Facebook app cannot connect via mobile network on Nexus 4

anon(23236)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
My Facebook app (including Messenger) cannot connect to Facebook over my wireless network. This has been happening for weeks now. All of my other apps, including the browser, can connect to the internet over my wireless network with no problems (I can even access the Facebook mobile website via the web browser). The Facebook app will only work over WiFi. When on my wireless network, it just shows "updating" for a long time, until eventually displaying a "network error" message.

There have been a few times in the past couple weeks, however, where the app will connect and update over the wireless network. Unfortunately, this only lasts a few hours or so, and then it resumes not working again. Perhaps this means I'm having account issues.

I have tried clearing the app data/cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, etc. to no avail. I am using stock Android on a Nexus 4.

Anyone else having this problem? I've searched the web for this problem, and information seems to be scarce.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had the same issue on my S4, but it all points to a problem with my carrier's LTE network, not the phone... Usually it'll work in the mornings without a hiccup, but after a few hours, Facebook and sometimes YouTube will go bonkers (even 'break' the 4G connection when I open them). If I switch to 3G they both work fine. Have you tried this? Moving from 4G to 3G?

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
My Facebook app (including Messenger) cannot connect to Facebook over my wireless network. This has been happening for weeks now. All of my other apps, including the browser, can connect to the internet over my wireless network with no problems (I can even access the Facebook mobile website via the web browser). The Facebook app will only work over WiFi. When on my wireless network, it just shows "updating" for a long time, until eventually displaying a "network error" message.

There have been a few times in the past couple weeks, however, where the app will connect and update over the wireless network. Unfortunately, this only lasts a few hours or so, and then it resumes not working again. Perhaps this means I'm having account issues.

I have tried clearing the app data/cache, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, restarting my phone, etc. to no avail. I am using stock Android on a Nexus 4.

Anyone else having this problem? I've searched the web for this problem, and information seems to be scarce.

The Facebook app has some serious issues. Erratic connections, forever to load, etc... I just use Chrome to go to the Facebook page and everything works perfectly. Facebook app has 1.4 million 1 star ratings on the Playstore page.https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.facebook.katana&hl=en&token=igwd8wta

anon(23236)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I've had the same issue on my S4, but it all points to a problem with my carrier's LTE network, not the phone... Usually it'll work in the mornings without a hiccup, but after a few hours, Facebook and sometimes YouTube will go bonkers (even 'break' the 4G connection when I open them). If I switch to 3G they both work fine. Have you tried this? Moving from 4G to 3G?

Thanks for the reply. The Nexus 4 doesn't have 4G, however, as it only has a HSPA+ GSM radio.

anon(23236)

May 17, 2010
Visit site

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
This is a long shot, but go into fb privacy settings and under security>active sessions, kill them all. Then clear cache and data for the app and log in fresh.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

anon(23236)

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out... The Facebook app has problems when WiFi is on when there is not a WiFi connection (I always just leave it on). If I disable WiFi, the app seems to work on the wireless network.

Marie Gefers

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I have a similar problem. I have a Droid Motorola Mini 444 KitKat. The Facebook app will not connect with Wi-Fi at home or anywhere else ... but will connect with 4G. I have also uninstalled & reinstalled the app a couple of times, cleared the FB cache, cleared the cache on my android, cleared data on the app, tried force stop. Facebook works on my phone through Google Chrome through Wi-Fi. I have tried everything short of trying a factory reboot on my phone.:'(