Google Services battery drain

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have found a very nice benefit from an app called WiFi Matic. It doesn't mess things up like a battery saver app; it just turns WiFi off when I don't need it, and it has improved battery life. I also turn off auto sync at night if the phone is not on the charger, and that has been effective.

Posted via Android Central App

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Though with Google Now I'm no longer experiencing constant wake locks (I do have a higher amount of wake locks but still reasonable considering Google now is activated) I do nonetheless experience decreased battery life. With Google now off I would get 3 to 3.5 he's screen on time. Now I get around 2.5 hrs screen on time mostly because my standby drain has increased, from about 1-2% per hour to as much as 4 some hours, usually 2-3% per hour though. Still debating whether or not Google Now is worth it for me. I definitely don't need it but it could be a useful tool. I just find I don't use it often at all.

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
I have found a very nice benefit from an app called WiFi Matic. It doesn't mess things up like a battery saver app; it just turns WiFi off when I don't need it, and it has improved battery life. I also turn off auto sync at night if the phone is not on the charger, and that has been effective.

It looks like W-Fi doesn't drain battery as much as the cellular data. If you switch off the cellular data, it helps more. BTW, there is an option on Wi-Fi to switch it off while sleeping. It's easier way to manage it.

Last edited:

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Honestly I don't know anymore lol... I got insane battery life today with all Google services on and location settings maxed out. I'm currently 13.5 hrs on battery since unplugged and have 3.5 he's screen on time, and I still have 18% left as I'm writing this!

Nlpcollectorwakelock has kept my phone awake for a little over an hour. To me this battery life is pretty insane lol. I hope it keeps up. Google now is enabled.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You're lucky. The minute I turn on location reporting in Maps I get Nlpcollector wake lock like crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
You're lucky. The minute I turn on location reporting in Maps I get Nlpcollector wake lock like crazy.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

That's the thing though, I do get Wake locks from that process. Yesterday I got total of 1 hr wake lock from Google services, 47 min of it through NLP. But still I had a very good proportion of deep sleep throughout the day. :confused:

jman1323

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I went back to 4.2.2 because of the battery drain from Google services and Android os. I tried the OTA update, Minimus aosp ROM, rasbeanjelly ROM, combined with the stock kernel, Franco kernel and matr1x. None of them helped with the added wakelocks and battery drain. The os and Google services were consuming as much battery as the screen even with 2+ hours of sot. Things like browsers and Pulse would also creep up the list to the 3rd or 4th position.

Back on 4.2.2 (liquid smooth) with matr1x kernel and I'm at 1.5 hours sot, 75% battery left with 3.5 hours off charger. Screen has consumed 46% of the battery, Android os is 2nd on the list with only 9% battery usage. Big difference.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Its just random, I'm convinced. I've had a couple of weeks of lots of power with just a single overnight charge. All of a sudden, yesterday drained really fast. This morning, my phone went from 100 to 78% in less than two hours when it was just in my pocket doing nothing. But now, 4 hours later with some usage, its 74%. Whatever Google was doing in the background is over.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Last night, 100% to dead in 7 hours, with no usage and auto sync off. Did a battery pull, recharged, and now I'm at 87 per cent with over 5 hours of moderate usage. Once again, it's random and unexplainable.

PP1982

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem only after i disabled the android device management feature in in google settings app things got back to normal. It seems that was my problem and not other apps.

P.

petaf

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I experienced extremely poor battery life after updating to 4.3 and wiping device. Finally settled down and I'm getting phenomenal battery life. Go figure.

anon(5600632)

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Since my battery pull on Sunday am, my battery life is the best it's ever been.

I'm convinced Google does something in the background on those plummet days, then they finish, and as long as you do something to stop the process, like a reboot or battery pull, you recover to normal, which usually is very good.

MichaelBR

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had Google Now, and the same problem. But Google Now wasn't really good for me: couldn't change the route, would never remind me when I needed, and used lots of battery. Disabled it, and use S-Voice occasionally.

I found that Google Framework, Maps, and others cause more battery use. I removed the updates for them, and now battery usage by them is lower.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using AC Forums mobile app

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I just had the nlpcollector wake lock come back up yesterday. It was always present but it was never draining the battery like it did yesterday. Went from 1% per hour to 5% on standby for some unknown reason. Seems sporadic and I simply disabled location reporting and history, which in turn disables Google now. It's not like I used it so I don't care but it for sure sucks for the people that do use it. I mean, it's a key feature of Android.

I don't find this stand by drain reliable enough and I hate things that are not of quality, and I especially hate picking up my phone only to see it lost crazy battery while I was simply walking around for a few hours.

cheesemachine

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I had my issue a couple of days ago where it said the sdcard was using 40% of my battery. No clue what that was. I rebooted three times and it stopped

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463