HOW TO : UPDATE to 4.3 from STOCK 4.2.2 ( STOCK recovery, Locked/Unlocked Bootloader)

Kehinde Aderemi

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
ok i've tried it all i get when I type the "adb sideload update.zip" i get a response

C:\mini-sdk>adb sideload zangaz.zip
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\mini-sdk>

MichalKub

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I've been trying to update to 4.3 with no luck.
everything works great until step #8, once i type in the command i get a response that the device cannot be found. I've tried updating the drivers in the device manager but doesn't help.
I stumbled upon a post somewhere and it said that when the phone is in normal state the PC recognizes it but while in recovery it doesn't.
Can anyone help me out with this? Greatly appreciate it.

sacy007

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
at step 8 : i am getting error in command prompt

C:\mini-sdk>adb sideload update.zip
error: device not found

can any one help me on this?

Last edited:

jck6771

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
This is not a very good article for 'newbies' and should not be on the front page and promoted by the editor. In his piece he states that that 'not everyone's a whiz when it comes to the command line when it comes to android' This is very true, I have always shied away from this sort of thing for fear of bricking my phone but thought I'd give this a go as it looked pretty straight forward.

The fact of the matter is that the article is not for newbies and expects you to know a lot more than a newbie would. Also, most of the replies aren't very helpful, posting 'great, that worked for me' does not help anyone, please point to or quote which part helped you.

A re-written and corrected article telling you when the phone should or shouldn't be plugged into your pc, de-bugging on/off, which drivers should be installed, potential errors you may get and what to do if you do get them would be great.

Like most people i'm getting:

'cannot read sideload'
'device not connected'

Just because we're 'newbies' we're not idiots, just lacking in confidence or nervous of damaging our phones.

Thankyou :) (I guess I'll get a torrent of abuse now)

Vineeth Nair

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I found out (like someone had suggested previously) that re-installing Facebook app fixes the issue. Also, during the process the Play store kept giving me download errors. Removing the google account and signing back in solved the issue.

Thanks for all the support! I am now on 4.3 :) I like the camera very much. However, Facebook has stopped pushing :(. Any help on this is appreciated.

Jaybuz

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello guys, I've a little issue regarding recovery mode that I need some help with.

I've set up all the SDK fine and adb even sees my device but whenever I boot into recovery on my complete stock Nexus 4 I get "no command":

nexus-4-recovery-mode-no-command.jpg

This is supposed to work with locked bootloaders, right?

geckx7@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Can't get step 5 to work.
5. Type in the command : cd C:\mini-sdk

FIXED

Now im getting error message cannot read sideload on step 8
8. Back on your PC type in the command : adb sideload update.zip:-!

Last edited:

tsialis

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my nexus 4 and then deleted GooglePinyinIME from "/system/app"
Unfortunately this will not let me update my device. It stops in the middle of progress while checking for the software package
Any sugestions?
Can someone send me this file?

DazL

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I can't even get into Fastboot mode. Every time I try (by shutting phone down, then powering on by holding down Vol Down/Power simultaneously) it just boots normally.

Any suggestions?

Never mind - it's sorted now. And update went smoothly once I installed the correct driver :D

Last edited: