Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
08-02-2013 11:58 AM
23 replies
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By willdogs
  • 1 Post By Tall Mike 2145
  • 3 Post By willdogs
  • 2 Post By DirkBelig
  • 2 Post By Chex313
  • 2 Post By PcNy
  • 1 Post By DirkBelig
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default My Favorite New Feature of 4.3

Is the ability to now find contacts from the phone dialer by just dialing the first few digits of their name. Missed this from my HTC sense days.

Make sure to turn it on in the phone dialer settings by choosing "Dial Pad Autocomplete"

Other than that 4.3 is a blessing. Much more responsive and huge battery life improvement. I read through all of these threads with people having issues and can only think that they may be either doing something wrong or have some crazy apps installed that are not compatible with 4.3 yet causing them issues.
    karens1039, still1 and mastrK13 like this.

Default Re: My Favorite New Feature of 4.3

I haven't tried the dial pad autocomplete thing because I normally use GrooveIP and not the native dialer. Other than that, I haven't seen any performance or battery consumption improvements.

As for the glitches and problems people here seem to be having, I'd put that down generally to user error. Everyone I've seen on here -- or talked to in real life -- who has had no problems followed best practices and wiped their device before doing the upgrade, just like me.
    willdogs likes this.

Global Posts
    1,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

It's cool, but my g/f has three phone #s and it just presents her default home #.

I have a different dialer other than the stock one, Go Dialer, but it works there too... Cool https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pps.contactpro
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by DirkBelig View Post
    It's cool, but my g/f has three phone #s and it just presents her default home #.
    Long press on your girlfriends name/number and choose another number

Global Posts
    1,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I'd tried that, but must not have pressed it down long enough. Thanks!

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Mike 2145 View Post
    I haven't tried the dial pad autocomplete thing because I normally use GrooveIP and not the native dialer. Other than that, I haven't seen any performance or battery consumption improvements.

As for the glitches and problems people here seem to be having, I'd put that down generally to user error. Everyone I've seen on here -- or talked to in real life -- who has had no problems followed best practices and wiped their device before doing the upgrade, just like me.
    You've already trolled enough with these superior comments in the bug thread...Its off topic here...Resetting before an OTA update is like calling the fire department before you light a candle.

You can always reset afterwards if you do have problems. I guess there are at least a million OTA updates that do not have any problems. We all get the point that you like to reset your phone before you update... Just save the attitude would ya?

The OTA is pushed to the phone...Not a lot of folks are going to not install it...So lets just give them a little respect and offer helpful advice.

and On topic on the OP. I like the upgrade to the BT stack, Lower power BT is always welcome.

I didn't reset my phone and have had absolutely no problems with my phone since the update that I've noticed? I sure do love this phone though!!

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

Any type of flashing can go wrong. That doesn't always happen, but it does happen. When it does happen, fixes are going to be difficult until a proper flash is done, regardless of what type it was, OTA or not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I like that I can use volume button to take pictures
    ysbg and Assassin Droid like this.

Global Posts
    1,442 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by PcNy View Post
    I like that I can use volume button to take pictures
    Holy cow, I didn't know that.

I'm really surprised that no one has really talked about the changes to the camera app: how the AF doesn't seem as nervous, that shots go into a gallery box in the corner (no more swiping from the right), that the settings cascade up above your thumb instead of being hidden beneath it, and now volume button shutter release. What else is hiding?
    Assassin Droid likes this.

I did something really extreme with the update. After the update I waited to see if I had any problems at all with the new OS.. I did not, so I did not reset the phone. If I had, I would have reset the phone, then waited to see if the problems went away before I started a "whining" thread ....It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    I did something really extreme with the update. After the update I waited to see if I had any problems at all with the new OS.. I did not, so I did not reset the phone. If I had, I would have reset the phone, then waited to see if the problems went away before I started a "whining" thread ....It's not rocket science.
    And it is good thing too, because rocket science is for angry nerds. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Global Posts
    1,309 Global Posts
    Carrier
    EOS3 nightly 61 (4.1.2)

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post
    Is the ability to now find contacts from the phone dialer by just dialing the first few digits of their name. Missed this from my HTC sense days.

Make sure to turn it on in the phone dialer settings by choosing "Dial Pad Autocomplete"

Other than that 4.3 is a blessing. Much more responsive and huge battery life improvement. I read through all of these threads with people having issues and can only think that they may be either doing something wrong or have some crazy apps installed that are not compatible with 4.3 yet causing them issues.
    Even with the Trim magic done to the garbage files, Bluetooth LE, Open GL 3.0.....I will agree with you whole heartily, the dialer auto is by far...the best thing to ever happen to Android. I can not tell you how long I have waited for this to be a native feature!

Quote Originally Posted by willdogs View Post

Did you just figure that out, since 2006 I've never had a phone without smart dial feature...I've always had a HTC smartphone...WM then android

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I love the better battery life and the permissions app!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    I love the better battery life and the permissions app!
    I like the fact that Google has given us the ability to disable app permissions, but I wonder how long it will be before users start disabling some of these permissions, then coming on here complaining that this don't work and that don't work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

Quote Originally Posted by fernandezhjr View Post
    I like the fact that Google has given us the ability to disable app permissions, but I wonder how long it will be before users start disabling some of these permissions, then coming on here complaining that this don't work and that don't work.

Yeah that's the problem, they'll just make the App not work if you choose to not give them the permissions they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Yeah that's the problem, they'll just make the App not work if you choose to not give them the permissions they want.
    Well certain features require certain permissions. Disabling the permissions will disable the features. Some users are not going to realize this and think something is wrong with the app. That is what I meant.

Trial and error.... that's how people learn and that's why we have forums.

Well certain features require certain permissions. Disabling the permissions will disable the features. Some users are not going to realize this and think something is wrong with the app. That is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg C View Post
    Trial and error.... that's how people learn and that's why we have forums.
    That is fine for starters, but some people don't want to learn. Then they end up whining on the forums and some actually attack those that try to help. The technical expertise of those is a commodity. Calling them angry geeks is childish. And I'm not referring to you.

Global Posts
    633 Global Posts
    Carrier
    6.0 Marshmallow

Yeah I was agreeing with you. Your right.

I was just adding that disabling permissions on 4.3 at first, seems like a good idea but we will have to see how it turns out. in the end I'm thinking that if we don't want to allow an app permissions, the only real option will be to uninstall it. Cause it will be designed to break.

So some one can go ahead and write an editorial on it now. Explaining why its its not going to be very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Chex313 View Post
    Yeah I was agreeing with you. Your right.

I was just adding that disabling permissions on 4.3 at first, seems like a good idea but we will have to see how it turns out. in the end I'm thinking that if we don't want to allow an app permissions, the only real option will be to uninstall it. Cause it will be designed to break.

So some one can go ahead and write an editorial on it now. Explaining why its its not going to be very useful.
    It will be useful for the people that know how to manage properly. You can go to the Play Store and read comments where people complain about the permissions of the apps they install. Those are the ones that will be disabling permissions because they don't understand the necessity of them.

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Quote Originally Posted by FaisDogg View Post
    Did you just figure that out, since 2006 I've never had a phone without smart dial feature...I've always had a HTC smartphone...WM then android

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
    It was never native to Android. If you re-read what I said, I clearly stated that I missed it from my HTC Sense days.