Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fernandezhjr
  • 1 Post By Captainbob767
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Router For Nexus 4?

Have been using a Linksys WRT54G Router for atleast 6 years now, which in technology time is ANCIENT. I got my nexus 4 a couple months ago and WiFi speeds have always been atrocious. I've searched every forum, site, blog, you name it possible. If i google any phrase containing the words "nexus 4" "poor" "wifi" every link within the first probably 10 pages is highlighted that I've clicked it. From what I've gathered the Nexus 4 just seems to work better on certain routers than others, no matter what settings you may do to your current router.

What i'm hoping to do is maybe get some of you fine folks here to maybe help compile a short list (confirm or deny) of routers that work better than others just from your experience.

Fios is not available where I'm at. We've had 5Mbps since day 1 and I'm okay with that. When Wifi is on my nexus 4 and browing chrome/twitter/etc the speed difference is hardly noticeable even compared to when I have my data turned on with anywhere from 5-8Mbps. Downloading from the Play Store is where the difference is. No matter what app, update, etc the speed is ridiculous. 8MB YouTube update = 6 Hours. I've waited a half hour to download a 1Mb UCCW Skin from the play store. Data On > same app downloads in seconds. Ran several speedtests with WIFI on and get about 2.5Mbps (normal) down WHICH IM OK WITH. I just wish my play store downloads would go that fast. Heck, even half that fast! (quick note, i dont have any problems staying constantly connected to wifi, almost always full bars unless i walk down to my basement, outside or whatever)

Have seen many, many threads on various sites about peoples Linksys WRT54G routers not playing nice with their Nexus 4. Seen a couple hit or miss threads with D-Link routers. I've tried countless settings "fixes" but to no avail. Have looked into custom firmware for the router but at that point I'd rather just swing up to Best Buy and get a new router. So if you guys could share which routers you are using at home and the speed, and/or product recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Best Router For Nexus 4?

I don't know about "best" but about a week ago I switched internet providers and went from an isp provided router to a Netgear N600 and it is working fine with all my devices including my n4.
    Thanked by:

I have 3 WRT54G routers around my place (configured in WDS mode) and they have always worked fine with my Nexus 4. Am using tomato firmware if it matters.
    Thanked by:

I also have two WRT54G's. The one I use with my Nexus 4 is completely stock (although the latest Cisco/Linksys firmware) and it gets an average of 20 Mbps download speed, 6 Mbps upload speed and 18 ms ping times using Speedtest, so I have no complaints. My other one has Tomato, but I never tested it with the Nexus 4. Now my data speeds using Straight Talk AT&T are another story, a measly average of 0.88 Mbps download, 0.20 upload and 110 ms ping time, testing at different locations and using various towers.
    Thanked by:

I'm have Comcast cable as my ISP with a Netgear N-300 router and speed tests are consistently 20mbps+ download & 5-6mbps upload. Best Router For Nexus 4?-uploadfromtaptalk1373671758647.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Thanked by:
    lucky87ad likes this.

Any decent current router should work fine. They are cheap today, and getting a current one is a good move.
    Thanked by:
    Fairclough likes this.

I second bob, any router which has a good review will work on the nexus 4 fine

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    Thanked by:

I recently purchased the Netgear 600 as well and it works great. With the dual band, if someone is using the laptop on one band, my phone will connect using the other band .

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Wow, awesome forums here! Just got home from work to see 7 replies Thanks everybody for your input. Suprised to see some other WRT54G routers floating around haha. I've considered tinkering with the tomato firmware for my router but at the end of the day I'd just rather upgrade anyway. Like you guys say, any current/newer router should do the trick. Looks like i'm going to go with a Netgear and see what happens. Thanks guys!