back to 4.2.2 from 4.3 for me

mike9186

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
So I upgraded to 4.3 yesterday without an issue (I used N-Cry to sideload and root and Helium as a backup/restore program). Previously I had Franco Kernel running and tweaked the screen with the color controls. Well I had forgotten how crappy the unadjusted N4 screen is and just couldn't get it to look decent in 4.3. My other major gripe with the phone is the crappy camera (and it is total crap, so bad that I will seriously consider getting rid of this phone when Apple or Google release a new piece of hardware). The new camera app is slightly nicer to use but the image quality is the same, lousy.

So not being able to use Franco to improve the screen and getting no improvement in camera quality (and frankly I did not notice a difference in anything else) I decided to go back to 4.2.2. Sure my battery life will probably not be as good but if the overall user experience (i.e. lousy screen) goes down what benefit is an improved battery life.

YMMV but I just wanted to give my feedback.

Mike B

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

Also lets take into consideration it always takes a few days for the developers to harness the new update and get things working. Franco will have that sucker working soon enough.. Those kernels can be awful tricky and I rather have them take their time and precautions so we don't have a mess of bricks from kernel issues.

Plus I know they are still having some root issues with SuperSU with 4.3.. That will be the first thing tackled to eliminate all headaches.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
FYI Franco has had a 4.3 kernel out since a few hours after it hit AOSP (r170). Since he's on holiday it's just not fully tunable yet. Also, Franco personally said that 4.3 brings HUGE under the hood improvements especially in the kernel/touch driver deparment and seems downright giddy about it. I'll take his opinion over most anyone's ; ) Most users find the colors much improved, but stock vs stock. I have my screen EXACTLY how I want it with R165 and franco's app, as I'm sure you do, so of course that why YMMV. I'd miss AOKP PUB and fully tunable kernel too much so I'm waiting patiently for the devs to get the good stuff on 4.3. Also want to say what folks say about LTE on 4.3 as it's been fantastic on 4.2.2...if only for that it seems I get better overall coverage with it enabled (HSPA+ DL speeds were nearly as fast...not up though).

Lauranar

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey, so I updated my Nexus 7 to Jellybean 4.3 as well and now my external keyboard (Zagg Flex) won't work. So I am not super tech-savvy and I would like to go back to 4.2.2 ... How do I do that?
Thanks a bunch!

sheikhnir

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
Same thing happened to me. But restarting the phone worked for me.
One of my friends told me to press vol+, vol- and power button simultaneously until it restarts. After the restart, touch is working and my system is also JellyBean 4.3.
Hope it helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49