Google maps

valpd

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
How would I get directions to avoid highways? I don't see this feature in Google maps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Put your finger on the route line and drag it off the highway... The directions will rewrite for the new route.

Most mapping/nav apps automatically assume highway is fastest and most desirable. You have to give some input to bypass that assumption.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Put your finger on the route line and drag it off the highway... The directions will rewrite for the new route.

Most mapping/nav apps automatically assume highway is fastest and most desirable. You have to give some input to bypass that assumption.

OK so that doesn't work... Sorry. I just tested it. I assumed it would have a way to do so that mimics Google Maps on the computer where you can shift the route lines around...

A less than optimal solution is to ask for the directions via bicycling mode. That never routes via highway for obvious reasons.

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I really wish you could plan routes on your pc and then send them to your phone...the maps app is quite deficient...

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I really wish you could plan routes on your pc and then send them to your phone...the maps app is quite deficient...

You can in a way.

If you use the web based maps, you can send the route to your phone via email. It looks like this will keep the format of the directions, but try it and see.

Use the link button (chain shaped) in the upper right corner of the directions pull out. It will give you an option to send to email, car or GPS.

Click the link after it gets to your email, and it lets you open it in Maps.

nb

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
You can in a way.

If you use the web based maps, you can send the route to your phone via email. It looks like this will keep the format of the directions, but try it and see.

Use the link button (chain shaped) in the upper right corner of the directions pull out. It will give you an option to send to email, car or GPS.

Click the link after it gets to your email, and it lets you open it in Maps.

nb

That makes sense...I'll give it a try next time.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I have another question related to maps:

I was in a park, and used maps to detect my location, and then I starred my location so that I can easily get back to the park. Maps assigned an address to it and that's great, but I couldn't find any way to edit the name of the starred location? If I see the address alone it doesn't tell me anything. Anyway to change the name to "insert name of park"?

Posted via Android Central App

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
How would I get directions to avoid highways? I don't see this feature in Google maps.

If you use Navigation instead of Maps you can set to Avoid Highways and Avoid Tolls.

Navigation > Settings > Route Options

I have another question related to maps:

I was in a park, and used maps to detect my location, and then I starred my location so that I can easily get back to the park. Maps assigned an address to it and that's great, but I couldn't find any way to edit the name of the starred location? If I see the address alone it doesn't tell me anything. Anyway to change the name to "insert name of park"?

Long Press on the location in My Places and select Edit from the popup menu.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
If you use Navigation instead of Maps you can set to Avoid Highways and Avoid Tolls.

Navigation > Settings > Route Options

Long Press on the location in My Places and select Edit from the popup menu.
I tried that at the time I starred it, but I only get 3 options:

Map, details, and delete.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Found another way.

After Google plots the directions, go to "Directions List" hit menu, then hit route options. There are options to avoid highways and tolls.

nb

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund