Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Default Re: HOW TO : UPDATE to 4.3 from STOCK 4.2.2 ( STOCK recovery, Locked/Unlocked Bootloader)

Quote Originally Posted by Deeco View Post
    "Warning: No file_contextsVerifying current system...
    assert failed: apply_patch_check(" /system/app/SystemUI.apk". blah blah...."

I modified the 'SystemUI.apk' but I replaced it back to the original thinking the error will go. Anyone can help?
    Seems you did not replace it with the original. If you did you would not be seeing that error.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Default Re: HOW TO : UPDATE to 4.3 from STOCK 4.2.2 ( STOCK recovery, Locked/Unlocked Bootloader)

Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Seems you did not replace it with the original. If you did you would not be seeing that error.
    I had replaced it with the original that was backed up. It was a battery mod that was implemented in the SystemUI, I rebooted it and the battery when to default stock style, still getting this warning.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

I had replaced it with the original that was backed up. It was a battery mod that was implemented in the SystemUI, I rebooted it and the battery when to default stock style, still getting this warning.
    You sure you are running stock and not a deodexed AOSP ROM? I'm not sure you could even apply an altered systemUI apk with deodexing at least that package.. this could be part of what the update check is confirming.

Do you have a stock backup (nandroid) from before you hacked at the device?

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Yes, I'm running pure stock no modifications apart from 'root, unlocked bootloader and systemui.apk (which i reverted to original), I am using stock recovery too.
    However after that warning message above, there seems to be a 2 different md5 hashes displayed...could this be a mismatch? What do you suggest? Thanks.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Yes, I'm running pure stock no modifications apart from 'root, unlocked bootloader and systemui.apk (which i reverted to original), I am using stock recovery too.
    However after that warning message above, there seems to be a 2 different md5 hashes displayed...could this be a mismatch? What do you suggest? Thanks.
    I suggest restoring a backup you hopefully have from before you rooted, or at least from before you altered the system. The OTA is not recognizing your system as fully stock right now and I can't speculate about what you'd have to do piece-meal wise to restore it.

If you don't have a backup your only real option is to flash the factory images in fastboot. Guide in the rooting section will walk you through that.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I suggest restoring a backup you hopefully have from before you rooted, or at least from before you altered the system. The OTA is not recognizing your system as fully stock right now and I can't speculate about what you'd have to do piece-meal wise to restore it.

If you don't have a backup your only real option is to flash the factory images in fastboot. Guide in the rooting section will walk you through that.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a nand backup...by restoring factory images via fastboot will it delete any of my data?

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

Unfortunately, I don't have a nand backup...by restoring factory images via fastboot will it delete any of my data?
    Yes the factory image restore will fully wipe the device.

What you can do first, since you are rooted anyway, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data, move the backup directory to your computer, then after the factory image restore you can move it back to the phone and restore your apps and data after install TiBu again. Check the TiBu guide linked in my signature as I give a few good tips on using it correctly.

Obviously you can backup all your photos and stuff too before you do the procedure.

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Yes the factory image restore will fully wipe the device.

What you can do first, since you are rooted anyway, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps and data, move the backup directory to your computer, then after the factory image restore you can move it back to the phone and restore your apps and data after install TiBu again. Check the TiBu guide linked in my signature as I give a few good tips on using it correctly.

Obviously you can backup all your photos and stuff too before you do the procedure.
    I was hoping to avoid doing this. Could I just extract the 'SystemUI' from stock rom and push it via adb?

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP

I was hoping to avoid doing this. Could I just extract the 'SystemUI' from stock rom and push it via adb?

Thanks for your help btw, much appreciated.
    You could try, you indicated you already tried restoring the old apk and it didn't work so I wasn't going to suggest that. Can't really hurt at this point to give it a shot tho.

Thanks Caine, this is where I got stuck. Now enjoying 4.3!
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine Chow View Post
    If you can't get the Recovery Mode menu... When you are in the Recovery Mode with "No Command" in the middle with the open Android, just press and hold the power button and press the up volume button. ( Google Nexus 4 Recovery Mode )

Quote Originally Posted by geckx7@gmail.com View Post
    You have to unroot.
    I did full unroot, wiped all data and device found the update and tryied to install.
    Stacked on the same problem.
    I believe i have to flash stock firmware from google

Finally figured this out- you have to rename the file to "update" [without quotations] instead of update.zip

Quote Originally Posted by crookedlaketri View Post
    After entering "adb sideload update.zip" in command I get * cannot read 'sideload' *

Any ideas?
    Finally figured this out- you have to rename the file to "update" [without quotations] instead of update.zip

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

You could try, you indicated you already tried restoring the old apk and it didn't work so I wasn't going to suggest that. Can't really hurt at this point to give it a shot tho.
    Pushed from system.img and updating to 4.3 was successful, however now I am stuck in the Nexus Boot screen.

Thank you very much guys, I managed to upgrade to 4.3 after using #codemonkey85 instruction and used the "Power + Up (once)" so I will be able to apply the command. Then it installed the driver automatically on my Windows 7 64bit PC. It took about 5 minutes after I spent several hours to find a solution on Thursday night.
    On Thursday I found this solution too, but didn't see #codemonkey85's suggestion.

THANKS

error device not found when the command adb sideload update.zip is put in. any solutions?

says in command prompt ...cannot read 'sideload'

Thanks for the tutorial! The OTA has been taking its sweet time here in Canada, glad I could update like this instead.

Here is something sort of odd. I downloaded the update and installed it through ROM manager. It went through the process with no issues. Reboots, it updates all the OS files, no issues. Everything seems great. Go to about phone, still says 4.2.2. Strange! I know I didn't follow directions but I didn't have a PC in front of me to use ABD. The phone seems awesome though. My radios seem better too. I might just wait for the update to roll to me. Anyone else experience this?

Thanks for tutorial ... messed abit as was making this the first time, but i did it
    There's a little trick for newbies like me with all this button pushing and holding, and one needs to have android usb drivers installed ... So to get into fast boot you must hold vol- and power buttons pushed until you get to menu not to release them after Google shows (in that case you'll get normal boot). Then choose 'recovery' and if you get a dead droid with rad triangel, push power and in a sec vol+, and you'll get new menu for update. After that command promt, but remenber, that it's case sensitive, so if you renamed your file as Update.zip, so enter 'adb sideload Update.zip'.

Two helpful tips that helped me during this part of the installation.

1) When renaming the file to update, make sure the file you renamed on your PC remains as a .zip file (file should have the .zip icon).

and

2) Make sure the update.zip file is in your mini-sdk folder (by default, C:\mini-sdk).

Quote Originally Posted by Angad Dev Roy View Post
    error device not found when the command adb sideload update.zip is put in. any solutions?

OR - you could just do it the easy way: http://www.gthisgthat.com/android-4-...-yet-try-this/

Guys i follow these steps exactly...but i get an error that says - * ' Cannot read sideload *

I have renamed the file update.zip and have it in the same directory as the SDK files - Nexus 4 driver installed - ADB sideload correctly identifies my nexus 4

Win 7 64 bit

Any ideas?

Sorry that should say - ADB Devices - correctly identifies my phone

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

Anyone can help me? Stuck on 'X' boot screen!!!
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast