My Favorite New Feature of 4.3

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
Is the ability to now find contacts from the phone dialer by just dialing the first few digits of their name. Missed this from my HTC sense days.

Make sure to turn it on in the phone dialer settings by choosing "Dial Pad Autocomplete"

Other than that 4.3 is a blessing. Much more responsive and huge battery life improvement. I read through all of these threads with people having issues and can only think that they may be either doing something wrong or have some crazy apps installed that are not compatible with 4.3 yet causing them issues.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried the dial pad autocomplete thing because I normally use GrooveIP and not the native dialer. Other than that, I haven't seen any performance or battery consumption improvements.

As for the glitches and problems people here seem to be having, I'd put that down generally to user error. Everyone I've seen on here -- or talked to in real life -- who has had no problems followed best practices and wiped their device before doing the upgrade, just like me.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I haven't tried the dial pad autocomplete thing because I normally use GrooveIP and not the native dialer. Other than that, I haven't seen any performance or battery consumption improvements.

As for the glitches and problems people here seem to be having, I'd put that down generally to user error. Everyone I've seen on here -- or talked to in real life -- who has had no problems followed best practices and wiped their device before doing the upgrade, just like me.
You've already trolled enough with these superior comments in the bug thread...Its off topic here...Resetting before an OTA update is like calling the fire department before you light a candle.

You can always reset afterwards if you do have problems. I guess there are at least a million OTA updates that do not have any problems. We all get the point that you like to reset your phone before you update... Just save the attitude would ya?

The OTA is pushed to the phone...Not a lot of folks are going to not install it...So lets just give them a little respect and offer helpful advice.

and On topic on the OP. I like the upgrade to the BT stack, Lower power BT is always welcome.

Last edited:

5L Mustang

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I didn't reset my phone and have had absolutely no problems with my phone since the update that I've noticed? I sure do love this phone though!!

sent from Nexus 4 Posted via Android Central App

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Any type of flashing can go wrong. That doesn't always happen, but it does happen. When it does happen, fixes are going to be difficult until a proper flash is done, regardless of what type it was, OTA or not.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I like that I can use volume button to take pictures
Holy cow, I didn't know that.

I'm really surprised that no one has really talked about the changes to the camera app: how the AF doesn't seem as nervous, that shots go into a gallery box in the corner (no more swiping from the right), that the settings cascade up above your thumb instead of being hidden beneath it, and now volume button shutter release. What else is hiding?

Captainbob767

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I did something really extreme with the update. After the update I waited to see if I had any problems at all with the new OS.. I did not, so I did not reset the phone. If I had, I would have reset the phone, then waited to see if the problems went away before I started a "whining" thread ....It's not rocket science.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I did something really extreme with the update. After the update I waited to see if I had any problems at all with the new OS.. I did not, so I did not reset the phone. If I had, I would have reset the phone, then waited to see if the problems went away before I started a "whining" thread ....It's not rocket science.

And it is good thing too, because rocket science is for angry nerds. Lol.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

CaMelGuY1337

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Is the ability to now find contacts from the phone dialer by just dialing the first few digits of their name. Missed this from my HTC sense days.

Make sure to turn it on in the phone dialer settings by choosing "Dial Pad Autocomplete"

Other than that 4.3 is a blessing. Much more responsive and huge battery life improvement. I read through all of these threads with people having issues and can only think that they may be either doing something wrong or have some crazy apps installed that are not compatible with 4.3 yet causing them issues.

Even with the Trim magic done to the garbage files, Bluetooth LE, Open GL 3.0.....I will agree with you whole heartily, the dialer auto is by far...the best thing to ever happen to Android. I can not tell you how long I have waited for this to be a native feature!

FaisDogg

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site

Did you just figure that out, since 2006 I've never had a phone without smart dial feature...I've always had a HTC smartphone...WM then android

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I love the better battery life and the permissions app!

I like the fact that Google has given us the ability to disable app permissions, but I wonder how long it will be before users start disabling some of these permissions, then coming on here complaining that this don't work and that don't work.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I like the fact that Google has given us the ability to disable app permissions, but I wonder how long it will be before users start disabling some of these permissions, then coming on here complaining that this don't work and that don't work.

Yeah that's the problem, they'll just make the App not work if you choose to not give them the permissions they want.

fernandezhjr

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah that's the problem, they'll just make the App not work if you choose to not give them the permissions they want.

Well certain features require certain permissions. Disabling the permissions will disable the features. Some users are not going to realize this and think something is wrong with the app. That is what I meant.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Trial and error.... that's how people learn and that's why we have forums.

Well certain features require certain permissions. Disabling the permissions will disable the features. Some users are not going to realize this and think something is wrong with the app. That is what I meant.