Would you recommend rooting a n4

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
I recently got a nexus 4 and not sure whether I should root it :)
Do not root it unless you have a specific reason to. You already have Stock Android (which is the main reason to root most other phones IMO). So you already have no bloat. And without rooting you can continue to use OTA updates.

I rooted mine to be able to change display settings. Unless you have something you want to do that requires rooting, i would stay stock.

mcelmeel17

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
If you are into fine tuning things and experimenting with custom Roms (most of which are bug free) then yes. The customization aspects are endless. Unlocking the bootloader and rooting it is a very straight forward process thanks to some of the toolkits available. Read up on it and decide if it's something you want to partake in.

Posted via Android Central App

sropedia

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Just my 2 cents, out of all the phones I've owned and rooted, this phone has seen the most significant and noticeable boost in battery life from rooting it and running a custom rom. Battery life on stock was alright, not great. But now look what I get

6e2ejuma.jpg

6asuqa9y.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

PelegK

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
It's a must !
Takes the phone to a whole new level !
_____________________________________________________________________________________
Device: LG Nexus 4 (16gb Faster bin)
ROM: PA 3+ (UV -100)
Kernel: franco.Kernel Latest Nightly

--== @ Sign up Copy below for 20GB free cloud (instead of only 15gb) @==--
[link deleted by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends what you want to do with your device. For me rooting allows me to use some very nice apps such as Greenify. It also allows me to get better performance and battery life through custom roms and kernels.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
At the least, you can unlock the bootloader (which is what wipes all your files so do that as soon as possible if you're going to) and root it. As long as you don't flash a custom recovery and leave the system files alone, you'll still be able to take an OTA update.

If you want to take it all the way though, you'll still be able to flash a rooted image of the OTA update from one of the forums.

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Yes. I just unlocked, rooted and put on PA3+...AWESOME!!! Halo is cool little notification feature, plus the customization is awesome like always.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
My initial reason for rooting has always been to transfer data over from my previous phone and to add a battery icon in the status bar with %. But I already know that is just the beginning. I'm always looking for mods and hacks to flash that will improve on the functionality and look of the phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Do not root it unless you have a specific reason to. You already have Stock Android (which is the main reason to root most other phones IMO). So you already have no bloat. And without rooting you can continue to use OTA updates.

I rooted mine to be able to change display settings. Unless you have something you want to do that requires rooting, i would stay stock.

This. If you have to ask without giving specific reasons why you want to, then no, you should not root your phone.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
At the least, you can unlock the bootloader (which is what wipes all your files so do that as soon as possible if you're going to) and root it. As long as you don't flash a custom recovery and leave the system files alone, you'll still be able to take an OTA update.

If you want to take it all the way though, you'll still be able to flash a rooted image of the OTA update from one of the forums.

You can still perform an ota update with a custom recovery

Thanks the main reason I want to root is to get better battery life:)

Posted via Android Central App

Changing the screen settings is also a huge plus of rooting. It looks so much better when you calibrate the screen properly.

chrispher86

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So this is the first phone that I've rooted and I have enjoyed the benefits of custom roms. Carbon is the one that I've stuck with for a while now. Running custom roms can provide extra functionality such as overclocking/underclocking the CPU, full screen mode, and tethering without paying the carrier more money. If you're on T-Mobile then unlimited data to run two or more devices is great. Of course there are other reasons like being able to change the screen's color settings as well. As far as better battery life, I'm always on my phone so I can't say that my battery life is good at all. Idk. Maybe I'm just not doing it right but I am enjoying the phone more now than with just stock android. Anyways YouTube it, research it and if you mess up, someone's always here to help you correct your mistakes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae