Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Trade up a Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus 4?

Hi guys,

I currently have a Galaxy Nexus and have had it for about a year. It's been great up to now, and honestly, it's been the best all around smart phone I've ever had. The software has been a big part of that. Having all the features of Android as a Google experience has been great, and the timely updates have been pretty good (though I am on Sprint, they've actually done a great job of getting the updates out within about 2 months, which in comparison to HTC and Samsung phones that is GREAT). I've gotten spoiled and I don't think I can ever do a non Nexus phone again.

That being said, it is getting long in the tooth and showing it's age. I've been considering getting a Nexus 4, but can't really afford to put down $350 right now (although that IS a great price for the device). I saw that T-Mobile has the Nexus 4 at $0 and $17 per month for a total cost of $408, which isn't bad. Their service in my area is better than Sprint so I wouldn't mind switching carriers. But is it even worth it at this point? It's been out for the better part of a year, and the next generation is expected within the next four months. I could just hold out and wait, especially since the next one will likely have a better camera.

Just looking for some suggestions I suppose. Any comments will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    MERCDROID likes this.

Default Re: Trade up a Galaxy Nexus for a Nexus 4?

I think you should hold out for the next gen. It'll most likely have the same price yet more up-to-date specs (Even though the N4 is a beast already). Plus you'll have time to save up and buy it upfront from google.

The only thing about waiting for the next one is that there is no guarantee that you will be able to get it. The Nexus 4 was sold out for a long while and those who were able to preorder it didn't receive it on time. I'm not saying that it will definitely happen this next time around. But the Nexus is growing in popularity and many are waiting for the next installment. Furthermore, the first batch seems to always have hardware issues. It may be best just to get the Nexus 4 now and not have to go through any of those issues. All of the accessories are out for it. And you now have two colors to choose from.

sent from my Nexus 4; so fresh and so clean

If your not a person who has to have the next latest and greatest then its worth considering. The N4 is no slouch by any means. It will/should continue to receive strong Google support for the next addition of Android update and possibly even more after. Seems like the average Google support life for the Nexus line is minimum 2 years.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I'm surprised that I haven't seen any leaked photos of the Nexus 5 yet. Seems like this time last year there were leaked images all over the place.

Make the move...

A) The 0.00% financing on the phone sounds like a plan you need
    B) Going from Sprint EV-DO to T-Mo H+ 42 will be a huge improvement
    C) No guarantee on what the next Nexus will price at or if any carrier will have it in store
    D) Sounds like you are ready to move on from the phone and the carrier you have currently

The only drawback I see is that your CDMA GNex probably won't be getting on the Ubuntu Touch train when it leaves the station...
    Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 Amber
    LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Pre-release Ubuntu-System Beta
    Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
    yfan likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post
    I'm surprised that I haven't seen any leaked photos of the Nexus 5 yet. Seems like this time last year there were leaked images all over the place.

I think we'll start seeing leaks in the coming months.

Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I have the SGSIII, which i love, but i've always wanted the Nexus4. My AT&T contract is up in Apr.2014, and hopefully by then the Nexus5 will be out. I live in a 4G LTE zone, and that's the only reason that i haven't gotten the Nexus4. I do have the "unlimited everything" family plan, which i heard was being phased out for "new" customers, so i should be good to go if i get the Nexus5, and put the sim from my SGSIII into it. If i'm mistaken, someone please come back at me, and give me some better advice. Thanks for any help.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

Quote Originally Posted by dkhmwilliams View Post

The Nexus 5 will be the Motorola X. I was never crazy about Motorola phones.

Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    Are you sure about that? Well, Motorola did make the RAZR. Say what you will, there was a time when most people had one in their pocket.

The Nexus 5 will be the Motorola X.
    No idea where you got that impression.
    ConTejas likes this.

If they make a Nexus 5, it will probably be at the same price point which you stated you can't afford. I just upgraded to the N4 coming from the Google Nexus and really like the phone. Much faster on both Wi-Fi and network connections. Also with a quad core and 2 gigs of RAM, it will take awhile to become outdated in specs. I think you will be very happy with the N4 just like myself coming from the same phone you currently have.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    arcoms 

The only reason why I think this is false is because from what I heard about the X it is supposed to have carrier bloatware on it and it won't be entirely stock but closer to it.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Just because the Moto X will be on all carriers and run stock Android, it doesn't necessarily mean it WILL be the next Nexus. I think that's more along the lines of the "Nexus Experience" editions manufacturers are doing now (Samsung Galaxy S4, HTC One, etc.).

