AOL Calendar syncing

pvman

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I am new the Android paradigm. I'm trying to understand the interrelationship with other services. My question is:

Is there a way to make my AOL calendar the default calendar so when I create new events they get put on the AOL Calendar instead of the Google Calendar? My Google Calendar is subscribed to my AOL Calendar's iCal address so I can display it on the phone. I want to create new events on the phone and have them show up on the AOL Calendar. Currently, new events default to the Google Calendar. In the Calendar app, if I uncheck the Google Calendar for sync'ing, the phone thinks I have no account configured and won't display the AOL Calendar, even though it is checked.

If the Calendar app has my Google account and my AOL Calendar checked for sync'ing and display, Settings -> Accounts -> Google shows a "Sync error" on the Calendar. Error says, "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly." The last Sync date is 3 days ago.

I've powered the phone on/off several times. Contacts/Currents/App Data, etc. are sync'ing normally.

pvman

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: AOL Calendar syncing - SOLVED

I discovered the answer myself. It is actually quite simple.

To add an AOL calendar to Android and have it be read/writable, one needs to install the Funv10 app by Funambol. It's in the Google Play store.

Once installed and open, one will see the login screen. In the lower right hand corner there is a button entitled, "Already have an account?". Click that and enter your AOL credentials (username/password) and in the "Server" field, enter: http://msync.aol.com/sync.

From there one will be presented with the items to sync (Contacts, Calendar, Photos, etc.). I only wanted Calendar, so I just chose. "Calendar".

Once sync'ed, I could uncheck my Google Account calendar as a calendar to display. Any new events created get sync'ed to my AOL Calendar.

Works great so far!

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Honestly you probably didn't get an answer because you might be one of the last few individuals standing when it comes to using AOL services like the Calendar.

ELForrence

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Com'mon. That's only geek snobbiness at work (and I've been a computer person for over 40 years). AOL mail is still a major player in the market; and should be supported as same ...

- - - Updated - - -

Com'mon. That's only geek snobbiness at work (and I've been a computer person for over 40 years). AOL mail is still a major player in the market; and should be supported as same ...

Not Quite Right

Trusted Member
May 6, 2013
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

That made smile... 40 years huh?

Posted via Android Central App

katey106

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

when i try to do this i get an "Invalid URL" error. I have double checked and triple checked the instructions and the error still comes up.

pvman

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

when i try to do this i get an "Invalid URL" error. I have double checked and triple checked the instructions and the error still comes up.

Actually, I've discovered a more functional tool. Instead of using FunV10, use CalDAV-Beta. You will have to pay $2.89 (US), but it works a lot better.

The problem with FunV10 is, if one has multiple calendars configured on their AOL account, FunV10 aggregates them. You see the events on the device's calendar, but you can't tell which of the individual calendars it originated. If one wants to create a new event using their device, he/she will not be able to select which calendar to place the event. This is important if one has multiple calendars with each shared to different a person/groups.

CalDAV-Beta shows each calendar individually on the device. In addition one can color code each calendar. If one creates a new event using the device, he/she can choose the calendar the event is to be added.

Basically, CalDAV-Beta presents your non-Google calendar (AOL, Yahoo!, etc.) just as the Google calendars are presented on the device.

In addition, it also allow you to import and maintain your AOL tasks.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I remember dads old work used to use AOL.
You can import other calenders into Google Calender and when you adjust the AOL one it will adjust the google etc.

pvman

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

I remember dads old work used to use AOL.
You can import other calenders into Google Calender and when you adjust the AOL one it will adjust the google etc.

Yeah, but it was my desire to not "recreate the wheel". I already had a mature and functioning calendar with auxillary calendars shared to family, clubs, friends, etc. I didn't want to create another level of indirection. My desire was to have my Android devices interact directly with the AOL service as simply/easily as those "fruity" devices do.

Suffice it to say, I was disappointed to see that the "fruity" devices performed CalDAV subscriptions natively, but Android required a third party add-on.

None-the-less, the add-on is well written and performs very well. My Android devices manipulate my AOL calendars/tasks without using Google as a "go-between".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey