Buy Nexus 4 or wait for Nexus 5?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If you need a device between now and November, the 4 ;) that's 4 months away though. Also, there has been nothing announced about the Nexus 5 yet, so it's hard to know how it compares.

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
If you need a device between now and November, the 4 ;) that's 4 months away though. Also, there has been nothing announced about the Nexus 5 yet, so it's hard to know how it compares.

Definitely. The one thing that im also wary about is if it will actually be a mini tablet and not a phone. Because if they actually do make it a 5 inch screen then its pointless to me because i already have a nexus 7 that has a bigger screen.

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Short answer no one knows. The nexus 4 will be outdated like all phones are. Its just whether your willing to wait for the new technology or not.

Posted via Android Central App

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
It's like the constant statement people have regarding purchasing a PC; "It's going to be outdated as soon as I buy it, so why buy a PC now?"

Do you need one now? What are your needs with it and how long before purchasing another will be in your budget?

bsmithphoto13

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
i was in the same boat and decided to just pull the trigger and get the Nexus 4. The specs on it are great and its proven to be a good phone. I tend to not buy the first batch of new technology, I like to let them tweak it and fix any issues before I buy.

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
i was in the same boat and decided to just pull the trigger and get the Nexus 4. The specs on it are great and its proven to be a good phone. I tend to not buy the first batch of new technology, I like to let them tweak it and fix any issues before I buy.

Smart move. Let other folks discover the inevitable kinks.

sibeans

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Why not both? The combined price alone should match, if not less than the price of a single flagship phone from other OEMs

Posted via Android Central App

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
What phone are you using now? Can to wait that long? If not, get the 4 now and enjoy it until the 5 comes. Sell the 4 and buy the 5.

Sent from my M7 using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Without knowing what is coming with the Nexus 5, it's hard to say. However, if someone had asked this same question a year ago, I would have no problem recommending the Galaxy Nexus. I think that the Galaxy Nexus is still a good phone today, especially for my needs. I think that the Nexus 4 is good for at least another year, as far as hardware is concerned. The software will be updated, so this is a non-issue.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Definitely. The one thing that im also wary about is if it will actually be a mini tablet and not a phone. Because if they actually do make it a 5 inch screen then its pointless to me because i already have a nexus 7 that has a bigger screen.

All rumors point to the LG G2 being the base for the N5. We know the G2 will have a 5.2" screen (ntm certified as the best screen tech in existance). Assuming LG is able to pull off stuffing said 5.2" screen into roughly the same form factor as the N4 it will be killer (al la GS4 actually smaller than GS3 w/ 5" screen). I would say that makes your N7 "pointless". That is why I'll be passing on the otherwise super impressive N7 2 and getting the refreshed N10

As for your question, if you have a working device I'd wait it out. You can't really lose getting the N4, though. The N4 is, I'm my custom everything/dev loving opinion, the best device available. That title will surely be replaced by the N5 as my Gnex was by the N4 (and so on...). The N4 is sold so cheaply you will recoup most of your money selling it (even) once the N5 is announced/released.

KJDUNPHY

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
With pricing so cheap you could basically get a Nexus 4.. sell it for 200 and then in a couple months the phone is only gonna be 100 bucks! Cant really go wrong getting the Nexus 4 now!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
With pricing so cheap you could basically get a Nexus 4.. sell it for 200 and then in a couple months the phone is only gonna be 100 bucks! Cant really go wrong getting the Nexus 4 now!

You're kidding. Go to ebay and search used Nexus 4. They're going for $300+. Why, you can get it new from Google for $300/$350??!! It's because you can't find a used device remotely close to the specs of the N4 for what Google sells these for brand new, Google Play isn't available to a lot of people, and a lot of people are idiots. I considered keeping my gnex as some sort of collection. After months of it sitting in a drawer I decided that was silly and put it on Ebay recently. It sold for about $230 (w/ some accessories)....

KJDUNPHY

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
You're kidding. Go to ebay and search used Nexus 4. They're going for $300+. Why, you can get it new from Google for $300/$350??!! It's because you can't find a used device remotely close to the specs of the N4 for what Google sells these for brand new, Google Play isn't available to a lot of people, and a lot of people are idiots. I considered keeping my gnex as some sort of collection. After months of it sitting in a drawer I decided that was silly and put it on Ebay recently. It sold for about $230 (w/ some accessories)....
In Canada, theyre going for $299 brand new for the 16GB version at some phone retailers... No one around here is gonna pay $350 to get it shipped from the Google site when they can get it brand new at $300 in the store the same day.. If you use Kijiji here i'm assuming that with wear and tear for a few months you could sell it quick enough at 200.. Doubt someone wants to save 50 bucks to buy a used device on Kijiji then spend the extra 50 and get it brand new from the store

Robublind

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
It looks like the going used price for a 16g nexus 4 is between $160 and $200. I would buy one used and sell it in a couple months..when the N5 comes out.

bombdrop

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I just picked up a nexus 4 about a month ago which is a HUGE upgrade from my evo 3d. I will see what the nexus 5 has to offer but I am extremely happy with the 4. And like some other people have said I will still be able to get some good money for it if I do want to upgrade. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs