Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery Life on Nexus 4 after 4.3 update?

So how real is project roadrunner in reality? Does it live up to the hype? I am addicted to my Nexus 4 and if there is one complaint I have more than anything, it is the battery life. I will post updates on any improvements but I also want to hear from everyone else what they are seeing.

Default Re: Battery Life on Nexus 4 after 4.3 update?

Was 4.3 supposed to help battery?

Quote Originally Posted by RavenSword View Post
    Was 4.3 supposed to help battery?
    I think so.

Posted via Android Central App

Very good improvement. Sorry I didn't see this thread before posting mine.

Posted via Android Central App on a magical nexus 4 which is powered by secret forest creatures.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
    So how real is project roadrunner in reality? Does it live up to the hype? I am addicted to my Nexus 4 and if there is one complaint I have more than anything, it is the battery life. I will post updates on any improvements but I also want to hear from everyone else what they are seeing.
    Increased Battery Life with 4.3

I usually get through the day, I just wanted to see how long I could get my screen on for and really didn't want to wait ages seeing the Max time I could get on it. I am wanting to see what it will be like on a busy day at uni when I won't be on my phone as much.

Oops posted this in the wrong thread

Submitted from The Android Central App & a Nexus 4
    Last edited by Fairclough; 07-26-2013 at 06:18 AM.
    Tom Fairclough
    Credo faber est quisque fortunae suae
    I believe every man is the artisan of his own fortune

well, i read on that for a person who used to get 5-6 hours on his nexus 4, the android 4.3 rom does give play time for a heavy user for 25 hours.

I'm a fairly heavy user and yes, 5-6 hours and my nexus 4 needs a charge. My situation matches the writer's hence I loaded android 4.3 into my nexus 4. It has been two days and I'm praying hard that it's just that android 4.3 has not calibrated itself just yet causing battery consumption to not differ from android 4.2.2. If in the next few days things do not improve, well, i guess the whole idea of good battery life's just too good to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by anexiole View Post
    well, i read on that for a person who used to get 5-6 hours on his nexus 4, the android 4.3 rom does give play time for a heavy user for 25 hours.

I'm a fairly heavy user and yes, 5-6 hours and my nexus 4 needs a charge. My situation matches the writer's hence I loaded android 4.3 into my nexus 4. It has been two days and I'm praying hard that it's just that android 4.3 has not calibrated itself just yet causing battery consumption to not differ from android 4.2.2. If in the next few days things do not improve, well, i guess the whole idea of good battery life's just too good to be true.
    25 Hours for heavy usage sounds impossible to me

thinking the same thing, 25 hours of HEAVY use sounds ridiculously fake.

I mean I have amazing standby time, if i dont use anything i can last almost 3 days without a charge, however light use say just web browsing on data for a couple hours and i will need a charge.....

roughly 4-5 hours in fact, i dont know how people can even last 6 hours no matter what you do......6 hours screen on time per charge? is my screen too bright or are you guys torturing yourself with super low brightness? I dont know.....

Anyways, back to topic. I personally think the battery is gonna improve, but 4-6 times? No freaking way.

I've hit 5 hours. Trust me this is much better then the 3 and a half hours I used to get.

My battery life went to hell after the 4.3 update. I only have a small handful of apps outside of the standard Gapps (about 5 apps - all of which were present pre-update). From a full charge, I lose 30+% overnight after the update. I even did a factory reset of the phone. No change. Flashed back to 4.2.2 using a nandroid backup I had. I hope things go back to normal.
    Knyte and pzelnip like this.

Let us know, because i have same situation. My battery life burns like hell in sleeping mode. Today i changed my phone at 8am, now 1pm... already 54% left... used wifi for 5 mins, thats all, almoust half gone. And the other fact... in sleeping mode my phone have ~38C temperature. Evey programs killed, no internet, wifi... clean... this is joke.

BTW, settings->batery : SMS uses 87% of my battery.. wtf ?

Quote Originally Posted by Calebz View Post
    My battery life went to hell after the 4.3 update. I only have a small handful of apps outside of the standard Gapps (about 5 apps - all of which were present pre-update). From a full charge, I lose 30+% overnight after the update. I even did a factory reset of the phone. No change. Flashed back to 4.2.2 using a nandroid backup I had. I hope things go back to normal.

Not that I am enjoying your dismay, but I am glad I'm not the only one.

I am back on 4.2.2, but with the new kernel. My understanding was that kernel config was where the new battery savings came from. So maybe this will be the way to go for a while. I will update tomorrow after the phone has some time to sit idle overnight.

This is why I decided to wait a few weeks before upgrading.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

This thread will probably be closed soon because i did not notice the buried forum on the same exact topic. Calebz I am in the same exact boat as you. Taking my phone off the charge in the morning i see my phone drop from 100% to 97% in less than 2 seconds. Coming back from the shower after playing 2 minuets of gyro i am at 90%, currently typing this comment 88%

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Nexus 4 owner. Before 4.3, I would need to charge every night, and if I forgot (or if the phone slipped off the charger, which it does sometimes) I would be left with about 5% battery in the morning. After the 4.3 update, I didn't charge overnight, and still had 50% battery the next morning! The standby time improvement is truly awesome! Not much change to overall screen time, but I am very pleased with the increase in standby, I gauge it at roughly 300% improvement for me.

Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hanley View Post
    Nexus 4 owner. Before 4.3, I would need to charge every night, and if I forgot (or if the phone slipped off the charger, which it does sometimes) I would be left with about 5% battery in the morning. After the 4.3 update, I didn't charge overnight, and still had 50% battery the next morning! The standby time improvement is truly awesome! Not much change to overall screen time, but I am very pleased with the increase in standby, I gauge it at roughly 300% improvement for me.

This is what I've read as well. Improvement to standby time but not screen time. I didn't really think there was anything they could do about screen time anyway.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule9 View Post
    This is what I've read as well. Improvement to standby time but not screen time. I didn't really think there was anything they could do about screen time anyway.
    If Franco can with his custom kernel why can't Google do it too I wonder? or am I too naive? I was rooted and using Franco's kernel and returned to stock last night, got the OTA. Only thing I can say is that I'm really not impressed with battery life so far compared with what I had. Nine hours and I have only 30% left, with two and a half hours of on screen time. I will give it a few days, otherwise as soon as root is stable I go back to franco's kernel. At least then I didn't have to worry about my phone dying before the end of the day.
    Banned

Global Posts
    854 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ysbg View Post
    If Franco can with his custom kernel why can't Google do it too I wonder? or am I too naive? I was rooted and using Franco's kernel and returned to stock last night, got the OTA. Only thing I can say is that I'm really not impressed with battery life so far compared with what I had. Nine hours and I have only 30% left, with two and a half hours of on screen time. I will give it a few days, otherwise as soon as root is stable I go back to franco's kernel. At least then I didn't have to worry about my phone dying before the end of the day.
    FK isn't completely free of it's own issues though, although he is pretty good at support. From what I'm seeing reported so far, the 4.3 improvement is as good as anything FK is giving out. There's also the matter of FK not doing people any good who've quit unlocking/rooting their phones or never did it at all

Don't see any change in the battery life (both stand by and use).

EDITED: my Nexus 4 is turning off automatically! WT*!

This happened twice since I got the OTA update on my Nexus 4:

- I was gaming for 5 min, with 20% battery life. Closed the app from the "Recent Apps" menu, and turned off the screen. 30 mins later, I got the phone and it was harm (like 40C), and the battery was dead.

- Yesterday I went sleep with 50% battery life and I did the same, played for 5 min, closed the apps and went sleep. Today I woke up without my alarm.

I'll do more tests and post here the screenshots. By the way, the games I was playing was "Beach Buggy Blitz" and "Temple Run 2".
    Last edited by Guilherme Coelho; 07-30-2013 at 11:38 AM.

After only one day of use on 4.3 I can say that my battery life has improved markedly.

I don't usually have a lot of screen time but my phone handles a bit of audio, around 3 hours per day. Usually I'm plugging it in at night at around 20%, tonight around 55% which is very encouraging.

Probably concur with some others that it seems be a really good standby battery drain improvement.

I can definitely tell that battery life has decreased for me: I used to go to bed with a remarkable 65%-75% of battery life after using it all day (8 am to 2 am) for some texts and e-mail and one or two calls a day (very light use most of the time in general). Now, after the 4.3 update, my battery is nowhere near that range when I go to bed, and it easily goes below 50%. The first time, right after the update, it was draining my battery like hell, like 1% every minute. I did a soft reset, and it seemed to fix the huge draining problem, but I'm still getting less than with 4.2 as just explained.

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

HUGE improvement in battery life for me.
    15 hours yesterday with 4 hours on screen time with 37% battery left.

I will say this again!!! UPDATE GOOGLE MAPS. it saves about 10% battery on an average before and after
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast