• 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By Citizen Coyote
  • 1 Post By Mellimel22
  • 1 Post By Darth Spock
  • 1 Post By nickgalaxys4
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Which phone should I get?

I'm inbetween the Nexus 4 and the HTC One.
    On TMobile, where I'd buy it for full, the Nexus 4 is $427, but comes with a free $60 wireless charger, and the HTC One is $579.
    So for an extra $152, or $92 including the charger at $60, do you guys think the HTC One is worth it?
    I may root the HTC One for stock Android (I love it) if I don't like Sense 5 too much... but the HTC One has a way better screen, processor, unique design (not to bash N4's design), and such.
    But N4 has most up to date Android (keep in mind, I may root HTC One for a stock Android ROM).

What do you guys think I should get?

If it helps I'd be getting the white N4, and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 right now.
    In other words, do you think it's worth the extra cost, for someone who has a part-time job (but who loves tech, and wants the best/coolest)?

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Which phone should I get?

Have you considered the Google Play edition HTC One?

​Obvious statement: Why, I am an assassin 'droid, Master.
    May the Force Be With You

Community Rules & Guidelines​
    (Formerly "NothingIsTrue")

nickgalaxys4 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    Yes, but that'd be $600 and then that'd make it an extra $172 or $112. So either way, is it still worth it?

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRecognition View Post
    Yes, but that'd be $600 and then that'd make it an extra $172 or $112. So either way, is it still worth it?
    Honestly the One GPe is only worth it if you absolutely want stock on a One and do not want to create it via root/flash etc. If you're going to do that, we're talking $600 versus $350 for the Nexus 4 (Play store pricing, if you want the Charger t-mobile is slightly cheaper) - for a straight stock device, in my opinion it's hard to justify the extra money. If you want the Sense features, Zoes, etc, then I think the gap is easier to close.

Citizen Coyote likes this.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Honestly the One GPe is only worth it if you absolutely want stock on a One and do not want to create it via root/flash etc. If you're going to do that, we're talking $600 versus $350 for the Nexus 4 (Play store pricing, if you want the Charger t-mobile is slightly cheaper) - for a straight stock device, in my opinion it's hard to justify the extra money. If you want the Sense features, Zoes, etc, then I think the gap is easier to close.
    If you plan on sticking with T-Mobile and you're in a major city, the fact that the One will support T-Mo's LTE is one thing to keep in mind (since the N4 lacks LTE). However, it might be a year or more before LTE comes to wherever you live, in which case the N4 is the better deal. Also consider that your resale value on the N4 will probably be higher than normal since you're picking up the limited white version (now sold out at Google Play).

Personally I'd just go with the N4, especially if you think you might want to play with custom ROMs. Much easier with the Nexus and fewer things to go wrong.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    If you plan on sticking with T-Mobile and you're in a major city, the fact that the One will support T-Mo's LTE is one thing to keep in mind (since the N4 lacks LTE). However, it might be a year or more before LTE comes to wherever you live, in which case the N4 is the better deal. Also consider that your resale value on the N4 will probably be higher than normal since you're picking up the limited white version (now sold out at Google Play).

Personally I'd just go with the N4, especially if you think you might want to play with custom ROMs. Much easier with the Nexus and fewer things to go wrong.
    The n4 doesn't lack lte. The current version radio doesn't. If u flash the old radio or cm10.1 u will have it.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectRecognition View Post
    I'm inbetween the Nexus 4 and the HTC One.
    On TMobile, where I'd buy it for full, the Nexus 4 is $427, but comes with a free $60 wireless charger, and the HTC One is $579.
    So for an extra $152, or $92 including the charger at $60, do you guys think the HTC One is worth it?
    I may root the HTC One for stock Android (I love it) if I don't like Sense 5 too much... but the HTC One has a way better screen, processor, unique design (not to bash N4's design), and such.
    But N4 has most up to date Android (keep in mind, I may root HTC One for a stock Android ROM).

What do you guys think I should get?

If it helps I'd be getting the white N4, and I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 right now.
    In other words, do you think it's worth the extra cost, for someone who has a part-time job (but who loves tech, and wants the best/coolest)?
    dude get the HTC One its totally worth it. if you want vanilla android install google edition OS on it. problem solved.
    Thanked by:

I would definetly get the HTC one. I've switched from a nexus 4 to a galaxy s4 and I love it. The screen, battery, camera, SD CARD, are all an added bonus better than the nexus 4. The same applies to the HTC one v nexus 4 your going to have way better screen and better battery life. Seeing as how your a fan of stock android you can just flash the Google edition ROMs that have just came out and have the same experience. With the better hardware

Sent from my SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    The n4 doesn't lack lte. The current version radio doesn't. If u flash the old radio or cm10.1 u will have it.
    For all intents and purposes it does lack LTE. Yes, you can cobble it in but it's completely unsupported (and not currently cleared by the FCC for that matter).

One other point: the GPe HTC One also lacks one of the HSPA+ bands supported by T-Mo so you're not going to see top speeds on the phone when not on LTE. That may not matter much in your area, however.
    TheLibertarian likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Coyote View Post
    For all intents and purposes it does lack LTE. Yes, you can cobble it in but it's completely unsupported (and not currently cleared by the FCC for that matter).

One other point: the GPe HTC One also lacks one of the HSPA+ bands supported by T-Mo so you're not going to see top speeds on the phone when not on LTE. That may not matter much in your area, however.
    Is rooting cleared by the fcc???? Exactly so who cares really lol.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Victory LTE using Tapatalk 2
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    5,715 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

If I were deciding right this second, I'd get the One.

donm527 likes this.

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Is rooting cleared by the fcc???? Exactly so who cares really lol.
    Rooting has nothing to do with the FCC. Turning on an unsupported radio does. Not like they're going to track you down if you do hack LTE back into the N4, but there's a reason the 4.2.2 update disabled the radio.

My original point was that if the OP cares about LTE, then the One is definitely worth considering. Otherwise, the price of the N4 makes it hard to pass up.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

My vote would be for the htc one. You can use sense 5 Roms as well as stock android Roms. I've tried about 5 in my three weeks with the phone. Also the HTC one camera is way better using sense 5. Its low light capabilities are amazing. Zoe features are pretty cool as well. Id love to dual boot sense 5 and stock android. Since I only paid 182 for my htc one out the door I almost want to buy another in black to use for ROM experiments or just have one on sense and one on stock android and switch SIM card every week or so. Yes its that great of a phone that I want two.

Also have the HTC logo working as menu and several other neat mods.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Price wise I'll go with the Nexus 4. HTC One is a better phone though.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Yes the nexus 4 is a great phone. Enjoy it

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

I like my Nexus 4 more than any device on the market right now. The specs night be better on the One but the Nexus is still really smooth. I don't see the difference between 720p and 1080p (I did compare these two phones at the store to see if I could see a difference). HSPA+ is plenty fast for me. As far as build quality, I love my Nexus and the way it's built. The glass back is sexy. I like the on screen buttons better than the capacitive buttons on the One. As far as the camera, I can't comment. I haven't taken a picture with the one, and I may be one of the very few that believes the camera on the Nexus 4 is really good. I have learned to use the camera settings and have been able to produce some really good photos.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I know this has nothing to do with it but I wish I would have waited for the Google play edition of the GS4
    iPad iPhone 4,4s,5,5s Nexus 7 (2013) Galaxy S4 Nexus 5 and so much more.....
    Darth Spock likes this.

My opinion is this

HTC One is the most beautiful and luxurious-look Android phone on the market.
    Nexus 4, is the best device in terms of money value and software. Nexus 4 will definitely be the first to receive OS updates.

Make up your mine by specifying your needs, if you need better software go for nexus, however, if you need better-looking device, go for HTC One.

Quote Originally Posted by markray View Post
    My opinion is this

HTC One is the most beautiful and luxurious-look Android phone on the market.
    Nexus 4, is the best device in terms of money value and software. Nexus 4 will definitely be the first to receive OS updates.

Make up your mine by specifying your needs, if you need better software go for nexus, however, if you need better-looking device, go for HTC One.
    I respectfully disagree. The Nexus 4 is the best looking device.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

I'd go with the One. More storage, better battery, and LTE for a plan without a contract sounds great.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

That's personal preference. I consider the HTC one to be the best built phone on the market.

The nexus 4 is nice as well but it just doesn't have that premium build quality feel.

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
    Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Global Posts
    902 Global Posts

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile to get the HTC One and I absolutely love it. Best hardware on the market.
    However, I always enjoy having two devices to go back and forth with, so I just ordered a 16gb N4 today.
    I'll give you my opinion between the two when I receive the N4 in a few days.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Yes I love the HTC one so much that because I only paid 182 on contract for mine I'm considering buying another at full price so I have one as a daily driver and one to experiment with ROMs. Or more likely one running android rev And the other the Google edition ROM. It really is an amazing phone. The speakers are fantastic and have spoiled me as has the display. Standing in direct sun it is clearly visible.

Not to mention the process to unlock the boot loader and install a vcustom recovery is super straight forward and nice if you are new to "rootin n romin".

Its worth consideration.

Mine has zero gaps nor does it have any other defects. Same goes for my cousins.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Yes it his personal preference however the HTC one is a very beautiful device. I love how its cool to the touch in the mornings.

Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
    Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod