Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iphone 5 Vs samsung galaxy s4

Which phone do you think is better phone to buy and why?

Default Re: iphone 5 Vs samsung galaxy s4

Quote Originally Posted by tibididoo View Post
    Which phone do you think is better phone to buy and why?
    First of all your asking this question on an android forum so you will probably be lead to an android device. Second of all what are you planning to do on the device so I can recommend one of them for you and also they are both flagship phones but the iPhone 5 is near the end of its flagship life cycle as the rumored 5s is supposedly being announced around September 10th.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    chirag05 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I would like a phone that is good for games so it needs a lot of memory. I dont want it to cost too much because i want a pay as you go phone and finally i am going to keep it so i want it to be still seen as a good phone in 2 years time. Thank you for your help.

Sent from my GT-S5830i using AC Forums mobile app

I would like a phone that is good for games so it needs a lot of memory. I dont want it to cost too much because i want a pay as you go phone and finally i am going to keep it so i want it to be still seen as a good phone in 2 years time. Thank you for your help.

OK. What carrier will you be purchasing this on and are you only going to get the iPhone or gs4? Like if I find something else better would you take it?

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes although im not quite sure what carrier means but i want a cheap good gaming phone which is perceived as a 'cool' phone.

Global Posts
    6,458 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I think this question depends on what kind of user you are and what you anticipate you'll be doing with the palmtop. Games? Either. So, I'd have to recommend the S4.

Sent from my Note 8.0 LTE
    Live long and prosper.

Yes although im not quite sure what carrier means but i want a cheap good gaming phone which is perceived as a 'cool' phone.

A carrier is what company your phone has for service. The iPhone 5 is $649 off contract and the gs4 is $749. Those are high prices. If you are in the us I recommend you look up virginmobileusa.com as they have a great selection of phones for prepaid and their lowest smartphone plan is $35 for 300 minutes of talk time, unlimited texting and unlimited data, but after the first 2.5gbs on 3G your speed is lowered until next month. Also if you have 4g in your area which you could see by going to their coverage maps you get 10gbs of data while on 4g instead of 2.5gbs on 3g

Thanked by:

AT&T, Verizon, Sprint? What carrier?

Have you looked at any comparison videos of the two phones?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T

If you like a phone that is basically a 5 year old design, has a small screen, is totally controlled by the manufacturer so you can't change anything on it, and is the AOL of smartphones, then the iPhone 5 is a great choice.
    itic and chirag05 like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    AT&T, Verizon, Sprint? What carrier?

Have you looked at any comparison videos of the two phones?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T
    Yea i have looked at comparisin videos and the majority basically say that they are both very good phones.

Why do you ask this in the Nexus 4 section?

My advice: buy neither but buy a Nexus 4. The iPhone is using a closed platform where Apple is the big boss, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is full of bloatware and it uses a touchwiz interface.
    If you really want an iPhone or S4 I suggest you buy a S4 and flash a custom ROM based on AOSP.

UPDATE:
    Or better, I forgot that there was a Google Play edition of the Galaxy S4, what is not available in my country .

I think that stock Android gives the best smooth performance/reliablity and the best user experience.

You need cheap phone and you would like to pay s you go... Right.. Then you still mentioned apple product?...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Sorry i didnt realise this was the nexus section. How do i post a thread? Im new to this so im not sure what section to put them in. Thank you for your time.

Galaxy S4 Google Edition

HTC One google play edition or Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cplusplus View Post
    Why do you ask this in the Nexus 4 section?

My advice: buy neither but buy a Nexus 4. The iPhone is using a closed platform where Apple is the big boss, the Samsung Galaxy S4 is full of bloatware and it uses a touchwiz interface.
    If you really want an iPhone or S4 I suggest you buy a S4 and flash a custom ROM based on AOSP.

UPDATE:
    Or better, I forgot that there was a Google Play edition of the Galaxy S4, what is not available in my country .

I think that stock Android gives the best smooth performance/reliablity and the best user experience.
    Judging from the question and perceived smart phone knowledge I don't think flashing a custom ROM is the way to go. And bloatware/touchwiz probably isn't something you would even notice.

That said, if you're looking for something "cool" that will be relevant in two years, and you're not looking to spend too much money, I'd also suggest looking at the Nexus 4.

I don't like the iPhone for gaming because of the smaller display, otherwise it's not a bad device for somebody that's not interested in customizing it.

I have the S4 and Nexus 4, and I prefer the Nexus 4. Unfortunately Verizon gets such better coverage in my area and I use it for work so I'm forced to use them as my carrier.

There is a new Nexus expected to be out this fall that you might want to wait for if your not in a huge rush.

And the reason I recommend looking into a Nexus is because they receive timely updates so it will still be relevant in two years. Also, it's a Google owned phone and they price it lower than most companies in hopes that they make their money through the Google owned Play Store, which is where you but apps, games, etc on Android (compared to the App Store in the iPhone).

S4 via Android Central App

Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 5.0 Lollipop

Why is this in the Nexus 4 forum?
    If my post helped you out...PLEASE be kind and hit the THANKS button.

If you want a phone with so many extraordinary capabilities such as Air Gesture, smart pause, etc. And that has the better camera, screen, resolution, Pixels, Processor and with most open platform and the power of Google then S4 is the best choice until now. Can't say what would happen after rumored iPhone 5s would release. But I'm sur even that won't match GS4.

Sent from my GSIII

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by getbretweir View Post
    Judging from the question and perceived smart phone knowledge I don't think flashing a custom ROM is the way to go. And bloatware/touchwiz probably isn't something you would even notice.

That said, if you're looking for something "cool" that will be relevant in two years, and you're not looking to spend too much money, I'd also suggest looking at the Nexus 4.

