Nexus4 + Google Voice + T-mobile == bad combination?

gads1

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hello -- I have been a t-mobile and android user for more than six years. I have used Google Voice on android voice since inception of using Android-based phone (ie. grand central).

As recently as one month ago, something has happened with how T-mobile and/or Google voice handle inbound calls.

I get a zillion calls per day. Depending on what I"m doing or where I'm at, I will frequently choose to "ignore" the inbound call with expectation that call forwarded to voicemail (ie. google voice for processing).

As of right now:
if someone calls my phone, I select "ignore" the call, home screen appears (all normal), 2-3 seconds passes, and phone will re-ring the original inbound call.

It is so very annoying.

I just lost 50min of life on t-mobile advanced support. they refreshed by voicemail carrier info and insure the Nexus4 forwarding info correct (for my google voice account).

They then instructed me to call LG and report the problem.

unsure if I should laugh or cry... LOL.

minnemike

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I would call that a unique problem. I have the same setup. That is extra strange though. It has to be something goofy with call forwarding. You probably have, but have you tried to simply disable it and then re-enable?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here, the call always be rings one last time before going to voicemail. Not a terribly big deal.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

mcshaggin

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
My money is on Google voice being the problem. I had google voice integrated on Sprint for a while. I realized all my phone call qaulity was really bad. Then I remembered I had done the integration. I cancelled it and audio was much better after that. I have since used google voice on Tmo, just once but it worked fine.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I use Google Voice on multiple Nexus 4 devices, each of them on T-Mobile, and haven't run into that issue myself. If you haven't already, I would try disassociating that number in your Google Voice settings. When you add it or enable it again, double-check that everything looks right.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus 4/Google Voice/T-Mobile combo and I get the extra ring after I dismiss a call. I actually had this exact problem with my Verizon Galaxy Nexus and Google Voice. It either has something to do with how call forwarding is handled by the phone or Google Voice itself. It is not a problem unique to T-Mobile's network in my experience.

When I got my Nexus 4, I had to call T-Mobile and ask them to set up call forwarding on the phone with my Google Voice number. Missed calls were not being forwarded to Google Voice voicemail before I did that. After they set it up, I started getting the "double call" issue.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello -- I have been a t-mobile and android user for more than six years. I have used Google Voice on android voice since inception of using Android-based phone (ie. grand central).

As recently as one month ago, something has happened with how T-mobile and/or Google voice handle inbound calls.

I get a zillion calls per day. Depending on what I"m doing or where I'm at, I will frequently choose to "ignore" the inbound call with expectation that call forwarded to voicemail (ie. google voice for processing).

As of right now:
if someone calls my phone, I select "ignore" the call, home screen appears (all normal), 2-3 seconds passes, and phone will re-ring the original inbound call.

It is so very annoying.

I just lost 50min of life on t-mobile advanced support. they refreshed by voicemail carrier info and insure the Nexus4 forwarding info correct (for my google voice account).

They then instructed me to call LG and report the problem.

unsure if I should laugh or cry... LOL.
I have T-Mobile + Google Voice + Nexus 4. I have not experienced this issue. It all works as expected for me.