The other thing to consider is to buy the Nexus 4 now and sell it when the Nexus 5 comes out. As others have said, no guarantee your carrier will offer the 5 so you could go many more months of waiting. No one knows what the price of the new Nexus will be either. Just my 02 cents.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Global Posts
    802 Global Posts

Do you know what kind of plan you will need (not the one you will be on if you get a phone on an installment plan from T-Mobile, but what's the plan you can do with)? The reason I ask you to consider this is that if you don't talk on the phone much, you may be able to avail yourself to the T-mobile prepaid plan for $30 a month that includes 100 minutes, but unlimited texting and 5 GB of high speed data. If you can do with this plan, you may well be saving $30 a month as opposed to your monthly plan that you would otherwise get. At that rate of savings, it might well be worth putting the Nexus 4 (or the next Nexus phone) on a credit card and paying it off a little by little.

Counting taxes and delivery charged on the play store, the 16 GB model will cost you about $380, as opposed to T-mobile's $408. That's a little more than 7% extra, which if you can pay the phone off on a credit card even in 4 months (assuming a CC interest rate of 20%), you will still come out ahead/even and be able to choose a plan that will cost you less. Factor in the monthly savings if you can do with the $30 prepaid plan, and you can take a bit more time to pay off your credit card too.

Have you considered buying a used nexus 4? I bought mine 8gb from CL a few weeks back.

Posted via Android Central App

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by arcoms View Post
    But is it even worth it at this point? It's been out for the better part of a year, and the next generation is expected within the next four months. I could just hold out and wait, especially since the next one will likely have a better camera.
    If money is an issue for you, yes, it is worth it. Because none of the alternatives will touch the pricepoint of the Nexus 4 anytime soon. You can get a Vanilla S4 of HTC One, and both are better in every way...but they are not cheap, and as far as I know, they will not be subsidized anytime soon. The Nexus 4 is comparable to both in speed and abilities, even if they are technically better in a lot of ways.

The Nexus 4 is significantly better than the Galaxy Nexus IMO. It is a real nexus device without the verizon strings on the Galaxy nexus. It has a better display, better camera (far superior Macro mode, and a lot less noise in normal pictures), MUCH faster CPU, double the RAM, Wireless charging and NFC. If you already like the Galaxy Nexus, you will like this phone a lot more. The extra horsepower is very noticeable when multi-tasking.

Downsides: It is more fragile than the Galaxy nexus. You cannot expand/upgrade the battery.

IMO, the Next Nexus will not be out till at least November, if then. The price is good and T-Mobile will subsidize you. So I recommend pulling the trigger on the Nexus 4.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    ...You cannot expand/upgrade the battery...
    Now you can...

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Now you can...

How are they cramming a battery twice as big into the same space? There is NOT a lot of room in the nexus 4...it is very tight in there. It says there is no new battery door for this product.

Also, how does this affect the heat? The Nexus 4 uses the battery for it's heat dissipation.

Without some reviews, I would avoid this product.
    Scott7217 likes this.

The battery is built into the case... Charge the case > Insert Phone > Go, Man, Go.

It adds double the capacity for a total of 6600.

Still waiting on picks to see how much bulk is added to the N4. I'm checking daily on Mugen, Google Images and You Tube.

ROM

The battery is built into the case... Charge the case > Insert Phone > Go, Man, Go.

It adds double the capacity for a total of 6600.

Still waiting on picks to see how much bulk is added to the N4. I'm checking daily on Mugen, Google Images and You Tube.
    Where is the case? The picture shown is a naked N4...this implies that it replaces (does not add to) the existing battery.

Are there any images of the actual product anywhere?

Global Posts
    89 Global Posts

At what point do we all say, "ok the phones are fast enough, data speeds are fast enough, we don't need so much speed and specs." It's a personal device. It's not meant to teleport you somewhere else of edit HD video for television. NASA didn't keep trying to build a faster space shuttle, Hell they just scrapped the program because it was too expensive. When will we scrap our phones because they are too expensive.

With that said, if you can't afford it don't get it. Wait until you have the money and buy what YOU want and/or need.
    Most mods in forums are like the the hall monitors in school. They enjoy the power trip.

Global Posts
    3,438 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

Now you can...
    At $89.50, you must be joking.

Global Posts
    2,597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (soon to be PA3)

I'd say wait until the Nexus 5 release. It seems like while you want to move on, you're pretty happy with the GNex for the time being and that you wouldn't mind waiting a few months.

Also, because of the price, remember that chances are T-Mobile will be less expensive than your current Sprint plan, making up for the $350. Also, when the N5 comes out, you don't have to buy it. You can go on Ebay or Amazon and buy an N4 for significantly lower than the retail price and what they're selling for now on Ebay and Amazon.

Just my $0.019-$0.021
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast