The Nexus 4 and new ATT prepaid plans

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
quite honestly I don't feel anything I did on either phone required an LTE connection nor do I really think anything anybody does requires an LTE connection.

Same here. I get along just fine with HSPA. Even HSPA+ is overkill for email and most apps.

Joseph Osorio

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I originally wanted T-mobile to be my prepaid carrier specially that it has the first 5gb of unlimited data + text messagin and 100 minutes for only $30, (inscase my minutes do run out I used Bobsled). Att will be my 2nd atlernative and if I did ever go with Att I will definately unlock the 4g LTE that is on the. Plus Att has the 2nd best LTE coverage.

I think if unlocking your LTE on you Nexus will suite you since you have ATT, T-mobile coverage area suck atm with LTE. I live in Southern California, Los Angeles.

Att suck though with the Data plan only giving you 200mb or 500mb for the $35/40 plan.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I notice a lot of people complaining about lack of data service in home or buildings on T-Mo.

Wonder if this is a function of what equipment and how new on the Towers.

We were just at our seasonal condo in Naples and I had no trouble getting a mix of 3g and HSPA in our unit and only found a couple of big box stores (Walmart, Target Marshalls & such) where I couldn`t get at least 3g. I noticed this because I spent a lot of time surfing while the wife was being a shopaholic.

Being from Canada one thing I was amazed at was almost every store you went in you could hook up to their wifi. I love the price of the $30. Walmart plan but not sure I would use the data. I actually tethered it to my laptop and consumed about 2Gb while in the condo.

I was surprised as I had read that people didn`t think T-Mo would let people tether for any large data use.

Last edited:

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
hello, first post in the android forums here, I was also curious as to attend new 60$/m data no contract plan. I have T-Mobile currently but the service is just a bit too spotty in my area. I love having unlimited data but I can't use the damn data if. I have no service (or 2g cause it's awful). I just got my nexus 4 about a week and a half ago so I'm still new to it but I love the phone, not so much the service, thoughts?? thanks! :)

Posted via Android Central App

Unicorn Rancher

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
hello, first post in the android forums here, I was also curious as to attend new 60$/m data no contract plan. I have T-Mobile currently but the service is just a bit too spotty in my area. I love having unlimited data but I can't use the damn data if. I have no service (or 2g cause it's awful). I just got my nexus 4 about a week and a half ago so I'm still new to it but I love the phone, not so much the service, thoughts?? thanks! :)
I don't know where you're located but the best way to know what you will get on AT&T is to get a prepaid AT&T SIM and try for yourself for a month. No joke. A friend might get great (or horrible) speeds at their home and where they work, but unless we're roommates and coworkers that doesn't mean I will, even with the same phone and plan.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site

Works great for me... I use about 1-1.5GB of data a month, signal is good where I am and speeds vary between 3M and 10M. Never had any issue with any services swiching from Net10, where I constantly had speed issues and intermittent on/off data and could never get MMS messages (but could send them fine), but on Go Phone everything has always worked all the time.

I would suggest comparing your T-Mobile signal with someone who has AT&T service in the same areas as you need before switching though. If you switch and for whatever the reason the service is no better, then why spend the extra $30/month?

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the responses :) (sorry was on vacation) I'll look into it more and maybe test it out first as was said in the first response

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I would suggest comparing your T-Mobile signal with someone who has AT&T service in the same areas as you need before switching though. If you switch and for whatever the reason the service is no better, then why spend the extra $30/month?

It's worse than that - if you are on one of the T-Mobile super-cheap plans and you drop it (by porting your number over or by letting it expire), you won't be able to get it back; you would be limited to one of the more expensive plans if you decided to return to T-Mo.

ballzac

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It's worse than that - if you are on one of the T-Mobile super-cheap plans and you drop it (by porting your number over or by letting it expire), you won't be able to get it back; you would be limited to one of the more expensive plans if you decided to return to T-Mo.

good to know, thanks

frooglepoopillion

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to necro the thread but I just have to say I've been pretty impressed with ATT's GoPhone plan on my M7. I'm on the 2.5 GB/mo plan (might drop down to 1 GB/mo) and it is mostly solid. That said, sometimes GPS doesn't work right and the signal randomly degrades. I'm not sure if it's my phone or if the GoPhone signal isn't as good as the on contract signal (no evidence to support that theory). But speeds are as advertised and I'm likely not leaving them as long as I do prepaid. That may change if I move over to nicer phone to subsidize though.

CoMoNexus

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
I switched from TMO to Cricket, which is basically AT&T at a 50 percent discount. No complaints. Coverage is superb indoors and in the sticks, where it's typically HSPA rather than the EDGE or GPRS I got with TMO.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My girlfriend has the nexus 4 and I have the nexus 5 and my son has the moto x(2013), all on straight talk.. $49.26 per month per line.. no complaints..

Dan Brunner

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
We used to have Tmo and yes coverage was horrible in our home. We switched to Airvoice which is a ATT MVNO and have had no complaints. We use data pretty infrequently and don't stream video so I am not sure what sort of speeds we get but coverage has been great. 250minutes or texts is only $10/month. They also have unlimited plans.

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
I honestly don't see the complaints I've seen on here. I have excellent coverage all around Chicago including my apt. I actually have a full LTE signal in my room lol.
beeed46790fc550c4a57d2c930572395.jpg

Sent from my T-Mobile Nexus 4 LTE using Tapatalk