Hello Nexus 4 Goodbye Verizon

Maxcady

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Just joined this forum, looks like an awesome place!

About a month ago I purchased a snazzy white N4 and dropped VZW for T-Mobile. So far T-Mobile's network speeds have been just fine here in Phoenix.

The Nexus is fast and very smooth without the Verizon overlay and bloatware that bogged down my old Razr.

It's a great feeling having an unlocked phone and no contract hanging over my head. I think many people get trapped in the 2 year contract/upgrade cycle
because it's all they've ever known and they just assume that's how things are supposed to be. I hope more people come to realize this pricing model is a
complete rip off.

I'm looking forward to getting O/S upgrades in a timely fashion instead of waiting for VZW to dictate when/if they decide to release one.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Congratulations! You won't be disappointed with your new phone. I'm glad your area gets good T-Mobile coverage.

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Good move; I did the same recently... well, I got the HTC One first (which I still use) then got my N4 at a later date.
Leaving Verizon is one of my best decisions in recent memory. lol

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Congrats! Did the same on N4 launch day last Fall. Soooo nice with no contract and just "trying out" services. Went to TMo $30 prepaid plan first for 4months, but the data signal at work was going to almost nothing, so I switched to Straight Talk AT&T for the last 5 months. Signal was better at work, but really everywhere data signal was looowwww.
Now I just switched back to TMo $30 prepaid plan since LTE is up in Atlanta and speeds are through the roof!!! Work has signal, but that's good enough.

So, it's just so nice to go from one carrier to another and not worry about ETF's and crap. Just stop paying on the prepaid plans and jump to someone else :)

To be free from Verizon is the BEST!!!!!! $89/month now down to $30! Unlimited data and 100min talking (but with GrooveIP voice IS unlimited!)

Maxcady

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks!

Being out from under VZW is almost as nice as my new N4.

As for the 4.3 update, nothing in Phoenix as of yet.

Posted via Android Central App

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad that you are enjoying your new freedom with a great phone, to boot! I prefer the contract-free model myself but admittedly, play both sides of this fence.

Craig Duncan1

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I am also in atlanta and went to tmobile store to get phone activated. The guy was telling me that it would be $50 a month plus 10 for data. He seemed like it was his first day on the job. Is there some secret handshake needed to get the $30 monthly plan?

Thanks in advance

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I am also in atlanta and went to tmobile store to get phone activated. The guy was telling me that it would be $50 a month plus 10 for data. He seemed like it was his first day on the job. Is there some secret handshake needed to get the $30 monthly plan?

Thanks in advance

If you are referring to the $30 prepaid Walmart plan (100 voice minutes/unlimited text/5GB high-speed data), you need to get a SIM-card activation kit and activate this plan on the T-Mobile website. You cannot get this plan in a T-Mobile bricks-and-mortar store. There are other ways to do this but the way that I stated is easiest, in my opinion.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site

Thanks in advance

You can sign up and order the SIM activation kit for the $30 plan on T-Mobile's prepaid website. Its not on their normal website.

Posted via Android Central App on Manta Ray

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
If you are referring to the $30 prepaid Walmart plan (100 voice minutes/unlimited text/5GB high-speed data), you need to get a SIM-card activation kit and activate this plan on the T-Mobile website. You cannot get this plan in a T-Mobile bricks-and-mortar store. There are other ways to do this but the way that I stated is easiest, in my opinion.

Actually, you can get this plan signup at a retail store. I did it last week, so I should know. I even double checked with the rep first and said that you can only get this online or at Walmart store. He said "I can do it for you, because I'm going to go online and do it for you". So, yes, there's no real advantage of doing it yourself online vs. the store, but since I was already there with a $30 prepaid activation kit that I bought from the Walmart a block down the street, why wait to do it at home when I'm already in the store.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Actually, you can get this plan signup at a retail store. I did it last week, so I should know. I even double checked with the rep first and said that you can only get this online or at Walmart store. He said "I can do it for you, because I'm going to go online and do it for you". So, yes, there's no real advantage of doing it yourself online vs. the store, but since I was already there with a $30 prepaid activation kit that I bought from the Walmart a block down the street, why wait to do it at home when I'm already in the store.

The rep wasn't supposed to do this, so I wouldn't advise another potential customer to try it. Also, there is the chance that in-store personnel will confuse this plan with the other $30 prepaid plan (1500 minutes/text messages and 30MB of data) and sign the customer up for something that he/she didn't want.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
The rep wasn't supposed to do this, so I wouldn't advise another potential customer to try it. Also, there is the chance that in-store personnel will confuse this plan with the other $30 prepaid plan (1500 minutes/text messages and 30MB of data) and sign the customer up for something that he/she didn't want.

I agree 100%. I went into the store and asked just a new micro SIM card and they gave me one and said what plan do you want. I said the $30 prepaid 100min/5GB plan to which the rep said "Just go down the street to Walmart, buy the $30 prepaid activation kit and come back.". So, that's what I did and like I originally said, I even questioned him but he said he'll do it for me. All because the Walmart and TMobile store are 1 block from each other, this made sense in my case. For others, I agree this isn't the best thing to do :)

pjc123

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I dumped Verizon a while back. Great service and the best cell coverage, but they know it and don't budge on their pricing even the tiniest bit. When I found out that Straight Talk was charging $45 for unlimited Web-Phone-Text and I was paying the same for just phone service with Verizon for a plain old dumb non-smartphone, that was the last straw and I picked up a Nexus 4. No matter how crummy Straight Talk service, shady unlimited terms, or speed is or will be in the future, anything above and beyond plain phone service for the same price is still a much better deal. Verizon not only charged the same, but there were surcharges for every text and web access, as well as minutes exceeding my measly 400 minutes.

EDIT: Maybe there shortly will be no Straight Talk at all; had not thought of that possibility. This was just released:

TracFone, Walmart sued over unlimited data service

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz