Weird Google Voice issue

adarack

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Big fan of google voice and the Nexus 4. My issue is that when I want to play a voicemail, there is a long lag in the time it takes to actually start playing from the time I hit the button to have a specific message play. The voicemail itself loads painfully slow. Data speeds, browsing, etc seem to be fairly quick, but the voicemails are always slow to load - sometimes they don't load at all, I just get the spinning circle. On average, I'd say I have to wait a minute or 2 and have to hit play a few times to get them to play. Anyone know of a way to have those messages stored locally? I'd rather not dump google voice, but at this rate not sure if I can deal with these delays.

Thanks in advance-
Adam

Ladeef

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I think it's just a buggy google app, mine does the same thing forever.

UPDATE: Uninstalled app and reinstalled and now working like it should!

adarack

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Do the other voicemail apps act similarly and/or is anyone else having this same GV problem or are the 2 of us the only ones having that issue?

Thanks

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Do the other voicemail apps act similarly and/or is anyone else having this same GV problem or are the 2 of us the only ones having that issue?

Thanks

Same thing happened to me as described in your first post. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it was kind of annoying after awhile so I stopped using it and just relied on having my GV voice mails transcribed and texted to me. I think there are two different ways to listen to your GV voicemails on the Nexus 4. One is through the GV app, and then there is some setting in the GV app that allows you to listen to GV voicemails from the phone's native call log -- in the GV settings > Voicemail display > "view and play voicemails from the phone call log." You might try checking that box to see if the delay problem goes away. I haven't tried other voicemail apps so I can't speak to that.

adarack

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Tried reinstalling and playing from the call log. Seems a bit better - will give it a few days and will post an update. Thanks for the advice!

adarack

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
UPDATE - jdbii's solution of having the voicemails show up in the call log and playing them from there seems to have worked pretty well. I'm playing the voicemails with much less or zero lag now. Thanks!