categories thing. I'd like to give it a try though. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Yep, what mamutarka - go to the desk top version and configure your inbox to show tabs.

olgeezer44

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow! I'm sure thankful for these forums and the nice people on them. I'm an old geezer and getting a late start with smartphones. I use gmail on my desktop, my wife's laptop, Nexus 10 and Nexus 4. The light bulb finally went on for the "aha! moment"--the pc version of gmail and mobile apps versions are quite different. I didn't like those colored blocks and initially thought that Google had taken away the check boxes. I know they took away the trash can icon. I didn't know about swiping to delete until I read this thread. I'm fairly new to touch screens also. Like a lot of my fellow geezers, I like the "old way" better---until I find out the the new way is pretty cool--most of the time :).

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Categories are on mobile gmail only if you have them enabled on your desktop gmail, afaik

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I am sorry but categories are there in desktop and Android. you can enable/disable them in gmail-->menu-->settings-->[your account]-->Inbox categories

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I am sorry but categories are there in desktop and Android. you can enable/disable them in gmail-->menu-->settings-->[your account]-->Inbox categories
Inbox categories only appears if you've set it up on the desktop first. After you toggle the categories in the desktop, you can selectively enable/disable which ones show on the phone, but those changes do not propagate back up to the desktop. However, changes made on the desktop overwrite what's set on the phone. Nothing you change on the phone mirrors on the desktop; everything chosen on the desktop shows up on the phone. The only benefit I see is that you don't need to manually set individual notifications for the inboxes.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
So whats up with these big, ugly #'s to the left of the emails now?
I think those picture/alphabet icons look fantastic. The iOS gmail app has had that for ages and it is why I considered the gmail app on Android to be ugly when I switched from iPhone to N4. Finally it is catching up.

fletch007

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Inbox categories only appears if you've set it up on the desktop first. After you toggle the categories in the desktop, you can selectively enable/disable which ones show on the phone, but those changes do not propagate back up to the desktop. However, changes made on the desktop overwrite what's set on the phone. Nothing you change on the phone mirrors on the desktop; everything chosen on the desktop shows up on the phone. The only benefit I see is that you don't need to manually set individual notifications for the inboxes.

Thanks for all of the advice. I didn't have it turned on in the desktop, but now I do and still no categories listed in my settings. I uninstalled all updates for the gmail app and then reinstalled. Still no luck. Will keep trying, thanks again.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2