N4 will not play music via car's bluetooth, help please

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hello,

I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata with bluetooth. With my N4, phone calls work perfectly via the car's bluetooth. However, no music will play at all. Tried Play Music, Pandora, and other music apps. The phone provides a notification that bluetooth is connected and the internal speakermutes as it should, but nothing at all comes out of the car's speakers, and the radio continues to play (the radio mutes automatically when a phone call comes in).

Any thoughts, any fix?

Thanks,
b

Nonymous666

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Stupid question, but have you verified that the bluetooth volume on the phone is tuirned all the way up?

My N4 streams music OK to my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but the phone has a habit of sometimes resetting the bluetooth volume so that it's turned all the way down whenever I connect the phone.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. Where is bluetooth volume on the phone? Checked Bluetooth and Sound under Settings but did not see a volume adjustment. But I don't think it is a volume issue, because the radio keep playing, even when a music stream is started. When a phone call is made or received, the radio mutes, the radio screen disappears, and the phone interface comes up.

Sounds like the problem is with the car not the N4, but any further thoughts appreciated.

Tall Mike 2145

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
From my own experiences with Jabra's BT3030, the volume control is context driven, meaning that you get to adjust the volume of the active audio device. When you are connected and press the volume buttons, the icon in the volume bar should be the Bluetooth one, not a phone one or a speaker one.

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
@Sir Alex - Thanks, but I'm not seeing any Media Audio in the N4's bluetooth settings. It is Settings > Bluetooth > Sonata, and on Sonata the only choices are select and unselect. Where is Media Audio?

@Tall Mike 2145 - Yes, same here, but still no joy, even after increasing the audio level on the phone to max.

@N4Newbie - Thanks, they do not even list the N4, but there is a phone number, I'll try calling Hyundai. They do list the Google Nexus 1, and they claim that streaming is fully compatible.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
@N4Newbie - Thanks, they do not even list the N4, but there is a phone number, I'll try calling Hyundai. They do list the Google Nexus 1, and they claim that streaming is fully compatible.

Select T-Mobile as the carrier, LG as the phone manufacturer, then Nexus 4 as the phone model.

@Sir Alex - Thanks, but I'm not seeing any Media Audio in the N4's bluetooth settings. It is Settings > Bluetooth > Sonata, and on Sonata the only choices are select and unselect. Where is Media Audio?

It's just a guess, but I am wondering if you paired the car's phone module but not the audio system itself. Maybe you have to do both as separate operations?

bruceleer0y

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought as I just bought a new car as well and discovered the bluetooth connection in the car doesn't work for anything but phone mode. No music

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Sir Alex

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
My car stereo pairing looks like this.

Screenshot_2013-08-13-13-56-44.png

bruceleer0y is right. Some cars don't do music.

Jaysus

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
My wife drives a 2012 Hyundia Sonata, both of our N4s work perfectly in it. I have to think that Sir Alex is on the right path. Settings should look something like this:

Screenshot_2013-08-13-15-06-47.png

ETA: Lol, I took too long to read this thread, didn't I?

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks folks, my Paired Bluetooth Device screen on the N4 is 100% identical to the image posted by Jaysus. I did find the N4 on the Hyundai help page mentioned by N4Newbie (I had looked under Google instead of LG) and it says the N4 is compatible for streaming. It looks like my N4 settings are correct, must be something in the car that is not right. It should work with music.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
On my car (2013 Mazda CX-9) the bluetooth settings also look identical to what Sir Alex and Jaysus posted. I was going to recommend checking the same thing as mine plays audio just fine. Billdz, I'd go check with the dealer, might be a very simple fix under warranty.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
This Google search https://www.google.com/search?q=hyu...able+bluetooth&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official will get you to lots of sources explaining how to setup and use bluetooth audio with your Sonata.

Silly question: have you put the Sonata's audio system into bluetooth mode? I don't have bluetooth audio in my current vehicle but a recent rental did include it; there was a button on the audio system which I had to push to change the audio system's input to bluetooth (or sd card or audio input jack, etc).

billdz

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes!!! It is working now, thanks to all who offered suggestions. In the Google search suggested by N4Newbie, there is a video at
How to start streaming music from your iphone to 2011 Sonata SE via Bluetooth - YouTube
that explains how to do it with the system in my 2012 Sonata (video is from a 2011 Sonata, but my system looks exactly the same). When the Hyundai detects an incoming or outgoing bluetooth phone call, it automatically switches into phone mode. My mistake was thinking it would also switch automatically when bluetooth music was detected. But it does not switch automatically for music, it is necessary to press the Media button on the Sonata to hear the music from the N4. One push of a button, that's all it took to solve my problem.

Again, many thanks, especially to N4Newbie.

Gibscreen

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Wait so if I want to access media in my car I have to press Media? That's crazy complex! Never occurred to me.

I'm reminded of Microsoft Help where the first step is always "Is the device powered on?"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm