HOW TO : UPDATE to 4.3 from STOCK 4.2.2 ( STOCK recovery, Locked/Unlocked Bootloader)

Phalgun Gujjar

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
This is the procedure I followed to Update to Stock 4.3.

Requirements:

1. 4.3 update file : Click here - JWR66V from JDQ39

2. MINI SDK package attached here : mini-sdk.zip

3. Windows PC (Win 7/8) I have not tried on windows XP or lower

4. Nexus 4 drivers installed on the PC

5. Ensure you have adequate battery life on the phone ( atleast 50%)

Steps to Install:

1. Unzip the contents of the mini SDK package to the root of your C drive

2. Move the 4.3 update file downloaded in step 1 to the mini SDK folder

3. Rename the update package to Update.zip (ensure that you can see the file extension in windows before renaming so that the file is named correctly)

4. Open command prompt on windows

5. Type in the command : cd C:\mini-sdk

6. Boot your phone in Fastboot mode and then go to recovery

7. In recovery select the option "apply update from ADB "

The screen will then show a message : Now send the package you want to apply to the device with ' adb sideload <filename>".....

8. Back on your PC type in the command : adb sideload update.zip

9. The phone will display certain messages and will update itself in the background

10. Wait till the update is complete and Enjoy 4.3

Notes:

1. You will NOT loose your data

2. This can be used only on STOCK recovery

3. It will work on UNLOCKED bootloader

Kyle Austin

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
This is the procedure I followed to Update to Stock 4.3.

Requirements:

1. 4.3 update file : Click here - JWR66V from JDQ39

2. MINI SDK package attached here : mini-sdk.zip

3. Windows PC (Win 7/8) I have not tried on windows XP or lower

4. Nexus 4 drivers installed on the PC

5. Ensure you have adequate battery life on the phone ( atleast 50%)

Steps to Install:

1. Unzip the contents of the mini SDK package to the root of your C drive

2. Move the 4.3 update file downloaded in step 1 to the mini SDK folder

3. Rename the update package to Update.zip (ensure that you can see the file extension in windows before renaming so that the file is named correctly)

4. Open command prompt on windows

5. Type in the command : cd C:\mini-sdk

6. Boot your phone in Fastboot mode and then go to recovery

7. In recovery select the option "apply update from ADB "

The screen will then show a message : Now send the package you want to apply to the device with ' adb sideload <filename>".....

8. Back on your PC type in the command : adb sideload update.zip

9. The phone will display certain messages and will update itself in the background

10. Wait till the update is complete and Enjoy 4.3

Notes:

1. You will NOT loose your data

2. This can be used only on STOCK recovery

3. It will work on UNLOCKED bootloader

not working for me im doing what u said when i get to recovery mode my little android guy got a little red triangle on him

codemonkey85

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
not working for me im doing what u said when i get to recovery mode my little android guy got a little red triangle on him

Hold the power button and hit volume up once or twice and you should see the recovery menu. The text was quite tiny on my device; it was scrunched up at the top.

VanquishUK1234

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
i get a error saying warning: no file_contextsverifying current system
Never mind flashed system.img then sideloaded and it seems to have worked thanks:)

Last edited:

tawilson

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Will this work for a Nexus 4 with the product name of "mako" as I noticed it isn't listed in the Nexus 4 Factory Image list?

It's okay, found the mako/occam question answered elsewhere, and the answer is yes.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I'm having this weird issue. I've successfully sideloaded this, but after everything was done, optimized, and boots into my regular homescreen. I found the home button mapping to be unresponsive and I am not able to access the quick notifications (with the double finger swipe down method and the quick panel button). Um..Should I re-sidleload this? And oh..I can't access Google Now swiping from the home button and update my apps through the play story either.
Screenshot_2013-07-25-00-00-44.png

mhk08

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Hold the power button and hit volume up once or twice and you should see the recovery menu. The text was quite tiny on my device; it was scrunched up at the top.

same problem here...
There is no option in recovery. After selecting recvoery in fast boot : google logo... the android logo with a red triangle and under line it says: No command.
btw, for fast boot : vol. down + power :D
Any idea?

David Kalwar

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
This worked great with the little trick how to find the options in the recovery! Thank you! I like the new Camera. Apart from that, cant "see" any big differences :)

SteveEdson

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I followed the steps exactly, but its been on the Nexus bootloader animation for a while. Is this normal? Should it take a while, or have I broken something? :-\

Pirx73

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
Worked fine for me. But i wish OP would update his post including actions to perform what to do when in recovery mode only thing is you see is a picture of android with opened belly.
I do not think i was the only one getting confused at that stage. If you do it first time you don't know what else to do.
Plus "Install Nexus 4" drivers could use a little elaboration. It actually should say "Install ADB drivers" with link pointing to google manual how to do it.
Google USB Driver | Android Developers
Apart from that - useful post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs