Get Nexus 4 or wait for Nexus Next?

SlvrYeti

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
My Mrs is after a new phone and loves the stock Android experience. Should I get her a Nexus 4, or wait for the next model? I can't seem to find any news on the latter.

juicebox666

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen any firm specs for the N5. Phones are starting to hit the technological ceiling and high end hardware is starting to show diminishing returns.

I updated my Nexus S to a Nexus 4 and I'm totally in love with it! The quad-core processor and 2 GB of ram keep the N4 running smoothly, regardless of what I throw at it. I've been recommending it to everyone, even over the S4 and HTC One. Like your wife, I'm all about the stock experience and don't need/want the fluff of TouchWiz and Sense.

Good OL MC

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My Mrs is after a new phone and loves the stock Android experience. Should I get her a Nexus 4, or wait for the next model? I can't seem to find any news on the latter.

Sorta depends on what phone she has now. Nexus S? Get that patient lady a Nexus 4 and some chocolate. GNex? Eh, I'm not a fan of waiting for phones that have no specs, no release date, and no price - just do the 4 and LLAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlvrYeti

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorta depends on what phone she has now. Nexus S? Get that patient lady a Nexus 4 and some chocolate. GNex? Eh, I'm not a fan of waiting for phones that have no specs, no release date, and no price - just do the 4 and LLAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Actually, she doesn't even have a smartphone anymore. She got rid of it saying she was sick of charging it (this was ~year ago) and now wants one back to play a particular game, check her Facebook and look stuff up while out.

It seems delivery time from Google here in the UK is 1-2 days processing and 1-2 days delivery.

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely go for the Nexus 4. The phone is great and after the 4.3 update, it is as fast and smooth as ever. I have had no problems with it at all. Oh, and by the way, the phone takes great pictures. You do have to adjust the settings to match the conditions, but phone can take awesome pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

boxer2

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I would get it now. There are better phones out there now but the Nexus 4 is such a great value. The just released Nexus 7 has nearly the same internals, just shows how powerful this device is.

SlvrYeti

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I would get it now. There are better phones out there now but the Nexus 4 is such a great value. The just released Nexus 7 has nearly the same internals, just shows how powerful this device is.

I ordered her one last night. It's cheap enough for her to upgrade when the new one arrives. It says it'll ship before July 31st. I'm thinking of ditching my xperia z to get one also. The xperia can get so sluggish.

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

If she's the type to really appreciate the new new thing, then you might be well suited to wait. If google is true to past form, then the newer version will probably come out in the fall. Or it might not.

If she just wants a newer phone, the Nexus 4 is still a decent choice.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I guess there is no right or wrong answer here, if you can wait and are patient, then you might get a nice reward in terms of a much better phone. But if you want to enjoy a fantastic phone right now, then you can't go wrong with the N4.

I was using an htc desire before getting the N4. About two months or so before the N4 came out, I couldn't charge the phone through usb anymore so I had to remove the battery and plug it in a universal charger every time, several times a day. The charge wouldn't last very long, and the phone was acting up because of the absence of battery for so long while it was charging. Still I'm glad I kept my crappy htc and waited for N4 to come up rather than getting a Gnex.

Last edited:

SlvrYeti

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the lack of update! It arrived, got her a case and screen protector. She loves it. Updated to 4.3 upon opening and it's so smooth and fast. As a result, I've just ordered my own! It was ~ ?290 with shipping here in the UK, which for a phone of such specs if a steal. If the Nexus 5 comes out and it's such a big jump, nothing to stop us upgrading.

A little off topic, but does the Nexus 4 support Wireless N 40Mhz?