I don't like the iPhone for gaming because of the smaller display, otherwise it's not a bad device for somebody that's not interested in customizing it.

I have the S4 and Nexus 4, and I prefer the Nexus 4. Unfortunately Verizon gets such better coverage in my area and I use it for work so I'm forced to use them as my carrier.

There is a new Nexus expected to be out this fall that you might want to wait for if your not in a huge rush.

And the reason I recommend looking into a Nexus is because they receive timely updates so it will still be relevant in two years. Also, it's a Google owned phone and they price it lower than most companies in hopes that they make their money through the Google owned Play Store, which is where you but apps, games, etc on Android (compared to the App Store in the iPhone).

S4 via Android Central App
    Stock android is like second class iOS it is featureless and truly ugly. Touchwiz is beautiful smooth and full of features. Last two updates on nexus devices are a joke for end user. I Dont understand why people still prefer stock android it would be better to buy an iPhone instead.

I am using nexus 4 and I wish I never bought it. So I use MIUI for features beauty elegance and reliability
    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Serial Fordicator likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zabihjan View Post
    Stock android is like second class iOS it is featureless and truly ugly. Touchwiz is beautiful smooth and full of features. Last two updates on nexus devices are a joke for end user. I Dont understand why people still prefer stock android it would be better to buy an iPhone instead.

I am using nexus 4 and I wish I never bought it. So I use MIUI for features beauty elegance and reliability
    Touchwiz is garbage.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captainbob767 View Post
    Touchwiz is garbage.

For u may be
    For me and millions of others touchwiz is king

For u may be
    For me and millions of others touchwiz is king

Millions of people love Chef Boyardee Canned spaghetti.

For fast updates and long shelf life (updated through more cycles) it's either iPhone or Nexus.

Apple iPhone 5 vs. LG Nexus 4 E960 - GSMArena.com

iPhone 5 -vs- Nexus 4:

Network connectivity and data speed - Tied for H+, but iPhone 5 has LTE - user states he will use pay as you go service so LTE is negated - TIE

Screen Size and Resolution - Nexus 4 has a .7" larger screen offering more viewing area even with the task bar - iPhone has slightly higher pixel density, but at 8 more ppi most people would be hard pressed to see the difference - both use IPS screens and Gorilla Glass - user states he wants a gaming device - Nexus 4 Wins on screen size

Storage - Neither has expandable storage - Nexus 4 tops out at 16GB and iPhone 5 at 64GB - iPhone 5 Wins storage capacity

System Memory - iPhone 5 has 1GB RAM and Nexus 4 has 2GB RAM - especially important for heavy gaming - Nexus 4 Wins system memory

Camera - both have 8 MP cameras, but iPhone gets much better reviews for their camera App and finished pics - iPhone 5 Wins on camera

Processing Power - Nexus 4 quad core krait at 1.5 GHz handles more data than iPhone's dual core 1.2 GHz CPU and as for GPU, on every benchmark where they appear side by side in this shootout, Nexus 4's Adreno 320 out performs iPhone 5's PowerVR SGX 543MP3 - Nexus 4 Wins processing power

Battery Life - while having a smaller mAH capacity, the iPhone 5 generally gets better battery endurance marks - stacked against the Nexus 4's greater capacity it is a Draw - TIE

Price - a 16GB Nexus 4 is $349 at Google Play, an iPhone 5 in 16GB is $649 from store.apple - Nexus 4 Wins big on price

For what the OP wants - Nexus 4 is the clear choice.
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
    Thanked by:
    Captainbob767 likes this.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    For fast updates and long shelf life (updated through more cycles) it's either iPhone or Nexus.

Apple iPhone 5 vs. LG Nexus 4 E960 - GSMArena.com

iPhone 5 -vs- Nexus 4:

Network connectivity and data speed - Tied for H+, but iPhone 5 has LTE - user states he will use pay as you go service so LTE is negated - TIE

Screen Size and Resolution - Nexus 4 has a .7" larger screen offering more viewing area even with the task bar - iPhone has slightly higher pixel density, but at 8 more ppi most people would be hard pressed to see the difference - both use IPS screens and Gorilla Glass - user states he wants a gaming device - Nexus 4 Wins on screen size

Storage - Neither has expandable storage - Nexus 4 tops out at 16GB and iPhone 5 at 64GB - iPhone 5 Wins storage capacity

System Memory - iPhone 5 has 1GB RAM and Nexus 4 has 2GB RAM - especially important for heavy gaming - Nexus 4 Wins system memory

Camera - both have 8 MP cameras, but iPhone gets much better reviews for their camera App and finished pics - iPhone 5 Wins on camera

Processing Power - Nexus 4 quad core krait at 1.5 GHz handles more data than iPhone's dual core 1.2 GHz CPU and as for GPU, on every benchmark where they appear side by side in this shootout, Nexus 4's Adreno 320 out performs iPhone 5's PowerVR SGX 543MP3 - Nexus 4 Wins processing power

Battery Life - while having a smaller mAH capacity, the iPhone 5 generally gets better battery endurance marks - stacked against the Nexus 4's greater capacity it is a Draw - TIE

Price - a 16GB Nexus 4 is $349 at Google Play, an iPhone 5 in 16GB is $649 from store.apple - Nexus 4 Wins big on price

For what the OP wants - Nexus 4 is the clear choice.
    Although nexus 4 wins in hardware specs but it is still slower than iPhone 5

Although nexus 4 wins in hardware specs but it is still slower than iPhone 5

In which ways?

Does it make it better for the OP's stated needs?
    Nokia Lumia 1520.3 (Factory Unlocked): Windows Phone 8.1 w/ Lumia Cyan
    Dell Venue 8 Pro (32GB): Windows 8.1 Desktop OS w/ Office 2013 H&S
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast