Considering Buying the Nexus 4 when the 5 is so Close

Woodyhd

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
This will end up being my first smartphone. At first I was just trying to decide between the HTC One and the Galaxy S4. I had no idea that the Nexus 4 was priced so reasonably. I plan on setting up whatever I get on T-Mobile's $30 prepaid plan. I'm all about saving money, but I would also like to have the best. With more rumor out today about the nexus 5, its hard to not play the waiting game, but that could get me no where fast. I've been holding out till the new nexus 7 for months now. When the new nexus phone comes out I will likely be tempted to buy it. Can I still expect to be able to sell the nexus 4 I buy now at a reasonable price? Say ~$200? Make that what would be another $380 upgrade more like $200? That would ease my mind and help me decide.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
If the release cycle doesn't change, the N5 should be released in about 4 months. So not too long, but not exactly too short either.

Also, Nexus devices tens to have excellent resale values, as good as if not better than iPhones. You can probably get one off you for at least $250 in November.

Sent from my pure Google Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Woodyhd

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I knew the likely answer in my head, but I just needed to hear someone else say it. I've been going back and forth all day between different phones. I'm still having a bit of trouble spending this much money when it's not out of necessity. It's kind of nice to just have a crappy feature phone and not worry about having the latest. Once I have the phone in my hands, I'm sure I'll be glad I finally pulled the trigger.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
There's always something new around the corner. If you need a new device, get one. The only reason to wait is if you know an update is imminent (as many suspect with the Nexus 7). The next Nexus phone, if it follows historical patterns, won't be available until November, and even then availability could be limited for several months. If you want to upgrade your phone, do it now. The longer you wait, the more anxious you'll feel about "wasting" your cash instead of enjoying a nice, shiny new phone! :)

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 4 is my first smartphone. I'm still really happy with it and am not sure what would compel me to upgrade. I think you'd likely get good resale value on your Nexus 4, but you might also decide it isn't worth upgrading.

As far as value plans I decided to gamble with Solavei and their referral program - I'm glad I did, it's worked out for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Why wait for a device which no one knows anything about yet? I've just bought a Nexus 4 and I'm not bothered. Will I get the next Nexus phone, totally, but the residual value on the Nexus 4 is so good that I won't lose much money. So buy with confidence and enjoy I say!!!

kotbn18

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I also just ordered a nexus 4 just shipped today infact. Doesn't bother me one bit if the n5 is around the corner. Its a great phone now and is very future proof. As long as it still gets updates and doesn't lag ill be all set.

Sent from my underrated galaxy s blaze 4g

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I upgrade every 4 months so it doesn't bother me. I bought the S4 at launch and sold it yesterday for the 16GB nexus 4.

It's the first time I took a step back and hate that I ignored it because it's LG.

OP you will love it. Amazing phone especially since it's half the price.

SHIFT_nexus 4 tapatalk 2

devchaube15

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
You will love this phone, its future proof as stated earlier, its also a really good product in terms of resale value, I've sold my other Nexus 4 for $400 (16gb)
(saved the buyer $22.66 in shipping and tax, here in Canada it costs $422.66 for it) (bought in february ish when demand was still high and supply was low) its also an easy phone to root / the others like the s4 and s3 HTC one all require much attention to detail when rooting and you risk bricking your phone easily but with the nexus 4 its just download and flash anything and it just works. If you want the s4 or a one then buy the nexus and flash HTC sense or touchwiz Roms and you will have a much better experience for a much better price. Its the best of not both but all worlds! Trust us, you'll LOVE it. (When it comes to resale just make sure you state the added shipping and tax and waiting times and you'll get a quicker sale!)

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
The Nexus line is really great. I love my Nexus 4. I was just cleaning up my father's old Galaxy Nexus and I felt like I could still use that one if I had to.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm all about saving money, but I would also like to have the best.

You've come to the right place! The Nexus 4 is probably the best bang for the buck!

As for the timing of your purchase, I would suggest that you plan your own personal upgrade cycle. If you purchase a phone this summer, you can upgrade next summer. By then, you'll definitely know if there's a Nexus 5 available. Besides, whenever a new device goes on the market, there's always a spike in orders in the Play Store, and you might not get one because quantities are limited. Also, sometimes the first batch or two have problems that get addressed in later revisions. So maybe you don't always want to be first in line.

Another thing to think about is that your Nexus 4 won't be garbage the minute the Nexus 5 comes out. The Nexus 4 is guaranteed to get updates as long as Google supports it. So when a new version of Android comes out, your Nexus 4 will get it, and it'll feel like a new phone!

As for sales, I think another user (ledfrog) says that he uses eBay to sell his phones overseas. The Nexus 4 is not subsidized everywhere, so maybe you can get more money from someone who lives in a country where they have to pay full-price for the same phone. You could also keep your Nexus 4 as a backup phone or as a platform to test out different custom ROMs.

No matter what you decide, you are entering a whole new world with your first smartphone purchase. Hang on, the ride is about to get a lot more exciting! :D

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech