Cannot hold a HSPDA+ Signal?

jiovine

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I have a Nexus 4 on the AT&T GoPhone Plan and noticing my phone is not holding an HSPDA+ (15) signal for more than three seconds and will revert back to HSPDA 10. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I went to the AT&T store today to ensure that I was in fact on a 4G/LTE Data Plan. The rep ensured that I was but he also entered the IMEI off one of the Store LTE Phones onto my account, I have seen others mention this as well.

Also I have utilized the following APN: http://tysmith.me/post/36377623241/nexus4speeds

I tried making two copies of the APN. One with APA set to pta and the other on phone. I also changed APN Protocol and Roaming Protocol to IPv4

Also, what are real life throughput on AT&T HSPDA+? Currently receiving downloads of 3-5MB and upload of 1MB utilizing above setup. I was expecting to see downloads 9MB-12MB and 3MB uploads - but not sure if that is realistic.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Your device will not connect to LTE on AT&T's network. As for switching between networks, the radio's will basically attempt to dynamically choose whatever it feels is the most consistent signal will be. It's possible you're on the fringe border of a 4G and a 3G area. Does it do this in an area that has a strong HSPA+ signal?

jiovine

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Your device will not connect to LTE on AT&T's network. As for switching between networks, the radio's will basically attempt to dynamically choose whatever it feels is the most consistent signal will be. It's possible you're on the fringe border of a 4G and a 3G area. Does it do this in an area that has a strong HSPA+ signal?

I understand the N4 is not a LTE Device - no expectation or need for battery draining LTE.

Yes, it does this in very strong HSPA+ areas...I was watching the dBM and both were of equivalent strength. All 5 bars on phone as well. Happens if I am in Boston or other strong surrounding areas.

Using plain stock android and not rooted. I believe it is Radio version .48