Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RumoredNow
  • 1 Post By Biggnaa20
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Google maps

How would I get directions to avoid highways? I don't see this feature in Google maps.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Default Re: Google maps

Put your finger on the route line and drag it off the highway... The directions will rewrite for the new route.

Most mapping/nav apps automatically assume highway is fastest and most desirable. You have to give some input to bypass that assumption.
    Nokia Lumia 925: T-Mo Branded Windows Phone 8 Amber
    LG Nexus 4: Ubuntu Touch Pre-release Ubuntu-System Beta
    Asus Nexus 7: Pure Google Jelly Bean 4.3
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus: Open webOS Alpha 2
    Thanked by:
    J T M 

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Put your finger on the route line and drag it off the highway... The directions will rewrite for the new route.

Most mapping/nav apps automatically assume highway is fastest and most desirable. You have to give some input to bypass that assumption.
    OK so that doesn't work... Sorry. I just tested it. I assumed it would have a way to do so that mimics Google Maps on the computer where you can shift the route lines around...

A less than optimal solution is to ask for the directions via bicycling mode. That never routes via highway for obvious reasons.

I really wish you could plan routes on your pc and then send them to your phone...the maps app is quite deficient...

ROM
    KK 4.4.2

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    I really wish you could plan routes on your pc and then send them to your phone...the maps app is quite deficient...
    Why this hasn't been a simple, easy-to-use feature of Android since 2.0 I don't know. It's baffling.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
    You can in a way.

If you use the web based maps, you can send the route to your phone via email. It looks like this will keep the format of the directions, but try it and see.

Use the link button (chain shaped) in the upper right corner of the directions pull out. It will give you an option to send to email, car or GPS.

Click the link after it gets to your email, and it lets you open it in Maps.

nb
    Dumbphones>Treo 650>Apache>Mogul>Raphael>Palm Pre>Samsung Epic 4g>Evo 4g>Epic 4g Touch>GSM Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy S3 + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Biggnaa20 View Post
    You can in a way.

If you use the web based maps, you can send the route to your phone via email. It looks like this will keep the format of the directions, but try it and see.

Use the link button (chain shaped) in the upper right corner of the directions pull out. It will give you an option to send to email, car or GPS.

Click the link after it gets to your email, and it lets you open it in Maps.

nb
    That makes sense...I'll give it a try next time.

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts

I have another question related to maps:

I was in a park, and used maps to detect my location, and then I starred my location so that I can easily get back to the park. Maps assigned an address to it and that's great, but I couldn't find any way to edit the name of the starred location? If I see the address alone it doesn't tell me anything. Anyway to change the name to "insert name of park"?

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post
    How would I get directions to avoid highways? I don't see this feature in Google maps.

If you use Navigation instead of Maps you can set to Avoid Highways and Avoid Tolls.

Navigation > Settings > Route Options

Quote Originally Posted by agp101 View Post
    I have another question related to maps:

I was in a park, and used maps to detect my location, and then I starred my location so that I can easily get back to the park. Maps assigned an address to it and that's great, but I couldn't find any way to edit the name of the starred location? If I see the address alone it doesn't tell me anything. Anyway to change the name to "insert name of park"?

Long Press on the location in My Places and select Edit from the popup menu.
    Thanked by:
    agp101 
    mr_nobody likes this.

Global Posts
    1,473 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    If you use Navigation instead of Maps you can set to Avoid Highways and Avoid Tolls.

Navigation > Settings > Route Options

Long Press on the location in My Places and select Edit from the popup menu.
    I tried that at the time I starred it, but I only get 3 options:

Map, details, and delete.

Quote Originally Posted by valpd View Post

Found another way.

After Google plots the directions, go to "Directions List" hit menu, then hit route options. There are options to avoid highways and tolls.

nb
    Dumbphones>Treo 650>Apache>Mogul>Raphael>Palm Pre>Samsung Epic 4g>Evo 4g>Epic 4g Touch>GSM Galaxy Nexus>Galaxy S3 + Nexus 4
    Thanked by:
    RumoredNow likes this.