Nexus 4 not Deep Sleeping (No Apparent Wakelocks? Android 4.3 update)

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Shortly after updating to 4.3 I noticed sustained battery drain, even with WiFi, Data and the screen switched off; it would drop 30% overnight.

To observe what exactly my phone was doing I got BetterBatteryStats, and I got extremely fluctuating results with my N4 sometimes deep sleeping and at other times remaining awake, in spite of there being no apps running.

Ever the experimenter, I tried Deep Sleep Battery Saver and, at first, it seemed that the problem had vanished, BBS showed my phone deep sleeping (for experimentation I set DSBS to Slumberer, the maximum setting) but then after a day of using the app, my N4's insomnia returned with the phone staying awake for no reason.

What is wrong? The only real wakelock is NIpCollectorWakeLock, but that only shows a wakelock time of 52 min whereas my phone's been awake for an excess of 8 hours...

How can I forcefully induce my N4 to deep sleep? Right now I'm not concerned about missing real time updates etc.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Disable all location services and see if that solves your problem.

Thanks for your answer, I've disabled everything under Location Access. I've attached a screenshot before I put the phone aside for the night, the battery is fully charged and DSBS is running on the maximum setting...
1376671844296.jpg
Sent from my Nexus 4

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
Just fyi, I found there are two places to disable location services to avoid those wakelocks:

1. In settings/location access
2. There is also a location setting in the Google Settings app

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks guys,

1376699740766.jpg

as you can see my N4 did deep sleep for the greater part of the night, dropping 5%. Using Wakelock Detector I got the following results

1376699887573.jpg

I really have no way of knowing if the results I'm getting are because I disabled Location Services (only the WiFi bit was checked) or if it's just another fluctuation in deep sleep behavior. I'll try it for another night and see what happens....
Sent from my Nexus 4

Last edited:

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
Right, so here are the before and after screenshots of night 2:

1376804315295.jpg

1376804339083.jpg

As you can see the erratic sleeping pattern has returned :(

Suggestions anyone?

mr_nobody

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
And also post the stock battery page which show which apps are using battery. If android os is high up the list, possibly a reboot will stop its antics...

gusar2000

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
Location services and other Google toys (like current, etc) wake it up a lot. I had to disable a lot of them. Also, restricting background data do some apps helps a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

MaterialVersion842

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
So for example I left my phone off for 2 - 3 minutes and I noticed that afterward, I'd get 30% of the time NOT in deep sleep and idling at 384 mhz.

Turning off sync I got about 10-15% awake time. Better.

Location reporting is off, but I don't see how the phone doesnt idle. The thing that no one is really addressing in the OP's post # 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...wakelocks-android-4-3-update.html#post3001949) is that the phone wakelocks for 35 minutes, and 7.8% is much better than I saw, but if you add up the individual wakelocks in Wakelock Detector, it does NOT add up to 35 minutes. I've had trouble on my side figuring out what keeps my phone awake because WLD only shows part of the picture.

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
So for example I left my phone off for 2 - 3 minutes and I noticed that afterward, I'd get 30% of the time NOT in deep sleep and idling at 384 mhz.

Turning off sync I got about 10-15% awake time. Better.

Location reporting is off, but I don't see how the phone doesnt idle. The thing that no one is really addressing in the OP's post # 7 (http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...wakelocks-android-4-3-update.html#post3001949) is that the phone wakelocks for 35 minutes, and 7.8% is much better than I saw, but if you add up the individual wakelocks in Wakelock Detector, it does NOT add up to 35 minutes. I've had trouble on my side figuring out what keeps my phone awake because WLD only shows part of the picture.

Thank you! That is exactly the problem I'm trying to figure out, my phone isn't deep sleeping but there are no apparent wakelocks...

However, after disabling Location Services I did get 2 nights of continuous deep slumber, of course I'd have no idea if it's just another change in behavior...

If anybody has a permanent solution, it would be greatly appreciated!

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
To OP: do you have the Engadget app installed? Mine kept my phone awake for almost 3 hours today. I'm not sure what caused the other 7 hours of no sleep, but I uninstalled everything I downloaded since the problem started so we'll see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

JohnBB101

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
To OP: do you have the Engadget app installed? Mine kept my phone awake for almost 3 hours today. I'm not sure what caused the other 7 hours of no sleep, but I uninstalled everything I downloaded since the problem started so we'll see if that makes a difference.

No I don't, as far as I can see there are no third party apps keeping my device awake, instead, there's something wrong with the core software that doesn't put my N4 to deep sleep...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Tom Zarebczan

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my S4 running a 4.3 Google Edition Rom. Checked all google apps to make sure they aren't reporting, but the wake lock still shows in better battery stats.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
No I don't, as far as I can see there are no third party apps keeping my device awake, instead, there's something wrong with the core software that doesn't put my N4 to deep sleep...

Sent from my Nexus 4

Mine seems to have been fixed by uninstalling UCCW, skins for it, and some icon packs. Been off charger for four hours so far and just 25 minutes of awake time.

snowdroid83

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
If you're using a wireless charger there is a bug keeping the powermanagerservice.wirelesschargerdetector wake lock active for hours

Posted via Android Central App on my Nexus 4