Overclocking question

blue_k

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I have a white Nexus 4 with CyanogenMod 10.1.2 and franco.Kernel Milestone 3 installed on it. I am looking into the possibility of OC my Nexus 4 to 1.7GHz, which appears to be the max Qualcomm says the Krait architecture can do. However, I've been reading that people have had instant bricks just by OC even a little, and it's a permanent hardware brick. I really can't afford to brick it, and especially since it's a white one, I can't just buy a new one from Google. Can anyone explain the risks as long as I don't overvolt?

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I have a white Nexus 4 with CyanogenMod 10.1.2 and franco.Kernel Milestone 3 installed on it. I am looking into the possibility of OC my Nexus 4 to 1.7GHz, which appears to be the max Qualcomm says the Krait architecture can do. However, I've been reading that people have had instant bricks just by OC even a little, and it's a permanent hardware brick. I really can't afford to brick it, and especially since it's a white one, I can't just buy a new one from Google. Can anyone explain the risks as long as I don't overvolt?

So what do you expect to achieve by overclocking it?

blue_k

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So what do you expect to achieve by overclocking it?

I expect faster app launch times, faster scrolling, a few more FPS in games, and faster multitasking. I just don't want to brick it. Is it possible to brick it even if there is no overvolt, and it doesn't overheat? Also, since heat is already an issue when it's running flat out, how much more could I expect at 1.7GHz?

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I would expect there is a reason OverClock is not available through franco.Kernel and take that as advice from an expert right there.

You say you can't afford to brick your phone. You also state there are reports of N4 being bricked due to OverClocking. That seems to sum it up nicely.

blue_k

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right, if I can't afford to brick it, then I shouldn't OC it. The 1.7GHz option is available however as an option in the franco.Kernel updater.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think you're right, if I can't afford to brick it, then I shouldn't OC it. The 1.7GHz option is available however as an option in the franco.Kernel updater.

Right you are! That must be new for M3... I'm sure I didn't see it in M1 or M2 and I really never thought I needed OverClock anyway... I'm not really a power gamer.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Umm OC doesn't brick the Nexus 4 and you won't see faster performance.

Posted via Android Central App

You may not see it as the N4 running Franco 1.5ghz is blistering fast, but it most certainly affects performance (esp OCD techy types). I'm talking real world, not benchmarking (which it will obviously bench higher OC'd).

OP I've been running every Franco nightly since the Gnex, have been OC'd at 1674MHz since OCing was available on Franco's N4 kernel AND undervolting a measly 50mv so that it's using ~the same voltage as stock 1512MHz (cpu binned only nominal...plenty UVing 150+ across the board with similar settings(use camera to see if it crashes)), and coupled with AOKP PUB my N4 would blow your mind. It's ridiculously fast, smooth, and very battery friendly (4-5hrs SOT). I've never once heard of someone bricking their N4 do to overclocking. Your device would hit the thermal threshold and throttle. Now that's not to say someone has never OC, completely REMOVED the thermal threshold altogether, and melted their device. That was either extremley foolish or done on purpose (for whatever reason). IMO never check set on boot if you undervolt. NEVER. You can always set CPU/GPU/Govenor setting to set on boot. This sort of thing belongs in the hacks section or XDA or you can count on getting a lot of comments from folks to haven't a single clue what they are talking about.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Worst I've done going too high is a reboot. There are some safe guards in place as ConTejes suggested.

I will add that moving up to 1728 on the Nexus 4 doesn't really seem to do much for me. The device is plenty fast and responsive at the default thresholds that Franco uses. I think any marginal speed gains are at the cost of battery life and for me not worth it. but we all like tweaking our phones so have at it!

The new Per-App Power Modes in Franco's app look interesting. They should from how i understand then work, allow you to make you OC settings apply on a per app basis. Not sure the real value there as a good govonor should let an app have what it needs but i suppose if you really wanna tweak down everything but a few select apps you could mitigate some of the battery drain of running hotter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699