Will there be a Nexus 5?

James Frary

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
My question is... Will they make a Nexus 5 or will they keep the name and update the nexus 4 since they now have a Nexus family of devices. I thought this would be a good question to toss around.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Don't know. Seems Google has been concentrating on their Nexus tablets but we should know soon what they plan on doing.

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 using Tapatalk 4

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure. With tablets it makes sense to keep the current naming conventions,but phones are a whole different beasts.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Can't guarantee it will be called a nexus 5 but Google has confirmed they will continue the nexus line of phones.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Speculating on Google's future product names is a bit like trying to capture lightning in a bottle, I'm afraid. From what I can tell, the product name does somewhat depend on the hardware manufacturer, but we will see.

The only two things I'd really like to see in the next product is LTE and 32 / 64GB storage. Not that Google should in any way, shape, or form rest on its laurels, but it doesn't have to iterate brand new hardware all that often. It's not like they have to worry every second about competition from Apple. They've passed up Apple and are continuing to accelerate based on the inherent natures of their products and business model. Right now, the only folks you see buying iOS-driven devices are:

1. Those going after a brand name;
2. Those who just flat out don't know any better;
3. Those who have ties to a certain specific app (or group of apps) that are iOS-exclusive.

To be fair, #3 mostly describes creative professionals and highly-specialized vertical markets like health and medicine. These obviously are very important business segments, and absolutely Google should pursue those app developers vigorously, but for #s 1 and 2, the best way to gain traction is use word of mouth and advertising that riffs off of one of Microsoft's latest ads, which shows price differences and a noticible featureset and freedom difference.

ysbg

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Right now, the only folks you see buying iOS-driven devices are:

1. Those going after a brand name;
2. Those who just flat out don't know any better;
3. Those who have ties to a certain specific app (or group of apps) that are iOS-exclusive.

You seem to say that basically 99% people who choose iOS over Android are not in their right minds.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Except that those don't fall in line with the Nexus mindset.

Bingo. The Google Edition phones and the Moto X do not meet the criteria of Nexus as they all have their respective manufacturer's frameworks installed. Without being hacked, those devices will not run pure aosp like the Nexus line.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

jiovine

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I would say moving forward Google could capitalize on carriers eliminating phone subsidies and provide multiple Nexus models to consumers. Myself for one migrated to a nexus 4 based on the fact of cost and features from iPhone 5. You couldn't by a new unsubsidized phone for lees than $550 vs Nexus 4 $320. So bringing into to play Samsung and HTC with play editions may be the first move. If Google can keep the costs to that $300 mark then most consumers will more than likely buy. They should also invest in branding and educating consumers via retail store front. Educating customers on topic of interoperability between multiple drives and PC/Mac. Apple is a closed sandbox and does this well. Android can be over whelming to the avg consumer as it is emensely feature rich and completely customizable. Implementations vary per manufacturer. I know my father threw his hands up in the air in frustration from being over whelmed and he is very computer literate.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk HD

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd like more storage space, LTE, a better camera and I wouldn't mind a bigger screen for the next Nexus smart phone.

I agree that most people buy an iPhone because of the brand name and marketing. I have a Galaxy S4 (crap besides the awesome screen, camera and LTE) and a bunch of iPhones - including the iPhone 5.

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I really hope that google continues to make their own Nexus phones. But ever since the started the "Google Play Editions" of certain phones, maybe google will choose to go that route instead. Its a lot easier for google to take a phone that another company has made and slap stock android on it. Take the GS4 and the HTC One, both are great phones by themselves, and all google has to do is slap stock android onto it and BOOM!, instant nexus device. But I guess we will have to see what the future holds.

James Frary

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Which is correct term. Water proof or what resistant. I thought proof ment it would not ever be effected by water.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using AC Forums mobile app

lucky87ad

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I would love to see a new nexus however I might be the only person who doesn't like this "bigger screen" trend. I would not be a buyer with a 5"+ screen. I think the size now is perfect and anything bigger would be too much for me. I don't watch movies, TV shows, or stream anything on my phone so maybe that's why I'm content with the screen size now. Hopefully they just make a nexus 4 #2 with upgraded hardware and what not. But that's just me!

Posted via Android Central App

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
You seem to say that basically 99% people who choose iOS over Android are not in their right minds.

There is a difference between being one of the sheeple and being insane. Windows users continuing to buy newer and newer versions of Windows hoping for improvements or thinking they are perhaps better off on the security front are insane. Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Most people buy an iPhone because of branding and neither know nor care about what they are missing. They are sheeple because they like being led around by the nose and don't want to chew their own food.

I prefer Android because, even though I use it with most of the default settings and configuration intact, those basic things are better executed than in iOS, to say nothing of not having a restrictive one-size-fits-all business policy that undergirds all of the design choices in iOS.

I also love full native support for a bunch of media codecs, particularly OGG and FLAC, and the fact that its ecosystem includes open-source as an inherent part of all business policy and design factors.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Which is correct term. Water proof or what resistant. I thought proof ment it would not ever be effected by water.

I think most companies use the term, "water resistant." It implies that a device can withstand exposure to water, but it leaves the possibility that excessive conditions involving water can still damage the phone. So maybe a water resistant phone can survive a few rain drops, but it won't function after being dropped into a river, for example.

I think Liquipel is making a process to make phones extremely water resistant. Here is their website. We may see something like that on a future Nexus device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey