Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Need Nexus 4 compatible external memory for holiday

Hello everyone Android Central Forums!
    I have a big problem I hope you could solve... In 6 days I'm going on a cruise and I will take a lot of photos with my Nexus 4 and I will probably need a way to backup my photos in an external drive to clean the internal memory. If the Nexus 4 supported USB OTG I would use some pendrives, but since it isn't supported I really don't know what to do... I can't use Google+/Google Drive either since I won't be able to access internet on the ship.
    Moreover I want to avoid bringing my PC with me, it's just useless during a holiday.
    I would need some sort of wifi or bluetooth hard drive... Any suggestions? Thank you!

Default Re: Need Nexus 4 compatible external memory for holiday

What ship are you cruising on? All the major lines now offer shipboard cellular access; check your cruiseline's web site or WMS Ships In Service. Of course, this may not be practical due to excessive data charges.

So... most ships also offer Internet access via dedicated desktops and/or your own device over WiFi at reasonable fixed rate ($xx for the duration of the cruise). You should be able to use the WiFi connection to upload those pics to your Google Drive account.
    Thanked by:
    GabMus 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Actually my ship has WiFi, but it is just another big unnecesary waste of money... I hope I could find a better solution.

Hmmm... Good one!

For even less money - assuming the original poster already owns a suitable SD card or USB flash drive - consider this device instead: Kingston Wi-Drive Wireless Hard Drive - Kingston. It acts as a WiFi enabled interface between your phone or other WiFi device and an SD card or flash drive. I ike it so much, I may buy one myself.

This was my first thought, too, but can this drive be written to from the phone? The description only mentions this: "Cable - miniUSB to USB cable included. User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable"

Quote Originally Posted by itslikeimsayin View Post
    This was my first thought, too, but can this drive be written to from the phone? The description only mentions this: "Cable - miniUSB to USB cable included. User can upload files and content from their PC/Mac to the Wi-Drive using the USB cable"
    The cable connection seems to be optional. Check out the user manuals:

http://media.kingston.com/support/do...SG_Android.pdf

http://media.kingston.com/support/do...al_Android.pdf

Yes works well via wifi and/or bluetooth. Amazon has oodles of different options. If you cant wait for shipping I am sure best buy or similar has options as well.

I just checked that out...that seems to be the option to go with. Allows you to use all your storage options.

Can either of the devices download image directly from a camera and serve as a storage device as it would serve the N4?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by davidhm View Post
    Can either of the devices download image directly from a camera and serve as a storage device as it would serve the N4?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    That indeed would be interesting...I believe you need to use a file explorer to transfer...but....both come with apps so not sure.......