[SOLVED] Trying to Restore all my App Data to a new ROM (Cyanogenmod)

Doog Lingo

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
[SOLVED] Hello,

This is the first time for me posting in a forum asking for help about an android device so go easy. I have rooted my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 and installed TWRP 2.6.0.0 on it. That was the first time I rooted an android. I used Titanium Backup (Pro) to backup all of my user apps + system data. Then I transferred the backup to my PC. Then I created a nandroid backup using TWRP. Then I cleared the cache, dalvik cache, and factory reset the phone using TWRP. Then I installed Cyanogenmod 10.1.2 mako, which is marked as stable, along with the Gapps found on Goo.im. It worked successfully and I set up my brand new ROM. Then when I restore using TiBU ( I press the button called "Restore Missing Apps + all system data), it restores successfully until it gets to about 70% where it begins telling me that "There was a problem parsing the package" or "x App not Installed". TiBu then instructed me to reboot in order for system data to take effect after the restore, and I follow that order. Finally, my phone gets stuck in the boot animation of Cyanogenmod. I've gone in to recovery and did the entire process of flashing the CM ROM again and the same thing happened to me again. So I just restored my nandroid backup and now am on the stock ROM again. I've tried to look online but could not find any solution or reason. Remember that this was my first rooted Android device and I am not a pro at this stuff. I'm not asking for how to get out of the boot animation (I already know that), just why this problem is occuring and some possible solutions. Thank you. I think the reason is that I am not supposed to restore system data? Also, what is system data? Is it like WiFi passwords or something?

[SOLVED] i have found the solution. it was that i tried to restore system data which caused the problem. everything is great now!

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Trying to Restore all my App Data to a new ROM (Cyanogenmod)

Hello,

This is the first time for me posting in a forum asking for help about an android device so go easy. I have rooted my Nexus 4 running Android 4.3 and installed TWRP 2.6.0.0 on it. That was the first time I rooted an android. I used Titanium Backup (Pro) to backup all of my user apps + system data. Then I transferred the backup to my PC. Then I created a nandroid backup using TWRP. Then I cleared the cache, dalvik cache, and factory reset the phone using TWRP. Then I installed Cyanogenmod 10.1.2 mako, which is marked as stable, along with the Gapps found on Goo.im. It worked successfully and I set up my brand new ROM. Then when I restore using TiBU ( I press the button called "Restore Missing Apps + all system data), it restores successfully until it gets to about 70% where it begins telling me that "There was a problem parsing the package" or "x App not Installed". TiBu then instructed me to reboot in order for system data to take effect after the restore, and I follow that order. Finally, my phone gets stuck in the boot animation of Cyanogenmod. I've gone in to recovery and did the entire process of flashing the CM ROM again and the same thing happened to me again. So I just restored my nandroid backup and now am on the stock ROM again. I've tried to look online but could not find any solution or reason. Remember that this was my first rooted Android device and I am not a pro at this stuff. I'm not asking for how to get out of the boot animation (I already know that), just why this problem is occuring and some possible solutions. Thank you. I think the reason is that I am not supposed to restore system data? Also, what is system data? Is it like WiFi passwords or something?

I think the biggest problem is Titanium Backup has always had a problem with batch backups (I am guessing you did it that way). I have read many threads posting problems with that. As for how to fix it, I ma not sure, other than to do each one individually, then flash your new ROM.

Doog Lingo

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

after i did the batch backups, i verified it and I got no errors. Ill try that too. Thanks

Doog Lingo

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site

[SOLVED] i have found the solution. it was that i tried to restore system data which caused the problem. everything is great now!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for posting the solution.

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

ohyeahar

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Long-time users of TB will know that restoring system data is almost taboo.

In fact, even restoring user app data is sometimes problematic. Seems to mess up push notifications for the app your trying to restore data for. As such, I try not to restore data at all.

My preferred backup/restore process when switching ROMs:
Backup all user app&data
Create recovery flashable zip of the backed up app only
Backup Calls list, SMS, and Wifi APs to XML files.
Nandroid
Clear data/cache
Flash ROM (& gapps if required)
Reboot
Go through initial setup after boot
Reboot to recovery
Flash the zip created by TB
Device reboots automatically
Restore Calls list, SMS, and Wifi APs from XML files.

Kapsicum

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Long-time users of TB will know that restoring system data is almost taboo.

In fact, even restoring user app data is sometimes problematic. Seems to mess up push notifications for the app your trying to restore data for. As such, I try not to restore data at all.

My preferred backup/restore process when switching ROMs:
Backup all user app&data
Create recovery flashable zip of the backed up app only
Backup Calls list, SMS, and Wifi APs to XML files.
Nandroid
Clear data/cache
Flash ROM (& gapps if required)
Reboot
Go through initial setup after boot
Reboot to recovery
Flash the zip created by TB
Device reboots automatically
Restore Calls list, SMS, and Wifi APs from XML files.

Thanks for the info.
good to know your preferred steps, but can you also mention about the apps used to do each of those ??

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay