Nexus 4 or HTC One

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
As a person who's owned the Nexus 4 and switched to the HTC One, the HTC One has been significantly better in terms of battery life, but only relative to the Nexus 4.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd wait a little bit longer. Manufacturers (aside from Motorola, and to some extent Samsung with the Note 2) are finally taking notice that battery life and battery optimization are extremely important to have in a smartphone now. I see phones in the upcoming future having bigger/better optimized batteries.

You know I never understood that, they're like here is a brand new cellphone but you can only use it for 4 hours at a time. I've used android in the past and I couldn't tell you how many times my evo 3d died during the day just because I didn't have access to a portable gas generator to fit in my backpack. You would think they would be working on better battery technology for portable electronics rather then using old lithium technology, something that would last a full 24 hours with the screen turned on the whole time.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
You know I never understood that, they're like here is a brand new cellphone but you can only use it for 4 hours at a time. I've used android in the past and I couldn't tell you how many times my evo 3d died during the day just because I didn't have access to a portable gas generator to fit in my backpack. You would think they would be working on better battery technology for portable electronics rather then using old lithium technology, something that would last a full 24 hours with the screen turned on the whole time.

It's one of the reasons I respect Apple a lot. The software and hardware are perfectly optimized to work together. Of course, they have much lower specs, but everything seems to work fine, including the battery.

What I would assume is that the smartphone/spec wars are moving so fast that the battery is being left behind for many of these Android OS Manufacturers. Also, I don't think they spend enough time optimizing the battery either. 2000mah+ batteries alone is a lot of power.

That's why in some ways, I'm glad to see the Moto X overall has decent mid-range specs with a relatively large battery. As long as it runs smooth and the software and hardware run together well, I can see that being a great phone with a great amount of battery life.

You're right though. I can't wait to see the future battery technology in smartphones. I'm hoping it will come soon.

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Exactly! I mean the iphone can run so smoothly, more smoothly than my note 2 hands down. And the battery can last as much or just a little less thab my note 2's. I compared my battery life with my friends iphone 5 and they were pretty much on par. Only reason I dont want to go back to apple is because of the small screen, I didnt like IOS 7 it really questioned my manliness haha and also IOS gets boring very fast. Android in my book still has a little mire steps to go. Its needs more power efficent techniques. For example, in IOS Apple doesn't allow apps to run in background when screens off. I really hope Key Lime Pie revolves around saving battery rather than perform

Posted via Android Central App

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I currently own both and go back and forth between them. I honestly can't recommend one over the other... Both are great in their own ways.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Be aware if you haven't chosen yet, that HTC has apparently announced they'll be skipping 4.2 and going directly to 4.3 "early fall 2013". If you buy a carrier HTC One, that will likely mean you're going to be on 4.1.2 until 2014 or very near to it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Be aware if you haven't chosen yet, that HTC has apparently announced they'll be skipping 4.2 and going directly to 4.3 "early fall 2013". If you buy a carrier HTC One, that will likely mean you're going to be on 4.1.2 until 2014 or very near to it.

I agree that is not a danger with a Nexus, but as pointed out on the other thread, that's one carrier that has announced that so far and is likely not an HTC decision. 4.2.2 has already been released to some HTC One owners.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
thanks for the heads-up, the answer from that guy's carrier rep in another thread was misleading since they said "we've been informed by HTC"

bembol

Trusted Member
Jun 18, 2011
Visit site
I currently own both and go back and forth between them. I honestly can't recommend one over the other... >>> Both are great in their own ways. <<<

I used to own both but sold the One for Note 8 and loving it!

I agree it depends HOW YOU USE it. I got ripped after posting a comment on the new nexus 7, Touchwiz is not the greatest but on a 8" display Samsung's Pop-Up Video & Multiview is a must.

There's no denying, the Build & Quality of the One can't be beat but it will cost you so if budget is not an issue go for it. Sense 5 is an improvement and still needs work but the's the beauty of android, you can CHANGE & CUSTOMIZE it to your liking.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Exactly! I mean the iphone can run so smoothly, more smoothly than my note 2 hands down. And the battery can last as much or just a little less thab my note 2's. I compared my battery life with my friends iphone 5 and they were pretty much on par. Only reason I dont want to go back to apple is because of the small screen, I didnt like IOS 7 it really questioned my manliness haha and also IOS gets boring very fast. Android in my book still has a little mire steps to go. Its needs more power efficent techniques. For example, in IOS Apple doesn't allow apps to run in background when screens off. I really hope Key Lime Pie revolves around saving battery rather than perform

I was also looking at iphone 4s and 5. I was not just impressed with the battery life but with the recharge rate of it. The perfect android phone for me would be something like the htc one with the battery characteristics of the iphone.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to buy the iphone is because of the incredibly small screens. It has the same size screen as a 4 year old Optimus v I used to have and as my main source of internet in my house, the screen just doesn't cut it.

As for the manliness of it, I questioned that as well. I work in a hospital which is mainly all women and all of them have iphones. The guys I work with mostly have androids, lol.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
TheTitan1530, are you asking about the HTC One GPE or the regular HTC One?

The Nexus 4's battery life will depend on how you use it (like most other phones). I like my Nexus 4; I had an HTC One GPE but sent it back due to the lack of Google Wallet compatibility. Also since you don't plan to root, LTE connectivity is a differentiating factor between the two phones.

Edit: I forgot that you said that you don't have a data plan.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
TheTitan1530, are you asking about the HTC One GPE or the regular HTC One?

The Nexus 4's battery life will depend on how you use it (like most other phones). I like my Nexus 4; I had an HTC One GPE but sent it back due to the lack of Google Wallet compatibility. Also since you don't plan to root, LTE connectivity is a differentiating factor between the two phones.

Edit: I forgot that you said that you don't have a data plan.

The regular one. I read that the gpe one doesn't have the same camera functions like zoe and widgets as the standard one.

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I was also looking at iphone 4s and 5. I was not just impressed with the battery life but with the recharge rate of it. The perfect android phone for me would be something like the htc one with the battery characteristics of the iphone.

The only reason I couldn't bring myself to buy the iphone is because of the incredibly small screens. It has the same size screen as a 4 year old Optimus v I used to have and as my main source of internet in my house, the screen just doesn't cut it.

As for the manliness of it, I questioned that as well. I work in a hospital which is mainly all women and all of them have iphones. The guys I work with mostly have androids, lol.

This is why there is no perfect phone. Every phone has its ups and downs and characteristics that sepearte it from other phones. Like how galaxy s4 has removable battery, htc one has build quality and nexus 4 gets updates. If you personally are looking for a device I would recommend you get a note 3 because since you mentioned its your main way to connect to the internet. The note series is really the only phone that can replace a laptop for the most part.

marcher22

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, both are great phones but I think the HTC One is better if you can afford it. It has better reviews, a sharper screen, a better camera and lasts longer. Stock Android is VERY boring , and at least HTC puts some effort into it's software and really adds to the Android experience. Stock is"smoothest" because it practically has nothing.

I would like to add that nexus devices don't get upgrade support for ever. I had a Nexus S and Google stopped supporting it after 4.1.2 . The Galaxy nexus is NOT getting Android 4.3 and will remain on 4.22. In reality, nexus phones get supported for about 2 years. Probably, cynanogen mod (or other ROMs) will keep any flagship phone up to date for 2 years too. Case in point; I used a custom rom , to get my Google Nexus S to Android 4.2. I'm sure developers will support the HTC One for that long too if it's really popular.

Lastly, going from a note 2 to an n4 you'd experience a worse camera. Tbh, I don't know why you'd give up a note 2 for either of those phones at all though if battery life is your main concern.

Sent from my Note 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Stock android 4.3 + Nova Prime negates boring. I'll concede camera and display as long as you're actually using your phone as your only camera for major photography and not just casual stuff that you're just going to end up posting on Facebook. I'd prefer not waiting for upcoming android updates though after they've already been available for half a year.
Not to mention the nexus 5 will probably be here in 4 months, so even were I shopping right now, either choice would definitely be replaced by it anyway.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, both are great phones but I think the HTC One is better if you can afford it. It has better reviews, a sharper screen, a better camera and lasts longer. Stock Android is VERY boring , and at least HTC puts some effort into it's software and really adds to the Android experience. Stock is"smoothest" because it practically has nothing.

I would like to add that nexus devices don't get upgrade support for ever. I had a Nexus S and Google stopped supporting it after 4.1.2 . The Galaxy nexus is NOT getting Android 4.3 and will remain on 4.22. In reality, nexus phones get supported for about 2 years. Probably, cynanogen mod (or other ROMs) will keep any flagship phone up to date for 2 years too. Case in point; I used a custom rom , to get my Google Nexus S to Android 4.2. I'm sure developers will support the HTC One for that long too if it's really popular.

Lastly, going from a note 2 to an n4 you'd experience a worse camera. Tbh, I don't know why you'd give up a note 2 for either of those phones at all though if battery life is your main concern.

Sent from my Note 2

This links says that the Galaxy Nexus will get Android 4.3. I can see the support ending when it did for the Nexus S, as it is a single-core processor device and didn't do well with Ice Cream Sandwich for many users. I had a Nexus S and was glad to see the updates end with Jellybean.

Android 4.3 updates pushing today for current Nexus devices [Updated] | Android Central

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Sent from my Note 2

I want to switch because I just want something that I can use with one hand. Not being able to type with one hand bothers me many times especially at school when I have books in my other hand and then I text message. The big screen is nice but for my usage I don't see it being an essential feature, I could survive even with a 4.5 inch screen. Anyways, I really liked your points they were quiet helpful

marcher22

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
This links says that the Galaxy Nexus will get Android 4.3. I can see the support ending when it did for the Nexus S, as it is a single-core processor device and didn't do well with Ice Cream Sandwich for many users. I had a Nexus S and was glad to see the updates end with Jellybean.

Android 4.3 updates pushing today for current Nexus devices [Updated] | Android Central
Sorry, I misread information on another link. The gsm Galaxy nexus is getting Android 4.3
I want to switch because I just want something that I can use with one hand. Not being able to type with one hand bothers me many times especially at school when I have books in my other hand and then I text message. The big screen is nice but for my usage I don't see it being an essential feature, I could survive even with a 4.5 inch screen. Anyways, I really liked your points they were quiet helpful

That's understandable . Everyone has their preferences.
Sent from my Note 2

The_Adventist

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
How'd u like the z10? Any newer phone is good but u can't beat the n4 for the cost and hardware u get with it.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

3 months for me to reply....wow I'm fast. LOL.

I like the Z10 for the smoothness, organization, the hub, notifications and how fast communicating with it is. I got tired of trying to turn the Z10 into an Android device with sideloading everything.
I have switched back to the Z10 for the last 3 weeks because I missed the BBM. But since BBM is now live on Android, I will be switching devices and going back to the N4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox