Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Just got my Nexus 4!!!!

Just arrived an hour ago and I am blown away so far!! Amazing! Loving this device so far. First observation is that it does get pretty warm quickly. I'm connected to WiFi only and have been using the phone for only 15-20min on web and playing around with photosphere and the phone is warmer than my iPhone 4 during normal use. Most times I will only experience this type of warmth on my iPhone if I'm using it in an area with poor WiFi or if I've been on it for several hours non-stop. Hope its nothing. We'll see. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Re: Just got my Nexus 4!!!!

I was an iphone user for many years and remembered sharing your same thoughts when I switched and got my nexus 4.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Did it ever resolve for you? Or did you just get used to it?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

When I took my nexus out of the box it had 44% battery. I'm at 22% battery now and Im only using WiFi. Haven't put a Sim card in yet. Shouldn't my battery be better if I'm on wifi instead of cellular? Could not having cellular/ SIM cause excess battery drain?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just got my Nexus 4!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1370493507360.jpg   Just got my Nexus 4!!!!-uploadfromtaptalk1370493521057.jpg  

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by justmikey View Post
    When I took my nexus out of the box it had 44% battery. I'm at 22% battery now and Im only using WiFi. Haven't put a Sim card in yet. Shouldn't my battery be better if I'm on wifi instead of cellular? Could not having cellular/ SIM cause excess battery drain?

Well the only downside I see with this phone is the battery life. It simply isn't the best compared to other phones. Your going to have to adjust the brightness and other settings to try and get the most out of it. Being on WiFi helps get better battery life. Plus I've heard that it takes a couple of charging cycles to get the battery to perform better. But I usually have an extra charger with me so I don't worry about it that much.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yeah this is what I gathered about the battery from all the other reviews too. I'll continue to test this out and see how it goes. I'm usually near an outlet or charger all day at work anyway and I spend a large portion of my day in a WiFi enabled area.

I got my Nexus about a week ago and I Jane been thoroughly impressed with it. I have no complaints about the battery life. I can go twelve hours and end with 40 percent left. This is my first time buying an unlocked smartphone. I must say that this is the way to go.

justmikey and Emma Challis like this.

Regarding battery life, you will have to wait a week or so once you are settled in your usage of the phone I think. The first few days are not really reflective of how you are going to use the phone in the future. Also if you haven't done it already, you might want to consider rooting the phone. First because when you do it you will loose all your data, and second because it allows you to install a custom kernel and I think many people (including myself) have had very positive experiences with battery life and custom kernels.
    Emma Challis likes this.

Global Posts
    7,075 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Just arrived an hour ago and I am blown away so far!! Amazing! Loving this device so far. First observation is that it does get pretty warm quickly. I'm connected to WiFi only and have been using the phone for only 15-20min on web and playing around with photosphere and the phone is warmer than my iPhone 4 during normal use. Most times I will only experience this type of warmth on my iPhone if I'm using it in an area with poor WiFi or if I've been on it for several hours non-stop. Hope its nothing. We'll see. I'll play around with it some more and see how it goes.
    It's just warming up to you.
    justmikey and Emma Challis like this.

Congrats!

I upgraded from an iPhone 4S to a Nexus and I must say what a fantastic piece of kit!

Don't worry too much about the remaining battery estimation as it is based on your current usage and as it's a shiny new phone you're going to have it in your hand more than normal. For example, if you play games for ten minutes it will give you an estimate of how much longer your battery will last if you continue to play games. Attached is an example of my remaining battery and I took my phone off charge at 8am, sent about five texts via WhatsApp and spent about 10 minutes on Facebook.

Might I suggest you try batteryGuru? It takes two days to learn about how you use your phone and makes battery adjustments based on that. The best part is that it switches my wifi off if I leave the house and turns it back on when I get to work! Whether it's actually saving me any battery I don't know because I've not had the luxury of the phone going flat yet! Also, if you don't have a wireless charger, turn NFC off and obviously bluetooth. I can't even remember the last time I used bluetooth!

ENJOY!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Just got my Nexus 4!!!!-screenshot_2013-06-06-10-31-21.png  
    Thanked by 2:
    Darth Spock and justmikey like this.

My N4 used alot of battery when I first got it because I was ot constantly adjusting it, adding widgets, etc.. Now it easily goes all day, and lasts better than my Samsung Exhibit that it replaced.
    Thanked by:

Didn't you let it charge to 100% before you started using it?
    Last edited by Captainbob767; 06-06-2013 at 08:24 AM.
    Thanked by:
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

I agree going unlocked is the way to go. Feels so liberating. As for the device itself I love it. Just charged it up to 100% over night and will be testing it out further today to seen how the battery does then I'll move on to learning how to customize this little puppy to look and feel and do what I want. Yay!!

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Hahahaha! No! I got it out of the box and got straight to business lol. It got here at like 9pm because UPS was running late. I was working late and did not get home until about 10p so I wasted no time when I got in lol. But I did charge it over night to 100% and will play around with bit today some more and see how it goes.

Question: does the vibrate during typing use up more batter to make that vibration happen? Not use to that on iPhone but I would think it would deplete battery more. Any way to stop that? I went into settings and turned off vibrate on touch but I don't think that's the same as vibrate on typing.

Hahahaha! No! I got it out of the box and got straight to business lol. It got here at like 9pm because UPS was running late. I was working late and did not get home until about 10p so I wasted no time when I got in lol. But I did charge it over night to 100% and will play around with bit today some more and see how it goes.

Question: does the vibrate during typing use up more batter to make that vibration happen? Not use to that on iPhone but I would think it would deplete battery more. Any way to stop that? I went into settings and turned off vibrate on touch but I don't think that's the same as vibrate on typing.

Go into the keyboard settings and turn off vibrate on key press.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thanked by:
    justmikey likes this.

I think my battery life is about the same as what I get on my iPhone 4S. I have the brightness set at half way, maybe a bit higher.

I do occasionally get a glitch where the screen will turn on in my pocket and stay on till I use it for the first time, usually about an hour later. This is with the slide to unlock enabled. I also had a thing happen where it got warm in my pocket and after an hour finally checked it to find out the screen wouldn't come on. I had to hold the power button to get it to come back on and battery was down to 84& in that one hour. Another time I got a call and the slide to unlock wouldn't move. Found out all I had to do was press the sleep button and then turn it on again to answer the call.

They have a few glitches but it is still my main phone over my iPhone 4s. I never owned an iPhone that didn't have a wake up problem once in a while to where I had to reset it to get it to come back on.
    Thanked by:
    justmikey likes this.

Global Posts
    1,035 Global Posts

I find sometimes I have to reboot my N4 after putting SIM in, it will sometimes show very little battery left. Once it reboots, it will show a day-plus time on battery! quirky.
    justmikey likes this.

The reason they tell you to charge the phone to 100% when you get it before using it, is that the partial charge will exhaust pretty quickly. Every phone behaves that way, that I have owned.
    Thanked by:
    justmikey likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by petaf View Post
    I find sometimes I have to reboot my N4 after putting SIM in, it will sometimes show very little battery left. Once it reboots, it will show a day-plus time on battery! quirky.
    You take your sim in an out, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    The reason they tell you to charge the phone to 100% when you get it before using it, is that the partial charge will exhaust pretty quickly. Every phone behaves that way, that I have owned.
    I didn't have time to charge mine when I got it. I barely had time to call T-Mobile to activate it (I had originally bought mine through T-Mobile, free with two year contract and cancelled the contract). After activating, I had to go to work. The battery was at 75% out of the box. Seven hours later, it was about 60%. About three hours in, I had my contacts and email synced with my Google account.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Challis View Post
    Might I suggest you try batteryGuru? It takes two days to learn about how you use your phone and makes battery adjustments based on that. The best part is that it switches my wifi off if I leave the house and turns it back on when I get to work! Whether it's actually saving me any battery I don't know because I've not had the luxury of the phone going flat yet! Also, if you don't have a wireless charger, turn NFC off and obviously bluetooth. I can't even remember the last time I used bluetooth!
    I wouldn't recommend it, look at the reviews on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...agon.app&hl=en

I have used this one for a couple of years and love it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...der.plus&hl=en

Quote Originally Posted by Listicka View Post
    I wouldn't recommend it, look at the reviews on Google Play https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...agon.app&hl=en
    At the moment I've been using it for a couple of days and can't see any major issues with it :/
    jimmyb89 and justmikey like this.

Global Posts
    2,938 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

It does get warm. That is normal. The CPU is programmed to shut down cores and drop clock speed before any damage occurs though. Mine peaks around the mid 120s(F)...I would not worry about heat till at least the 140s. My normal temps are 65F to 95F though.

Unless it is getting warm at idle, I would not worry about it.

The warmer it is the less it will hold a charge. Your battery discharges faster the hotter it gets (re-charges slower as well). The Nexus 4 does not have the best battery IMO.

Since you just got it, the battery might not be displaying remaining charge correctly. Let it go through a few cycles first. Charge it to full and let it run down to almost zero, then recharge to full. The "battery remaining" is basically an estimate your phone is making.

Global Posts
    2,938 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

I agree going unlocked is the way to go. Feels so liberating. As for the device itself I love it. Just charged it up to 100% over night and will be testing it out further today to seen how the battery does then I'll move on to learning how to customize this little puppy to look and feel and do what I want. Yay!!
    There are, IMO, few benefits to being unlocked. The only reason I did it at all was to use a custom kernel...the Franco kernel allows me to tweak my display settings (I adjusted my gamma so that the saturation matches an iPhone...as good as the N4 display is, it can be even better).

The main reason I unlocked on my previous phones at all was to install vanilla android ROMs...with the Nexus 4 I already have that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast