Not getting email notifications on my N4 - and I think it's my own stupid fault!

Pseu

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The issue: I am not seeing any "new email" notifications my (stock) Nexus 4. Emails are being received. I can see them when I open Gmail and look. But the phone has stopped telling me "Hey, pal! You have new email!" No sound, no buzz, no icon in the notification bar, no nothing.

Additional oddness that seems related: When I toggle off the "auto sync" setting (or whatever it's called - the two curvy arrows chasing each other in a circle), and then toggle it back on again, I get a triangle'd "!" in my notification bar and a "Request Permission". But when I pull down the notification shade and click on that notification, nothing happens except that I'm a) returned to my home screen, and 2) that notification disappears. I'm not actually shown any information about what that request permission thing was all about.

How I suspect I may have caused this: I was impatient for my 4.3 update. And so I did the thing where one clears the "Google Services Framework" data. Except that, like a maroon, I accidentally cleared the data on "Google Play Services" instead, before noting my error and then clearing the "Framework" which did trigger the update. This mistake broke my Google Play for a bit (wouldn't let me update or install apps), but I fixed that by removing and re-adding my Google account from the phone.

So, lovely intelligent well-dressed Android Central folks: Did I bring this unpleasantness upon myself? And, more importantly, how might I fix it?

DigitalReality

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't know what's the exact issue... But I went and checked label notifications and updated it in settings.. It started working for me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Clearing the services framework stops notifications for many apps. The process to follow if forcing the update this way is to then re add your Google account and restart the phone. Furthermore, all apps that receive notifications ie: Facebook Twitter instagram and snap chat and pretty much everything, the data has to be cleared on these apps then you have to launch them anew and go through each setup process individually for that app to give you notifications again.

I know because that's what I had to as I was no longer getting notifications. A thread at xda helped me. Straightforward but time consuming and I wouldn't update this way again unless I were really desperate. Lesson of the story for me is to never clear app data unless I know what the repercussions are. Turns out some apps or services just shouldn't be touched. Hope this helps.

Here check this out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2303434

Posted via Android Central App

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I am having this same problem. I too was impatient and cleared my phones "google services framework." I got the update, but now i am not getting any notifications. I then performed a factory reset on my phone and when I set everything back up, i still wasn't getting email, or twitter notifications. Could it be a bug in 4.3?

dubyasux

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I am having this same problem. I too was impatient and cleared my phones "google services framework." I got the update, but now i am not getting any notifications. I then performed a factory reset on my phone and when I set everything back up, i still wasn't getting email, or twitter notifications. Could it be a bug in 4.3?

Select Settings --> Accounts --> Google, press on your gmail account, place check mark in the box to the right of Gmail

Reptile1990

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, but I was able to fix the issue. I checked out the link that "agp101" posted and deleted gmails app data and then restarted the app and now it works. Thanks though!

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, but I was able to fix the issue. I checked out the link that "agp101" posted and deleted gmails app data and then restarted the app and now it works. Thanks though!

D

Your welcome. Don't forget that you'll have to do this for all apps you wish to receive notifications for. Though you did do a factory reset so maybe most apps notifications work now. If not simply clear its data and launch the app.

Posted via Android Central App