Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jnorton2724
  • 1 Post By gusar2000
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    146 Global Posts

Default Potential Nexus 4 Buyer Question

Was wondering about battery life from some of you guys who've had the device for a while now. I'm an average user in most days. Thanks for the help.

Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 06-25-2013 at 04:02 PM.

Default Re: Potential Nexus Buyer Question

Battery life is like any other device with a good size screen. With the right setup, the average user will easily get through the day. I am a heavy user but since I have a program to help with battery usage and the right settings, I make it until I get home without recharging. If I need to recharge, I can always plug it into my car .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    6,777 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Keep in mind battery life is very subjective and varies based on personal use. Perhaps people can post their battery stats screen to give you an idea of how often they are using the phone in relation to battery life.
    Thanked by:
    jtb79 

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by jtb79 View Post
    Was wondering about battery life from some of you guys who've had the device for a while now. I'm an average user in most days. Thanks for the help.
    You cannot upgrade the battery. In theory they could sell extended batteries for it, but this is unlikely to happen because (IMO) Nexus sales are not high enough to support it.

I use mine for web browsing, music, and reading books mostly. I can usually go a full 12 hour day from 100 to zero. I typically charge while at work, but not anywhere else...so my charge will last all night and through the next morning, usually with 20-40% to spare. I do not dim the display, but I do turn the phone off when I'm not using it. Battery life in not awful, but is not great. This battery withers under gaming too...so if you are a phone gamer, I'd recommend getting one with an extended battery. Also, the hotter it is, the faster it loses it's charge. If you live in a warm climate, battery life will be worse.

The battery is very good at holding a charge though. If I go to bed with 63% remaining, I will wake up with 63% remaining. When the display is off, it is using virtually no power.

If you spend most of the day connected to Wi-Fi, you should be able to go at least two days between charges unless you spend a lot of that time doing processor-intensive stuff such as gaming. If you spend most of the day connected to cellular, a fully charged battery when you wake up should last until you go to bed. That's based on my experiences.

Regarding extended batteries, everything I've seen so far is DIY, such as

I easily go through the day and charge it at night,

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Heavy gaming will definitely eat the battery, not only through the processor use but also screen-on time. If you use your phone moderately outside of that, you should have no problem making it through a whole day. I unplug between 7:00-7:15 am and the phone sits on wireless most of the day (either at work or at home). Typically I check email, texts, social media, do some light web browsing, and light gaming on the phone throughout the day. When I plug back in around 11:00 pm, I'm usually between 30-40% battery with 2-3 hours of screen time.

Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanRom v5.1

Default Re: Potential Nexus 4 Buyer Question

Here's what I get with pretty darn heavy use (I'm rooted mind you)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

From my experience with my Nexus 4 the battery was decent. I'd normally get 2hr 30 mins of on screen time and that consist of web surfing, apps and music all over HSPA+. The battery will get you through the day but if your a heavy user just bring a USB charge cable with you or have an ac charger in your car.

Sent from my HTC One
    pontiac005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffDenver View Post
    You cannot upgrade the battery. In theory they could sell extended batteries for it, but this is unlikely to happen because (IMO) Nexus sales are not high enough to support it.

I use mine for web browsing, music, and reading books mostly. I can usually go a full 12 hour day from 100 to zero. I typically charge while at work, but not anywhere else...so my charge will last all night and through the next morning, usually with 20-40% to spare. I do not dim the display, but I do turn the phone off when I'm not using it. Battery life in not awful, but is not great. This battery withers under gaming too...so if you are a phone gamer, I'd recommend getting one with an extended battery. Also, the hotter it is, the faster it loses it's charge. If you live in a warm climate, battery life will be worse.

The battery is very good at holding a charge though. If I go to bed with 63% remaining, I will wake up with 63% remaining. When the display is off, it is using virtually no power.
    External battery for N4:
    Captainbob767 likes this.