Nexus 4 + Nexus 7 vs. Samsung Galaxy Note III.

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm having trouble picking a set (or just one ) new device. Owning the aging Galaxy Nexus (now with a going battery and a cracked screen) I naturally considered the Nexus 4 first, since I was pretty happy with my Gnex ;) But then I remembered what had happened to so many of my friends who unluckily bought the Gnex a few months before the release of the N4 and how gutted they were :( So since the N4 is nearly a year old I'm not sure about getting it :( So instead I'm considering getting the new Galaxy Note III. as a good in-betweener :) but for the off contract price of an S4
( not talking of the Note III. ) I could have a N4 and a N7 but as I mentioned earlier the N4 is aging fast. But is it still a good buy for ?239-279 ? BTW -> I live in the UK, but don't want to go on contract. Thanks for any advice

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble picking a set (or just one ) new device. Owning the aging Galaxy Nexus (now with a going battery and a cracked screen) I naturally considered the Nexus 4 first, since I was pretty happy with my Gnex ;) But then I remembered what had happened to so many of my friends who unluckily bought the Gnex a few months before the release of the N4 and how gutted they were :( So since the N4 is nearly a year old I'm not sure about getting it :(

You could buy the Nexus 7 now and wait for the next Nexus phone to be released. I have the N4/N7 combo and it's sweet. But if you are a Samsung fan, the Note 3 can for the bill as well. I don't like to use my tablet and phone the same way and when I used to own a Note 2, I discovered that there was a problem with using a "phablet". The Note 2 was too big for handling like a phone (making phone calls, one handed texting or phone dialing) and it was slightly too small for some multimedia things like web browsing, watching movies, reading books, and playing games. It does allow a person to have a middle experience in all areas but with two separate devices, I can have a great experience in all areas. Plus the cost of the N7/N4 is probably going to be cheaper than the off contract price of the Note 3.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh and I just thought I'd add that I don't want the Note for TouchWiz because I'll root and flash either AOSKP or PACman ROM ;)

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Carefully reading through you're reply I wish I would just know if the new Nexus would be a significant or a minor upgrade (apart from hardware) to the N4 :( I also started thinking about that rumoured N10 launch this fall today too :O It's just I need SOMETHING by the end of September :O I don't mind waiting till then, but only if its worth it ;) I'm not looking for a small tablet form-factor,neither the thinnest and greatest phone ever. Just something (or a duo) that will last me a few years :( and actually I prefer larger tablets ( 10 inches does it for me) prior to owning last years N7 for a few months. I have about ?400 (nothing much,but pretty good for a student :p ) and I don't mind buying something second hand for the right price ;)

dsneedmd

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The big problem with the N4 is no LTE. You can correct this if your service uses band 4 or doesn't
have LTE. As long your OK with rooting your phone.

Afterlife737

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
LTE is no problem for me since it's just emerging here in the UK and I'm not on any (and don't plan to go on ) data plan :) I just need to reasure myself that the N4 is still a good buy :)

PKnowles95

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
ive had my N4 since christmas and with the recent update to 4.3 i am reassured that it is still an awesome phone ad will keep up with the times. its much smoother now and still snappy

Linh321

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Go and buy the Nexus 4 and the Nexus 7 for the price of one! I've just had the nexus 4 for roughly a week and I really like it! Decent battery life, no BLOATWARES from carrier! All those junk is annoying and their custom layered interfaces! Plain and simple is also i download what i like or want! In two years the n4 is still a good mid tiered phone with its specs sheet and almost up to date! I don't think in two years specs sheet is a concern. I think in term of cpu and gpu on mobile phones it has reach its peak imo! Within the next few years the trend is features and apps and innovation of applying hardware and software. And most importantly is the power usage consumptions! Take your galaxy nexus. At 1.2ghz dual-core cpu and 1 gig of ram it is still a superior phone than most mid tier phone My wife just bought the Lg L9 and it suits her needs Facebook and email and web browsing and a casual gaming to kill free time! AS for me i need an extra bit of umph for hd gaming! But that's just to kill time!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781