- 11 Posts
Installing Kernels on Nexus 4 require rooting before hand?
I have a question regarding using kernels on this phone. I was planning to run the "Franco's Kernel" on the nexus 4 to see if it improved battery life; but not sure if it requires rooting the phone first?
I see that I can download Franco's kernel updater from the google apps store, so do I just run it from there and it should be fine?
Thanks in advance.
P.S. If anyone has experience doing this or know a forum post that explains some steps, please link here. Really appreciated as I am new to smartphones.
- 08-11-2013, 10:37 PM #2
- 625 Posts
Re: Installing Kernels on Nexus 4 require rooting before hand?
Yes you need root to flash a custom kernel. If you read the app description it also says you need root. Visit the rooting, rom and hacks section on a step by step guide on how to root your device. A lot of reading is recommended. You can either choose to do it manually or through a toolkit. This is a guideline on the actions you will perform to manually root and flash the kernel:
- Download drivers and sdk
- Download a recovery image
- Boot into fasboot and unlock the bootloader
- Temporarily or permanently flash the custom recovery
- Flash supersu zip through recovery to gain root access
- Use franco's app to download and flash custom kernel or flash kernel through recovery
- By linuxalien in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly BeanReplies: 19Last Post: 12-07-2013, 06:03 PM
- By znap in forum Virgin Mobile Optimus VReplies: 10Last Post: 08-13-2013, 12:34 PM
- By Sebastian234 in forum Samsung Galaxy S4Replies: 1Last Post: 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM
- By apopc7 in forum Google Nexus 7 Tablet (2013)Replies: 0Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:52 PM
- By daleos in forum General Help and How ToReplies: 0Last Post: 08-11-2013, 08:36 PM