1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default T-Mobile no longer offering Signal Boosters

I just got off the phone with T-Mobile tech support. I had called them when I got my N4 and asked them if I qualified for a T Mobile Signal Booster which is advertised on their web page. The tech support person said that they were just told that the signal booster is not available and will not be available from now on. This is an entirely different story than what I was told 6 weeks ago. He said they had just been told this a few days ago. Then I told him about the web page advertising the signal booster, and at first he said that maybe that was not an official T Mobile site, but when I directed it to him by giving him the URL, he acted surprised. So basically he stated, that if you needed a signal booster for the phone to work at your location, you were out of luck with T-Mobile. I have been with T Mobile for about 15 years, and I told him , that I am going to seriously consider switching carriers now because of this issue.

Default Re: T-Mobile no longer offering Signal Boosters

Did the rep specify whether it was just this model or that TMO is forgoing signal boosters altogether? I have a tough time believing it's the latter because so many operators believe that femtocells are must-haves for LTE. That's why I'm wondering if they've just stopped selling this model because they're planning to offer new one(s).
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by CoMoNexus View Post
    Did the rep specify whether it was just this model or that TMO is forgoing signal boosters altogether? I have a tough time believing it's the latter because so many operators believe that femtocells are must-haves for LTE. That's why I'm wondering if they've just stopped selling this model because they're planning to offer new one(s).
    Mo more signal boosters of any kind will be available from now on.

They must be planning to go with femtocells instead -- finally. It's only been five years since they invested in Ubiquisys, a femto vendor.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

They must be planning to go with femtocells instead -- finally. It's only been five years since they invested in Ubiquisys, a femto vendor.
    I think they are going "cheap" and just don't want to provide the boosters.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    I think they are going "cheap" and just don't want to provide the boosters.
    Maybe, but many operators don't give away boosters or femtos. Instead, you either get the device for free, or free service when you're connected to it, but not both unless you're a high-value customer (e.g., spending $300/month across multiple lines). That's why I was surprised to see TMO charging only for shipping.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Maybe, but many operators don't give away boosters or femtos. Instead, you either get the device for free, or free service when you're connected to it, but not both unless you're a high-value customer (e.g., spending $300/month across multiple lines). That's why I was surprised to see TMO charging only for shipping.
    \

Well I have been with them for 15 years, but may leave them now if I decide that going up stairs in my condo to answer a call, is too much of a hassle.

You can always find them on eBay.
    WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    I have been with T Mobile for about 15 years, and I told him , that I am going to seriously consider switching carriers now because of this issue.
    That's strange that T-Mobile would do that to you, especially since you have been a loyal customer for all those years. While they probably wouldn't give a signal booster to a new customer, I would think they would make an exception for you since you've been with them for 15 years. Did something happen recently that caused you to have signal problems?

Also, have you considered getting 3rd-party signal boosters? I hear Wilson Electronics makes a good line of signal boosters, but I have no experience with them.