Nexus 4 works in Japan w/ Japanese sim?

Alder69

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So...I'm taking a 3 month vacation in Tokyo from September 1st, and before I research this i'm concerned if the Nexus 4 will broadcast on Japanese frequencies. I don't think it will, I used to live in Tokyo, and their frequencies are different, and even though i snag a sim from the keitai (cellphone) rentals at Narita and use it in my Nexus, I don't think anywhere in the Nexus 4's documentation (that came with the device) specified that it was an international phone, NOR, that it needed to be, NOR that there was another Nexus 4 that Google mismanaged in promoting...(alluded to the nexus 4 play.google.com's 4 month backlog, in winter 2012/2013, and no international phone in their inventory at the time of said atrocious backloging)

nazem

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
So...I'm taking a 3 month vacation in Tokyo from September 1st, and before I research this i'm concerned if the Nexus 4 will broadcast on Japanese frequencies. I don't think it will, I used to live in Tokyo, and their frequencies are different, and even though i snag a sim from the keitai (cellphone) rentals at Narita and use it in my Nexus, I don't think anywhere in the Nexus 4's documentation (that came with the device) specified that it was an international phone, NOR, that it needed to be, NOR that there was another Nexus 4 that Google mismanaged in promoting...(alluded to the nexus 4 play.google.com's 4 month backlog, in winter 2012/2013, and no international phone in their inventory at the time of said atrocious backloging)

Do you mean different radios for the cell towers? If not than it should work.

Posted via Android Central App

Biggnaa20

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but I can tell you that the Nexus 4 sold from the Google Play store is definitely an international phone (it's not sim locked and GSM pentaband), BUT according to a quick search, most Japanese cell phone companies operate on a wCDMA band. Your Nexus can't use that.

GSM World Coverage Map- GSM Country List by frequency bands

Alder69

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
So you're saying the Nexus 4's international everywhere in only GSM countries? As your maps is showing that Japan's only 3g, and has no gSM (which i find hard to believe), the nexus 4 wont' work there...

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance