TMobile & Nexus4 group MMS don't like each other :(
01-16-2014 11:25 AM
- I ported back to the TMo $30 prepaid plan last week after "suffering" with ST AT&T for the last several months.
I never did get group MMS working even on ST AT&T with the stock msg app, so I used Textra for the last 2 months and worked flawlessly. GO SMS also worked, but too "bloated" for my taste.
However, after switching to TMo last week, it looks like with ANY Android messaging app I try to use (stock, Textra, GO SMS, Handcent, ICMess), NONE have worked. Most of the time if I group text 2 people, the 1st person on my list sees it from me, but not the 2nd. I was getting that with all the 3rd party apps, but with GO SMS, it seems both people can see my text, however, in ANY scenario, I never once get a reply back. None, nada..
So, I've modified the APN like a million times and even did the 2 APN's, one for default/supl and the other as mms APN type. Still nothing.
I can send a single person a text and they can text me back with no issues. Just group..
Furthermore, this is either a Tmobile thing and/or Nexus 4. Because this worked flawlessly with ST AT&T, so I know all these 3rd party apps do work with group MMS on a Nexus 4. However, the other odd thing is 2 of my coworkers have Tmobile SG3's with the default TMo APN and their group MMS with GO SMS works perfectly too.
Please help!07-22-2013 12:19 PM
- Make sure this is not the problem you have.
Group SMS not threaded, unable to reply - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
However, when I do click on it's settings, I do have the 'Group Messaging' option checked. So, I'm still at a loss..
I loved Textra before and I have noticed that if I send to 2 people, I do get replies back, but on individual ones However, if one of my friends group messages me and 1 other person, I receive NO text at all from him. Nothing.....UGGGG....so frustrating when it used to work just a week ago so perfectly!!
Darn you Tmobile07-22-2013 01:15 PM
Again, I can send them fine with any msg app, even stock, but receiving, I get nothing back in return Complete failure.....07-22-2013 02:56 PM
- Well, I stopped at 2 different brick and mortar stores by me and I'm pretty convinced that it has something to do with this TMo $30 "Walmart" prepaid plan. I can only assume.
1st store, the chick gave me the standard "Oh, that's an Android thing. Group messaging never works right". To which I told her that it DID work on my phone last week on my ST AT&T plan on my ANDROID phone. LMFAO.. I just said thanks and left.
2nd store, the chick was more responsive to my issue and when she looked up my account, she was unfamiliar with the prepaid plan I had stating it's a the "web" or "Walmart" plan. She couldn't look up too much on my account since it was a prepaid plan vs. a postpaid. She said that there might be some "provision" on it. She said to call 611 and ask for tech support.
I did that and same drill, looked at APN settings, all were right, turn phone off/on, send a pic to myself... The standard drill. Then asked my friend to send me a pic and nothing. Nada.. She said everything on the line looks good and setup ok. No provisions or extra things "turned off" on my account. She then opened another Helpdesk ticket and I guess someone's going to call me within 72hrs.
But since my coworker with a Tmobile postpaid account/SG3 works fine and coupled that with MMS working the last 4 months on ST AT&T on my phone, I can only narrow it down to being "something" with this plan. My wife has the $60 2GB plan on her iPhone and has zero issues with MMS. I really don't want to switch to $60 plan just to get pics/group texts...but dayum, this stuff should work!!07-22-2013 08:32 PM
- 07-23-2013 10:18 AM
Sent from my Nexus 407-23-2013 10:23 AM
- While I don't have any useful advice that hasn't been mentioned, I have no issues with group texting on my N4 on Tmobile's $30 prepaid plan. Although I don't do it all that often (tend to use email) it's worked properly sending/receiving for many months now. I've heard of some people having group mms problems on Solavei, which uses Tmobile's towers, so perhaps someone from that camp will chime in. I just missed porting my lady over to Solavei's $50 plan (Tmobile auto pay hit) so next month I'll be making sure that works for her.07-23-2013 11:33 AM
- Thanks Con.. yea, didn't go the Solavei route, just good 'ol regular TMobile
Gone, yea I only have the default 'T-Mobile US' one that came on the phone. I've deleted the APN several times, setup 2 of them (one for MMS only, other everything else), deleted those again and set up the default one, etc etc. Rebooted phone after every change too...
I will say one thing the first day I walked out with the TMo service from the store was I had 2 APN's, 'T-Mobile US' and 'T-Mobile US 2'. I automatically just deleted the 'T-Mobile 2' one thinking I didn't need it. However, now I'm thinking that may have helped perhaps?! But even if I click 'Reset to default' on the APN page, that #2 APN never comes back automatically. I even removed my SIM and put it back in thinking it might come back automatically, but no dice... Don't know if it has any bearing on my MMS issue, but do remember that.07-23-2013 12:09 PM
- I've only ever had the one default epc.tmobile.com apn other than when I use LTE (which is now my daily driver since they've flipped the switch in the general NYC/PHILLY/DC area). Seems really weird for it only to be an issue with random devices. Def seems like a carrier issue of sorts.07-23-2013 02:31 PM
- I'm on a regular post paid Tmo plan and can confirm that group messaging is a hit of miss on my N4. Usually if I do have issues, it is from an iPhone user. I use LightFlow for my notifications and sometimes I'll get a chime for a SMS but nothing appears in the notification bar. Reboot of phone doesn't help. On the other hand my wife who is also on Tmobile receives group messages just fine on her outdated Lumia running Win 7.5.07-23-2013 05:03 PM
- Thanks guys... well, here's an interesting link that I found on Tmobile's site for APN settings for "non-TMobile" phones:
T-Mobile Internet & data settings: Non-T-Mo... | T-Mobile Support
Not quite sure to make of it since most of the APN settings in the doc do not pertain to a Nexus 4? Hmm....07-23-2013 06:37 PM
- I've only ever had the one default epc.tmobile.com apn other than when I use LTE (which is now my daily driver since they've flipped the switch in the general NYC/PHILLY/DC area). Seems really weird for it only to be an issue with random devices. Def seems like a carrier issue of sorts.
Does it happen on HSPA as well?07-23-2013 10:23 PM
- Well guys, I don't know what to tell ya... I searched everything on Google with keywords on this issue and I think the first 4-5 pages I've clicked on every link..LOL..
I stumbled across a link from Solavei TMobile and settings for just 'Android phones' and saw it had a couple more APN Type values than I ever tried. I'm not using Solavei TMobile, but figured what the heck. I don't have anything to lose at this point as I've must've added/deleted like 30 APN's so far!! haha...
So, I put them in, didn't re-boot. Then texted a coworker to send me a pic. BOOYA! His pic came through fine. I asked him to send another. Again, BOOM Pic came through fine. I then put together a group text with him and another coworker and told them both to reply to all. Again, BOOYA! Single group thread in return with all 3 of us.
I never really used the stock Android message app ever since I came across Textra about 3 months ago. Worked great when I was on ST AT&T but still it wouldn't work up until now after the port to T-Mobile. It defaults to the MMS size of 300mb, but there's an option for a couple higher ones and 'No Limit'. I also changed this setting to 'No Limit' after making the APN Type change above.
All I can say is one or both of the changes maybe did it?!?!? A pic of the additional APN types are below..
Thanks for all your help and info guys! Appreciate all yours time trying to help me out07-24-2013 09:33 PM
- Just popping in to share my fix.
tmobile 30$ prepaid
-won't send pics.
tried all the suggestions but what fixed it for me was , in textra, going to mms settigns and changing the size limit to 1mb (tried each one up to 2mb and 1mb was the highest that worked). so apparently my plans limit is 1mb.
hope it helps someone.01-16-2014 11:25 AM
- Google Hardware, Services & Apps
- More Google Devices & Services
- Google Nexus 4
TMobile & Nexus4 group MMS don't like each other :(
- By BRVNDXN in forum Samsung Galaxy S3Replies: 2Last Post: 10-23-2013, 05:15 AM
- By naha1 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 2Replies: 4Last Post: 09-06-2013, 05:49 AM
- By BookReader2 in forum Rumored Devices LoungeReplies: 1Last Post: 07-26-2013, 07:46 AM
- By Seth_Overbury in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 15Last Post: 07-24-2013, 03:23 PM
- By Jlomeli0528 in forum HTC One SReplies: 5Last Post: 07-23-2013, 02:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD