Nexus 4 or HTC One

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to decide between these two phones. I want build quality and both deliver that for me. I'm skeptical about the nexus because I've heard a lot of negative things about it such as overheating while doing simple task and also the battery. I've heard many people say you'll get 2-2.5 hours of screen time of it which is extremely low considering I'm coming from a note 2. However I don't have a data plan (surprising huh) so I will be on WiFi at all times and my main usage is just simple web browsing. Also I will not be rooting my nexus so will I get bored of it very soon as compared to HTC? I'm nervous about the HTC because even though its in the spotlight right now, many people are saying HTC is bad at updating so it just seems to me that HTC one will be obsolete next year which is exactly what I don't want. I don't care about camera etc I only care about battery life tbh. Please help

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I can't seem to decide between these two phones. I want build quality and both deliver that for me. I'm skeptical about the nexus because I've heard a lot of negative things about it such as overheating while doing simple task and also the battery. I've heard many people say you'll get 2-2.5 hours of screen time of it which is extremely low considering I'm coming from a note 2. However I don't have a data plan (surprising huh) so I will be on WiFi at all times and my main usage is just simple web browsing. Also I will not be rooting my nexus so will I get bored of it very soon as compared to HTC? I'm nervous about the HTC because even though its in the spotlight right now, many people are saying HTC is bad at updating so it just seems to me that HTC one will be obsolete next year which is exactly what I don't want. I don't care about camera etc I only care about battery life tbh. Please help

HTC is being good about updates and fixes. There was an update a week or two after release. I have the one and messed with the n4. Both are nice. One has more memory and a better screen. Both imo have good battery life. The sizes are a lot different and the ui's are a lot different. I like the one better but both are good devices. I think the one has better battery life than the note 2.

About updates it depends on what the update offers. If it's a hardware feature probably neither phone will get them. N4 will probably get updates more often bit I can't see HTC letting the one not go without updates.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you are not planning on rooting, the Nexus will survive obsolescence for far longer, in terms of updates and the ease of getting new updated apps far sooner than other devices. The differences in hardware are not that different (One is better on the spec sheet, but both are quad core snapdragon processors, both are 2GB RAM, etc, etc). If you choose the Nexus the wireless charger sounds like it may be a good idea for you, but keeping the data radios off will help your battery life compared to "typical" user.

The One I would suggest if you are in love with Zoes and/or the screen on it. Otherwise there really isn't a compelling argument for the use case you're describing to choose it over the Nexus.

Billy Bob Jimmy Joe

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
If money is not a factor then choose the HTC One. The Nexus 4 is still the dollar for dollar best phone on the market.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
If money is not a factor then choose the HTC One. The Nexus 4 is still the dollar for dollar best phone on the market.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Pretty much what I was going to say. I've never had my Nexus overheat from "simple tasks," although it will get warm if I play a graphic-intensive game for more than a couple minutes. If you just plan on using it for web browsing and the like while on wifi, you shouldn't have much of a problem with the battery.

Alerio

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Having switched from the N4 to the One I would say go with the N4! The performance and feel of stock android is unbeatable. Im going to return the One and go back. Dont get me wrong the One is an amazing phone but I hate manufacture skins. And knowing 4.3 is around the corner the N4 is the way to go. Even though its lacking LTE it will end up receiving more updates than the One. Thats what sucks about these flagships, after the first year they are forgotten.

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm especially interested in your opinion. Which one lasted you longer on a single charge? I'm also thinking about going with nexus because down the road the nexus will be better. Take the galaxy nexus for example, its the only phone to come out in 2011 to be running 4.2.2

Posted via Android Central App

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
HTC is being good about updates and fixes. There was an update a week or two after release. I have the one and messed with the n4. Both are nice. One has more memory and a better screen. Both imo have good battery life. The sizes are a lot different and the ui's are a lot different. I like the one better but both are good devices. I think the one has better battery life than the note 2.

About updates it depends on what the update offers. If it's a hardware feature probably neither phone will get them. N4 will probably get updates more often bit I can't see HTC letting the one not go without updates.

from what ever phone I feel like using today

I am pretty sure that the note 2 has better battery life but I might be wrong.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Everyone's seamed to cover it.
For my nexus 4, I get about 11 hours on battery with 4.5 hrs of on actual on screen time. If I use the screen less the battery lasts a lot longer.

Posted via the mystical forest creatures that power this Nexus 4.

SiempreTuna

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm really, really happy with my Nexus 4. It works very well, the Google versions of standard apps are generally excellent (Play Music being the exception - a bit pants, but definitely not unusable and easily replaceable anyway), battery life is fine, the camera is as good as any I've had on a phone, the OS is fluid and responsive and I don't really have overheating issues. For the price, it is unbelievably good: a premium product for a mid-to-low-range price. You can't beat that if, like me, you're tight as a duck's derriere :D

If I wasn't as tight and /or money was no object, I'd probably go for the HTC One though. It's newer, has the second best camera on any phone (the new Nokia having the best - by a country mile). Every review I've read has loved it. And finally, its really, really cute. Even my missus - a die hard appleite - thought it was gorgeous.

The_Adventist

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I was battling this decision too. My choice was the S4, the HTC One and the N4.

Since I had already bought the Z10 just 2 months before outright and Canada sells the Nexus 4 for $300, I couldn't justify spending over twice the amount of a Nexus 4 on something else.

I am really happy with the Nexus 4.

TheyStoleMyName

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I was battling this decision too. My choice was the S4, the HTC One and the N4.

Since I had already bought the Z10 just 2 months before outright and Canada sells the Nexus 4 for $300, I couldn't justify spending over twice the amount of a Nexus 4 on something else.

I am really happy with the Nexus 4.

How'd u like the z10? Any newer phone is good but u can't beat the n4 for the cost and hardware u get with it.

from what ever phone I feel like using today.

AnneDroyd

May 24, 2013
Visit site
If you're willing to go this route I'd say the best option is to get the one and flash the Google edition rom from xda (assuming you can't get the Google edition HTC one). This way you get the best phone hardware and software.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

snookasnoo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you can I would wait and see what the Moto X looks like.

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you can I would wait and see what the Moto X looks like.

I saw the leaked video of the moto x and the moto x seems like a mid range device so I'm not really that interested in it or am not eagerly waiting for it but nonetheless it seems like a good phone

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
If you're willing to go this route I'd say the best option is to get the one and flash the Google edition rom from xda (assuming you can't get the Google edition HTC one). This way you get the best phone hardware and software.

That's the thing though I don't want to root the phone just yet, even if I got a nexus I'm not gonna root it until I get really bored with the phone or something or see a necessity such as like Franco kernel to get me more battery life

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
That's the thing though I don't want to root the phone just yet, even if I got a nexus I'm not gonna root it until I get really bored with the phone or something or see a necessity such as like Franco kernel to get me more battery life

You don't have the root the stock OS in order to install a custom ROM on the one. You just need an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery.

I'm working on a general guide that hopefully help some. Yes there are already tons of toolkits and guides already out but some still find them/complicated.

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I am also very curious about this because im trying to decide on those phones as well. Ive heard that the nexus 4 has bad battery life though, and users are reporting only getting about 2.5-4 hours screen on time. This is the most important factor for me. I could probably do with 4 hours but only a handful of people say they get that kind of screen on time.

taj7575

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I am also very curious about this because im trying to decide on those phones as well. Ive heard that the nexus 4 has bad battery life though, and users are reporting only getting about 2.5-4 hours screen on time. This is the most important factor for me. I could probably do with 4 hours but only a handful of people say they get that kind of screen on time.

As a person who's owned the Nexus 4 and switched to the HTC One, the HTC One has been significantly better in terms of battery life, but only relative to the Nexus 4.

Honestly, if I were you, I'd wait a little bit longer. Manufacturers (aside from Motorola, and to some extent Samsung with the Note 2) are finally taking notice that battery life and battery optimization are extremely important to have in a smartphone now. I see phones in the upcoming future having bigger/better optimized batteries.

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I bought the N4 in April and returned it for the one. I found that it did not perform as well as my one x. The one has been stellar so far.