How to get Network mode toggle in Nexus 4 & 7 eg. Auto, 2G only, 3G only?

VivekMittalSlg

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I am using nexus 4 for a month now. 3G reception is very weak in my area, so everytime i switch on nexus 4 it shows 3G network for couple of seconds and then connects to 2G edge network. I have tried the same sim in Nokia N79, with 3G only network mode, and it show at least half (3 bars) network when connected in 3G only mode.

In nexus 4 and Nexus 7 there is no network mode option like there used to be Nokia and BB.
I have tried couple of Apps from play store but all of then land me to the mobile network setting page under wireless & networks settings.

So my question is How to get network mode toggle in #nexus4 & #nexus7 like there used to be in Nokia and BB. (eg:- Auto, 2G only, 3G only)?
So that i can dictate the phone to stay connected to 3G network, even when the 3G network reception is weak.

I guess this setting option is present in Samsung Galaxy and other Android device but some how missing in Nexus devices.

VivekMittalSlg

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Using this App in Nexus 4 and it is working fine. Able to toggle between 3G preferred and 3G only mode in Nexus 4... Working fine...

But not getting the same result in Nexus 7, means got the app in nexus 7,---> launched it,---> it open the Tablet Info,---> changed the network mode to WCDMA only,---> network disappears,---> searched for network,--->BSNL 3G pop up,---> trying to connect to this network,---> Does not connects to it,---> message shown "can't connect to the network at the moment. Try again later."

What to do? How to Connect to BSNL 3G in Nexus 7? and How to toggle between 3G only and 3G preferred mode in Nexus 7?

Bought NEXUS 7 from USA and using it in INDIA on BSNL 3G network. -- Just in case for your Info.-- is this the problem?.

mahdi n

Apr 3, 2015
Visit site
You can use testing menu by #*#4636#*#*, and in "phone information" and bellow "set prefrred network type" select wcmda only.