Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Buy Nexus 4 or wait for Nexus 5?

What are your opinions on this? Would you wait for a Nexus 5 or just order the 4 right now?

Global Posts
    7,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: Buy Nexus 4 or wait for Nexus 5?

If you need a device between now and November, the 4 that's 4 months away though. Also, there has been nothing announced about the Nexus 5 yet, so it's hard to know how it compares.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by NothingIsTrue View Post
    If you need a device between now and November, the 4 that's 4 months away though. Also, there has been nothing announced about the Nexus 5 yet, so it's hard to know how it compares.
    Definitely. The one thing that im also wary about is if it will actually be a mini tablet and not a phone. Because if they actually do make it a 5 inch screen then its pointless to me because i already have a nexus 7 that has a bigger screen.

Short answer no one knows. The nexus 4 will be outdated like all phones are. Its just whether your willing to wait for the new technology or not.

Posted via Android Central App
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune
    Biggnaa20 likes this.

It's like the constant statement people have regarding purchasing a PC; "It's going to be outdated as soon as I buy it, so why buy a PC now?"

Do you need one now? What are your needs with it and how long before purchasing another will be in your budget?
    ~~~SANDSTONE BLACK 64GB ONEPLUS ONE~~~
    ~~~WHITE 32GB NEXUS 5~~~

i was in the same boat and decided to just pull the trigger and get the Nexus 4. The specs on it are great and its proven to be a good phone. I tend to not buy the first batch of new technology, I like to let them tweak it and fix any issues before I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by bsmithphoto13 View Post
    i was in the same boat and decided to just pull the trigger and get the Nexus 4. The specs on it are great and its proven to be a good phone. I tend to not buy the first batch of new technology, I like to let them tweak it and fix any issues before I buy.
    Smart move. Let other folks discover the inevitable kinks.

Wait for the Nexus 6.

Global Posts
    508 Global Posts

Why not both? The combined price alone should match, if not less than the price of a single flagship phone from other OEMs

Quote Originally Posted by Unicorn Rancher View Post
    Wait for the Nexus 6.
    I have heard some incredible things!

Nexus 6 with Android 9.7.2 Frozen Waffles FTW.

What phone are you using now? Can to wait that long? If not, get the 4 now and enjoy it until the 5 comes. Sell the 4 and buy the 5.

Sent from my M7 using AC Forums mobile app

Without knowing what is coming with the Nexus 5, it's hard to say. However, if someone had asked this same question a year ago, I would have no problem recommending the Galaxy Nexus. I think that the Galaxy Nexus is still a good phone today, especially for my needs. I think that the Nexus 4 is good for at least another year, as far as hardware is concerned. The software will be updated, so this is a non-issue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLibertarian View Post
    I have heard some incredible things!

Nexus 6 with Android 9.7.2 Frozen Waffles FTW.
    As long as they're not blue.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Definitely. The one thing that im also wary about is if it will actually be a mini tablet and not a phone. Because if they actually do make it a 5 inch screen then its pointless to me because i already have a nexus 7 that has a bigger screen.
    All rumors point to the LG G2 being the base for the N5. We know the G2 will have a 5.2" screen (ntm certified as the best screen tech in existance). Assuming LG is able to pull off stuffing said 5.2" screen into roughly the same form factor as the N4 it will be killer (al la GS4 actually smaller than GS3 w/ 5" screen). I would say that makes your N7 "pointless". That is why I'll be passing on the otherwise super impressive N7 2 and getting the refreshed N10

As for your question, if you have a working device I'd wait it out. You can't really lose getting the N4, though. The N4 is, I'm my custom everything/dev loving opinion, the best device available. That title will surely be replaced by the N5 as my Gnex was by the N4 (and so on...). The N4 is sold so cheaply you will recoup most of your money selling it (even) once the N5 is announced/released.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

With pricing so cheap you could basically get a Nexus 4.. sell it for 200 and then in a couple months the phone is only gonna be 100 bucks! Cant really go wrong getting the Nexus 4 now!

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Quote Originally Posted by KJDUNPHY View Post
    With pricing so cheap you could basically get a Nexus 4.. sell it for 200 and then in a couple months the phone is only gonna be 100 bucks! Cant really go wrong getting the Nexus 4 now!
    You're kidding. Go to ebay and search used Nexus 4. They're going for $300+. Why, you can get it new from Google for $300/$350??!! It's because you can't find a used device remotely close to the specs of the N4 for what Google sells these for brand new, Google Play isn't available to a lot of people, and a lot of people are idiots. I considered keeping my gnex as some sort of collection. After months of it sitting in a drawer I decided that was silly and put it on Ebay recently. It sold for about $230 (w/ some accessories)....

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    You're kidding. Go to ebay and search used Nexus 4. They're going for $300+. Why, you can get it new from Google for $300/$350??!! It's because you can't find a used device remotely close to the specs of the N4 for what Google sells these for brand new, Google Play isn't available to a lot of people, and a lot of people are idiots. I considered keeping my gnex as some sort of collection. After months of it sitting in a drawer I decided that was silly and put it on Ebay recently. It sold for about $230 (w/ some accessories)....
    In Canada, theyre going for $299 brand new for the 16GB version at some phone retailers... No one around here is gonna pay $350 to get it shipped from the Google site when they can get it brand new at $300 in the store the same day.. If you use Kijiji here i'm assuming that with wear and tear for a few months you could sell it quick enough at 200.. Doubt someone wants to save 50 bucks to buy a used device on Kijiji then spend the extra 50 and get it brand new from the store

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

I mean sure they could do other things but the way I said is the fastest and most convenient for most people

It looks like the going used price for a 16g nexus 4 is between $160 and $200. I would buy one used and sell it in a couple months..when the N5 comes out.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

I just picked up a nexus 4 about a month ago which is a HUGE upgrade from my evo 3d. I will see what the nexus 5 has to offer but I am extremely happy with the 4. And like some other people have said I will still be able to get some good money for it if I do want to upgrade.
    pontiac005 likes this.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by bombdrop View Post
    I just picked up a nexus 4 about a month ago which is a HUGE upgrade from my evo 3d. I will see what the nexus 5 has to offer but I am extremely happy with the 4. And like some other people have said I will still be able to get some good money for it if I do want to upgrade.
    I just sold my evo 3d as well. Nice phone but battery life was laughable I got 2 hours of constant use on the best day. I loved the 3d camera though.

Global Posts
    51 Global Posts

My battery was about the same. I had to be by a charger at all times. Between the battery life and my crap Sprint signal I just got fed up and threw mine against the wall and smashed it. Wished I would have just sold it, but I'm very happy with my new Nexus 4.
    Nexus 4 - Nexus 7 - Chromebook

I'm waiting for the nexus 5 and it will be my first phone, phone, not smartphone, meaning I never had and currently don't have a phone, I'm gonna beg my parents to pay the monthly bill, but I said I will pay for the price of the phone, I'm just worried it won't be cheap like the nexus 4.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by androidfan1x View Post
    I'm waiting for the nexus 5 and it will be my first phone, phone, not smartphone, meaning I never had and currently don't have a phone, I'm gonna beg my parents to pay the monthly bill, but I said I will pay for the price of the phone, I'm just worried it won't be cheap like the nexus 4.
    Yeah I don't think it will be as cheap as the 4 either. Especially with the rumored 5 inch screen, it will probably be about 4-5 hundred.

Day one nexus⁴ buyer here. What kinks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast