change device name ?

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
is it possible to change the device name of the nexus 4 ?
on a network scan, my nexus shows up as "android-2120ee3b45******" (have inserted * in place of some of the characters).\
i'd like to give it something more meaningful :)

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm not sure if this will do what you need it to, but in the Setting/bluetooth/menu, there is an option to "rename Phone"

nb

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
nope can't be that, for 2 reasons

1) i have bluetooth turned off
2) when i turned it on, then device name was "Nexus 4", and not the name that is broadcast via the wifi network.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
nope can't be that, for 2 reasons

1) i have bluetooth turned off
2) when i turned it on, then device name was "Nexus 4", and not the name that is broadcast via the wifi network.

not possible to change using stock version. Not sure if there is an app to modify it

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
That's a bit of a flaw!
If you have numerous devices on a network how are you supposed to pinpoint one in particular

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to quote another post of mine, which can be found here.

You'll need to enable Developer Options on the tablets, but after doing so, use the following setting.

Settings > Developer Options > Device hostname​

This will allow you to change, obviously, the hostname that the tablet uses. You'll want to reboot the tablet to ensure it refreshes properly on the network side. However, not every device may have this option. If you don't see it after enabling Developer Options, use the following method, though it will require root access. You should be able to unroot without having the hostname reset, but don't quote me on that. I'd give it a try with the first tablet to see whether or not it will work.

Install a terminal emulator on the tablet. Enter the following:

Code:
> su
> getprop net.hostname
> setprop net.hostname <new_hostname>

The 'getprop' command will return the current hostname, so you can double-check it before setting the new one. Again, reboot to refresh network assignments.

So, as far as I know, if the 'Device hostname' settings is not present, you'll have to be rooted in order to change it.

mutkey

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you already worked this out, but this is how it worked for me. I am using Android 4.1.2

- To edit the device name you will need to do it under WiFi settings,
- you will have to enable it first. Go to your device’s Settings panel and tap on the toggle slider to enable Wi-Fi
- Next, tap on the “Wi-Fi” text to see the configuration screen.,
- Tap on “Wi-Fi Direct” button on the bottom (for Samsung devices, I did it on a Sumsung Grand Duos), or launch options menu to see the “Wi-Fi Direct” option (for AOSP) and then tap on it.
- Now tap on the menu button/icon to see the “Rename Phone” or “Rename Device” option.
- Type in the preferred name in the text box and select OK to save it. Done!

Good luck

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if you already worked this out, but this is how it worked for me. I am using Android 4.1.2

- To edit the device name you will need to do it under WiFi settings,
- you will have to enable it first. Go to your device’s Settings panel and tap on the toggle slider to enable Wi-Fi
- Next, tap on the “Wi-Fi” text to see the configuration screen.,
- Tap on “Wi-Fi Direct” button on the bottom (for Samsung devices, I did it on a Sumsung Grand Duos), or launch options menu to see the “Wi-Fi Direct” option (for AOSP) and then tap on it.
- Now tap on the menu button/icon to see the “Rename Phone” or “Rename Device” option.
- Type in the preferred name in the text box and select OK to save it. Done!

Good luck

that made no difference whatsoever

Shyboy Cali

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I have a samsung vitality smart phone. Where can i view my name that shows up on the wifi signal? Like when you get on the wifi signal and see other peoples names on the wifi network. How do i find mine?

Victorrrr001

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Idk if its same for nexus but here u just go in settings then on bottom at About Device and just press at device name n it alows u to change...hope its that

Sent from my GT-P3113 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy