Need help unrooting my nexus 4

bsmithphoto13

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I just bought a used nexus 4 that the person had rooted. I want to go back to out of the box stock 4.3. This is my first nexus and am a little unsure how to do this. I'm running a macbook pro as my computer if that helps at all

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay so first are you just rooted or is there a custom rom installed? If the phone is just rooted then my advice would be to leave it as it is as having root access does not affect the performance or feel of the phone at all. If you do still want to unroot then you have to decide if you want to just unroot or if you want to unroot and relock the bootloader. To unroot you will have to flash the factory images. You will lose all the data on your phone but there is a way to leave you userdata unchanged. You will also need to decide whether you want to do things manually which will give you better knowledge or using a toolkit which is easier.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Actually if it's not on a custom ROM, just doing a factory reset from the settings ought to unroot it I'm pretty sure

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Actually if it's not on a custom ROM, just doing a factory reset from the settings ought to unroot it I'm pretty sure

Does it?? I thought factory resetting doesn't affect the system partition? You are probably right, my head isnt working at the moment lol

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
You could just flash a factory image. That would make it 100% stock including (i believe) any custom recovery that may be installed. And with 4.3 hitting there's guides aplenty knocking about!

Posted via Android Central App

bsmithphoto13

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Okay so first are you just rooted or is there a custom rom installed? If the phone is just rooted then my advice would be to leave it as it is as having root access does not affect the performance or feel of the phone at all. If you do still want to unroot then you have to decide if you want to just unroot or if you want to unroot and relock the bootloader. To unroot you will have to flash the factory images. You will lose all the data on your phone but there is a way to leave you userdata unchanged. You will also need to decide whether you want to do things manually which will give you better knowledge or using a toolkit which is easier.

Here is what the person sent me when I bought it

I left the Bootloader unlocked and flashed a stock Odexed ROM on it, but its still rooted. I hope this is OK. I didnt know if you used custom ROMs or not and you said to return it to stock, but I wasnt sure if you wanted Root removed as well.** It has TWRP recovery.

Not sure what it actually means haha

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Here is what the person sent me when I bought it

I left the Bootloader unlocked and flashed a stock Odexed ROM on it, but its still rooted. I hope this is OK. I didnt know if you used custom ROMs or not and you said to return it to stock, but I wasnt sure if you wanted Root removed as well.** It has TWRP recovery.

Not sure what it actually means haha

Odexed means the cache for apks is contained separately in a .odex file while deodexed is when the cache is kept within the apk itself in a .dex file. Odexed has faster booting times but deodexed allows for more customisation which is why custom ROMs are usually deodexed. Im sure stock is odexed as it is more safe and what the guy meant is that he put stock rom back on the phone. Go to about phone in settings and see what it says about your build version, kernel version etc. The device is rooted with an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery. Like I said before, having root wont really affect anything except gaining access to system files but it is up to you whether you want complete stock.

bsmithphoto13

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
Odexed means the cache for apks is contained separately in a .odex file while deodexed is when the cache is kept within the apk itself in a .dex file. Odexed has faster booting times but deodexed allows for more customisation which is why custom ROMs are usually deodexed. Im sure stock is odexed as it is more safe and what the guy meant is that he put stock rom back on the phone. Go to about phone in settings and see what it says about your build version, kernel version etc. The device is rooted with an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery. Like I said before, having root wont really affect anything except gaining access to system files but it is up to you whether you want complete stock.

This is what I see in system settings. I'd prefer going back to complete stock for now.

peqequgy.jpg

anon(843178)

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to ask the question I thought the OP was asking because I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to this stuff but I want to learn. Anyway. I just purchased a Nexus 4 on eBay and it's running CM 10.1. I'd like to go back to square one: 100% 4.3 stock, locked bootloader, etc. if that's possible. If it's not, then flashing to 4.3 ought to do. I really only have a desire to be rooted on an otherwise stock device. But if I do delve into flashing roms I want to learn from the ground up with a stock device. Here's MY settings if it helps. Also there's a whole bunch of rom flashing related crap on the phone. I'd like to get rid of everything unnecessary so it's a clean slate. If someone could point me in the right direction I'd be immensely grateful!

Screenshot_2013-07-27-22-31-47_zps9df977b4.png

phone_zps0b70107c.jpg

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
This is what I see in system settings. I'd prefer going back to complete stock for now.

Yep that is stock. Im pretty sure what 2defmouze said earlier about doing a factory reset will not unroot the device but if you want you can try it just in case. Go to settings, backup and restore and click on factory reset. You might want to back up your important data before doing that, helium is a great app to use. If the factory reset doesn't work then you got to decide if you want to unroot and relock manually or using a toolkit?

I'm going to ask the question I thought the OP was asking because I'm pretty much a total noob when it comes to this stuff but I want to learn Anyway. I just purchased a Nexus 4 on eBay and it's running CM 10.1. I'd like to go back to square one, 100% 4.3 stock, locked bootloader, etc. if that's possible. If it's not, then flashing to 4.3 ought to do. I really only have a desire to be rooted on an otherwise stock device. But if I do delve into flashing roms I want to learn from the ground up with a stock device. Here's MY settings if it helps:

Would you like to unroot manually or using a toolkit?

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to do it manually first.

Ive found this really helpful video for you. Its step by step so you can just pause and carry on as you go along. If you are interested in ever rooting again then I would advise you do not relock the bootloader. Instead of downloading the 4.2 images you want to download the 4.3 images. Also it is highly recommended you backup all your important data. If you want to start completely fresh out the box feel then you could just type flash-all.bat instead of going through the process of individually flashing the boot, recovery, system, userdata images. If you want to leave userdata then individually flash the other like in the video.

Rizy7

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Thanks so much! I'll let you know how it goes.

No problem. Just to make things more clear. When you download the 4.2UnrootNexus4.zip and extract it you need to delete the radio image, bootloader image and occam jo40c zip. Download the 4.3 images from 4.3 images, extract it and copy all the files to where you just deleted the other ones. When you get to 05:36 in video just type in flash-all.bat which will make things a lot easier. Make sure you back up!

I dont know why I didnt just link you to 2def's guide :confused: Having a bad day :-[

Last edited:

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
@steamedturtle yes just follow my factory restore guide and lock the bootloader after (simple fastboot command) and you'll be complete stock and have accomplished it yourself..

I dont know why I didnt just link you to 2def's guide :confused: Having a bad day :-[

Yeah, jerk, Wtf!?

Haha jk jk :)

anon(843178)

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Made it to stock 4.3. Left the bootloader unlocked so I can root next. Then I can go to sleep happy and content with this awesome phone. Thanks for the quick help!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance