- 27 Posts
How to tell if I have 3G signal?
Had my shiny, significantly better than iPhone 4s, Google Nexus 4 since Friday. I'm completely new to Android and I have found a lot of help in the forums!
I have a H symbol where my signal bars are, I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me what this means? I never seem to have 3G here?
Thanks in advance!
- 06-05-2013, 06:37 AM #2
- 06-05-2013, 10:03 AM #4
- 1,358 Posts
Re: How to tell if I have 3G signal?
"H" stands for HSPA+, which is faster than standard 3G (you can think of it as 4G). You will usually only see it when the phone is actively downloading something, as normally it will idle on 3G. But if you do see it, rest assured you're all good. As for being charged extra, generally 4G/HSPA (and 3G) data counts against whatever data limit or cap you have. It won't cost you extra unless you have no data plan at all.
Two other symbols you may see when you're in areas of weak signal or rural regions...
E - Edge, or 2G. This is only good for checking your email and light web browsing (mainly text pages).
G - GSM, or 1G. More or less worthless in my experience, you might be able to get email but that's about it.
- By Giffen23 in forum HTC One M7Replies: 15Last Post: 01-06-2015, 09:44 PM
- By mcross72 in forum Amazon Kindle Fire 2Replies: 10Last Post: 09-24-2014, 12:44 PM
- By justintyme18 in forum Verizon HTC ThunderboltReplies: 7Last Post: 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM
- By AllGood in forum Incredible Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 3Last Post: 06-28-2010, 05:28 PM
- By scaots in forum Google / HTC Nexus OneReplies: 3Last Post: 06-28-2010, 12:45 AM