Signal booster

deano131

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I can tell you one not to try. I tried this same thing with Tmo in my home and it was a total failure. I purchased one from Amazon sold by slim line. Model TE-4102CP23. Sent it back for a refund. The research I did I concluded these do work but you have to have a good signal at the receiving antenna And you need to spend $300 or more for a quality booster. Wilson Electronics seems to be the leader in this field for the common consumer. There are other professional grade ones but you are looking at $1000.

For me it was not worth it since I switch to a ATT prepaid.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Back in the day when i worked at a Nextel service center we used to install Wilson units for our commercial customers.
They have been around for a while and if i had to get a booster or BDA id go with Wilson Electronics as well.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Back in the day when i worked at a Nextel service center we used to install Wilson units for our commercial customers.
They have been around for a while and if i had to get a booster or BDA id go with Wilson Electronics as well.

Do you have any experience with Wilson Electronics' line of cradle boosters, like the Sleek? I'm guessing it won't be as powerful as their commercial units, but it should be good for the car. It also looks like the Sleek comes with a home accessory kit for indoor use.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately i dont have any experience with the cradle sleek units.
I did get to play with a Wilson amp years ago for nextel but the technology has improved and changed so much its hard to compare.

But overall wilson has been around for years and that to me says a lot.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Since I posted my post 2 weeks ago in this thread, I contacted T Mobile again and they told me Signal Boosters from them have been discontinued. When I explained that on their website it said they were available, the tech guy acted surprised, and said, well, you won't be able to get them anymore.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately i dont have any experience with the cradle sleek units.
I did get to play with a Wilson amp years ago for nextel but the technology has improved and changed so much its hard to compare.

But overall wilson has been around for years and that to me says a lot.

Yeah, I understand what you mean when you say technology changes so much. (Didn't they just shut down the iDEN network? Times have changed!) Anyway, I figured I ask just in case.

Back when you were installing the Wilson units, were your customers complaining about poor signal penetration inside of buildings? My understanding is that signal boosters just take the outside signal and bring it indoors. So you need at least adequate signal strength outdoors for the signal booster to work.

If you have little to no signal in your general area, I suppose you're better off installing a microcell (like this one) instead because it acts like your own personal cell tower. Does that sound about right?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
That's the gist of it.
We didn't install Wilson units. We used some higher grade commercial gear for the iDen network. If you have poor outdoor signal you can get a yagi antenna. Which is directional and adds gain outside. Then run antenna to the BDA unit. Then internal antenna.

Do a Google search for bidirectional amplifier and that's what we did on the commercial side.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

EDIT:
These are what we installed for customers. https://www.tessco.com/products/displayProducts.do?groupId=288&subgroupId=5756

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22